MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 02-03-06, 00:25

Default No.1 Advance Base Workshop

I have an undated 'official' RCOC Christmas card from my dad marked as 'No.1 Advance Base Workshop'. What kinds/types of vehicles would be allocated to this unit? He was rebadged to RCEME upon its formation and always told me that he was with 3CID. Did the ABW's remain part of RCOC or they change over to RECME as well?
If I can find his serial no. I'll go through Ottawa to get his service records, MLU appears to be a great place to start!

TIA, Dave
Old 02-03-06, 03:08
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: No.1 Advance Base Workshop

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Block
I have an undated 'official' RCOC Christmas card from my dad marked as 'No.1 Advance Base Workshop'. What kinds/types of vehicles would be allocated to this unit?
Hi Dave;

There were only two Canadian Advanced Base Workshops.

Some brief notes on No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop:

Serial 844A - Advanced Component, No. 1 Base Ordnance Workshop, R.C.O.C.
Authorized under authority of: GO 95/43 - Effective 20 Jan 43, Converted & Redesignated under authority of: GO 327/43 - Effective 10 Mar 43
Converted & Redesignated: Serial No. 844A - No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop, R.C.O.C. - under authority of GO 327/43 - Effective 10 Mar 43

Serial 844A - No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop, R.C.O.C.
Authorized under authority of: GO 327/43 - Effective 10 Mar 43, Serial Number changed to 913 - Effective 4 Jan 44
Serial Number changed under authority of Letter M.259 dated 4 Jan 44

Serial 913 - No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop, R.C.O.C.
Authorized by Letter M.259 dated 4 Jan 44, Disbanded under authority of: GO 401/45 - Effective 14 Aug 45.

Some brief notes on No. 2 Advanced Base Workshop:

Serial 1707 - No. 2 Advanced Base Workshop, R.C.O.C.
Authorized under authority of:GO 380/43 - Effective 26 Jul 43, Disbanded under authority of: GO 52/46 - Effective 10 Oct 45

General Notes:

Nos. 1 and 2 Advanced Base Workshop provided fourth line service in the field. These two workshops operated under the control of the Director of Mechanical Engineering 21st Army Group. After Normandy, both workshops moved to Belgium, where they remained located for the rest of the war, No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop being located in a factory at Machelen and No. 2 Advanced Base Workshop, in a factory at Antwerp.

The designation of the majority of LADs; Workshops; etc., of the Overseas Army never changed to that of R.C.E.M.E., their designation remained R.C.O.C. However, after the creation of R.C.E.M.E., new LADs; Workshops; etc., that were authorized and placed on Active Service bore the R.C.E.M.E. designation.

Cheers
Old 02-03-06, 10:45
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: No.1 Advance Base Workshop

Excellent info Mark, as always!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
After Normandy, both workshops moved to Belgium, where they remained located for the rest of the war, No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop being located in a factory at Machelen and No. 2 Advanced Base Workshop, in a factory at Antwerp.
Just a note to improve accuraccy: "Machelen" is correctly spelled "Mechelen". It is located halfway between Antwerp and Brussel.

H.
Old 02-03-06, 13:22

Dave

I am transcribing the unit histories of RCOC(E) / RCEME from WW2. It should be complete in a couple of months and if I remember, I will send you the 1 ABW section - essentially a summary of their war diary. Here is the section so far:

No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop, RCEME
The history of this unit under its present name is associated with that of No. 1 Heavy Repair Shop (MT), RCASC, Canadian Army Overseas, in that, in the course of events, the above workshop was transferred from RCASC to RCOC en bloc to form the nucleus of the present units.
No. 1 Heavy Repair Shop (MT), RCASC, was formed and recruited in Ottawa (Military District 3) and came to the UK under the command of Lt-Col G. M. Parker.
Prior to the unit coming overseas, an advance party under the command of Capt E. W. Coleman was formed on 6 January 1942 by RCASC, CAO, in the UK and despatched to Slough to commence the design and construction of the plant and buildings requisitioned from the Slough Trading Estate, the principal portion being a part of the building occupied by the Weston Biscuit Co.
The main body of the unit was taken on strength of the Canadian Army Overseas on 2 May 1942, and the main body of the AFG 1098, which was of Canadian origin, commenced arriving shortly after.
On 31 August 1942, the unit was transferred practically en bloc to RCOC and became known as No. 1 hours (?) (MT), RCOC, or alternatively under a provisionary establishment as Advanced Component No. 1 Canadian Base Ordnance Workshop, RCOC, under command of Maj J. R. Dunlop.
A 25 November 1942, Lt-Col W. L. Thompson was posted in as A/OC.
During the period from December 1942 to February 1943, all personnel were given basic training and battle drill, under the direction of Lt A. J. Greathed, attached from (?), trade tested under RCOC standards and groups were sent to 1 CORU for refresher courses in motor vehicles and other trades.
On 16 April 1943, following approval of the establishment AFG 1098-946 by Army Headquarters and CMHQ Administrative Order No. 51 (?), dated 29 March 1943, the unit became known as No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop, RCOC, and all personnel were posted to it within the establishment (504 all ranks) by ranks and trades to the unit or to No. 1 CORU as the case might be. A start was made on fitting the tools and equipment to the new AFG 1098.
Previous to the approval of the establishment, arrangements had been made with 1st Canadian Base Ordnance Workshop (CBOW) to trained personnel for the “A” vehicle section (tanks), the telecommunications section, and the instrument section. These were now organized and attached to 1 CBOW for all purposes.
The workshop output at Slough for “B” vehicles, guns, motorcycles, engine reconditioning, machine shop, and manufacturing was closely correlated with 1 CBOW in order to obtain the maximum output as governed by equipment, personnel, and workshop layout.
On 18 May 1943, Lt-Col W. L. Thompson was appointed to command No. 1 Advanced Base Workshop, RCOC.
The summer and fall of the balance of 1943 was spent in concentrating on production consistent with the training and upgrading of the personnel
Early in December 1943, it was decided as a part of the training programme to close up the shop, pack up the equipment, and move by train from Slough to the tank hangars in Crookham, Hampshire. On 17 December 1943, this exercise was started. A report was rendered and included in our war diary.
Following this move, the shop again concentrated on production and adjustments to AFG 1098 as experience indicated.
A 26 April 1944, we came under command of 21 Army Group – (?) - Headquarters Advanced Base Workshop, REME, in accordance with Admin. Order No. 3, CMHQ Great Britain.
On 15 May 1944, all personnel were transferred from RCOC to RCEME.
A detailed of our activities from D-Day to VE-Day follows.

