MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 21-06-13, 01:53
GM Fox I

Default Wearing of uniforms (Canada)

This article is in today's National Post. It refers to the Canadian Navy forbidding its veterans from wearing their uniforms in public, including at memorial events, without permission. Nowhere does it mention re-enactors or vehicle crews (whether veterans or not) but it seem logical that they would have even more restrictions if this stands.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06...thout-consent/

The practice in Canada at least has been that, if tastefully done, wearing of period uniforms is OK (medals not so much) especially given that once obsolete they are not officially "the Queen's uniform". Heck, they sell them in army surplus stores and have to assume they are being bought to be worn. Yet in this article it includes WW2 Navy vets.

Can of worms.
Old 21-06-13, 03:37
Bluebell

If the clothing has been legally purchased, then you probably cant be stopped.
Is this another case of "policy" verses "law"?
In peace time does military law apply to civilians?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 21-06-13, 04:19
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Hi Lynn
As I understand it, the wearing of current issue military uniforms is only permitted to serving members of the armed forces, although how can it be argued that it is any different if a person purchased surplussed uniforms from military surplus store?
I would think that vintage uniforms cannot possibly fall under any kind of stipulation as they are no longer in service or recognized as being current.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 21-06-13, 05:21
carrier mech

The cause of the problem was retired senior officers showing up in current mess dress without obtaining permission. While it is my understanding that the officer commission is for life, still, once you are out, you are out. Perhaps the senior officers might invest in a legion jacket to display their hardware.

It would seem like the protagonists are saying that the rule could be applied to navy personal from decades gone by, with obsolete vintage uniforms. That would not appear to be the intent nor aim of the directive.

I will occasionally wear period uniform with some of the WW2 vehicles when on parade. It adds to the event. So to that end I am somewhat biased towards the veterans with their obsolete uniforms and badges.

As to the wearing of surplus current uniforms from the local army surplus, the criminal code has an offense for those trying to impersonate a commissioned officer. I have seen instances where this was used, and you usually had to wonder what the offender was thinking.
Old 21-06-13, 07:21

I think there is a place for old uniforms in a proper re-enactment scenario at a show to give people an idea of what things looked like.

Having said that there is nothing more ridiculous than a fat, balding, often bearded, 60 year old wearing a young man's uniform. Even if he did actually wear a similar uniform in his youth, as mentioned above "When you are out, you are out."

Our vehicles can be brought back to their former glory but our bodys never can.

Lang
Old 21-06-13, 07:26

When we retire, we have to turn in ALL of our uniforms. If they are fit for re-issue, they will be.

Otherwise they get auctioned off by the ton. Any scmidt rat can wear them, provided that he does not represent himself af a Member of the CF.

For those of us who served, we get to buy another jacket from the Legion, or Regimental Association.

Just another way of saying, F.U.

Soldiers and Dogs, stay off the lawn!
Old 21-06-13, 07:59
Bluebell

Lang, The people that you speak of, cannot fit into the uniforms that you speak of.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 21-06-13, 09:10

Lynn,

They seem to find them somewhere.

Lang
Old 21-06-13, 09:22
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Worried

Hi Guys

I agree with Lang, nothing looks worse than someone trying to recapture their youth and trying to look like they once did, and we all know that is an impossibility. But it just doesn't look right when you see photos of guys with long hair and beards in full uniform, and we will see them again, just wait for the next lot of photos from the D-Day functions. I bet most of them are "wannabies" who never served anyway.

But what worries me is now that Canada is changing the law you can bet our politicians in Australia, the majority who have never served in the armed forces will follow the leader. I am always proud to see some of our veterans from WW2 who can still get into their uniform on Anzac Day and still march proudly with their mates, I am very sure the public watching the march also share their proud moment. But if it ever becomes law then what will happen to that terrific spectacle of the guys on horseback riding in the march as a Light Horse Troop. I think at times we go to far with political correctness.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02838.jpg (72.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02844.jpg (60.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-07-13, 11:15
Derek Heuring

Default Try and stop me.

The first jack-hole that tells me I can't wear the uniform I wore while serving in the CF is going to get a size 12 Wide combat boot impression on their back-side! I turned all my kit in when I left the CF and somehow ended up with a set of summer-weight DEUs, two sets of combats, Coveralls, Anti-Fod, and a set of desert tans. I wear them to both Remembrance Day and Memorial Day ceremonies as well as Military shows to educate the public.
Old 02-07-13, 12:26

Default Education

I thought that this post had been put to bed, especially as Clive had attached Vice-Admiral Norman's letter to the media. Too bad the educator does not understand the rules. No wonder Texans do not know anything about Canada...

Please, take a minute reread the complete post.
Old 02-07-13, 22:55
Derek Heuring

Default Not this Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
I thought that this post had been put to bed, especially as Clive had attached Vice-Admiral Norman's letter to the media. Too bad the educator does not understand the rules. No wonder Texans do not know anything about Canada...

Please, take a minute reread the complete post.
Pul-leeze, more central canadian arrogance and ignorance. That's why I was happy to leave Canada and move to an area where freedom and liberty aren't silly little catchwords but are practiced every day.

Here's a popular joke from the West Coast:

Question:

How many Toronto electricians does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer:

One. He just stands there and holds it while the Universe revolves around him.

Any time you want to put your knowledge of Canada and Texas up against my knowledge of Canada and Texas, you're on, I'll eat your frikkin' lunch!

Hanno, let Ed read this before deleting it please.
Old 03-07-13, 14:06
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
Hanno, let Ed read this before deleting it please.
Derek,

I am not ging to delete it but I am asking all participants to think twice before shooting from the hip.

Thanks,
Hanno
MLU