to be continued...

Doug
Old 02-03-06, 14:59
Senior Forum Member

Hi Dave;

Just some added information for you regarding a unit that Doug mentions in his post:

Serial 845 - No. 1 Heavy Repair Shop (M.T.), R.C.A.S.C.
Authorized under authority of: GO 71/42 - Effective 24 Dec 41
Disbanded under authority of: GO 96/43 - Effective 20 Jan 43

Excellent post Doug.

Cheers
Old 02-03-06, 15:01
Senior Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: No.1 Advance Base Workshop

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Just a note to improve accuraccy: "Machelen" is correctly spelled "Mechelen". It is located halfway between Antwerp and Brussel.
Thanks Hanno, I missed that......I need new glasses.....

Cheers
Old 02-03-06, 16:48

Mark

What is your source for these serials - Col Hodgson's unpublished history of RCEME to 1946?

Do you have a soft copy of the whole list?

Doug
Old 02-03-06, 17:47
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Knight
What is your source for these serials - Col Hodgson's unpublished history of RCEME to 1946?
Hi Doug;

The source for the unit serials is my forthcoming publication ON ACTIVE SERVICE, which is a complete summary and listing of all the Formations and Units of the Military Forces of Canada, that were either Called Out on Service or Placed on Active Service, 26th August 1939 to 31st December 1946, to be published by our mutual publisher, located here (bottom left of page). I will contact you off board concerning the RCOC(E)/RCEME list you ask about.

Cheers
Old 02-03-06, 21:55

Default Wow!

I've got the feeling that you guys are just getting warmed up!
Is there a T.O.E. for the base workshops? I've gone through 'To the Thunderer His Arms', 'Canada's Craftsmen at 50!, '50 Years of Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineering' plus Stacey's 'The Victory Campaign'. Any other currently available books out there I should be aware of? I presume my dad went off with one of the L.A.D.s as he told me he was in Nijmegen and was 'adopted' by a Dutch family (wish I knew their name).
Thanks for all the input so far, it all helps.

Cheers, Dave
Old 03-03-06, 03:15
Greybeard Member

Default No.1 Advance Base Wkshp RCOC

Hi there

Library and Archives Canada (formerly the National Archives) should have a copy of the War Establishment for an Advance Base Workshop.

It's easiest if you contact the LAC and get them to dig it out for you, then travel to Ottawa to take a look at it.

I tried to get the WE for a number of units a few years ago but the actual WE document is only part of the file. Instead of 50 pages, I was told I had 500 pages waiting for me.
Turns out, the photocopied the entire contents of several files (their mistake), which included all the memos, notes and appendi attached during the file's lifetime.

It's worth the trip.

Steve
Old 03-03-06, 03:25

Default Hmmm,

That plus a visit to Vimy House & museum? Methinks I have the makings of a summer vacation plan. Hey, Honey, ROAD TRIP!

Cheers, Dave
Old 03-03-06, 03:33
Greybeard Member

Default No.1 Advance Base Wkshp RCOC

Hi Dave

As long as you are going, when you contact the LAC, have them bring out the unit War Diary.

(If Doug is finished with it )

You may find some names you recognize!

Steve
Old 03-03-06, 05:04
Senior Forum Member

Lightbulb Re: Road Trip

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Block
That plus a visit to Vimy House & museum? Methinks I have the makings of a summer vacation plan. Hey, Honey, ROAD TRIP!
Hi Dave;

This may help for your road trip:

Reference: RG24 , National Defence , Series C-2 , Volume 9903
File : 5/ADV BASE WKSHP/1 , Access code: 90
File Title: WE of a Cdn advance base workshop - RCOC [War establishment of a Canadian advanced base workshop - Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps]
Outside Dates: 1942/07-1945/02
Finding Aid number: 24-15

Reference: RG24 , National Defence , Series C-2 , Volume 9903
File : 5/ADV BASE WKSHP/1/2 , Access code: 90
File Title: WE of a Cdn advance base workshop - RCOC [War establishment of a Canadian advanced base workshop - Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps]
Outside Dates: 1945/02-1945/05
Finding Aid number: 24-15

Cheers
Old 06-03-06, 13:51

Dave

I have a copy of the WE for a Cdn advanced base workshop dated 1943.

The follow-on to the unit history on my earlier post is a summary of their war diary.

I am the secretary of the EME association and if you give me details of your Dad, I can see if someone remembers him.

Many of our RCEME units were in Nijmegen, so that is not much help, but his service records should show his units.

Contact me off forum - there is a phrase for that.

Doug
Old 06-03-06, 13:56

Dave

Follow up to my last - Directorate of History has a list of all members of RCEME to 1946 - big book. As I recall, it has no unit associations, but my memory went away when my hair went gray.
If you are going to visit DHH, make sure they look for it in the folio section (outsize) or they won't find it...

Doug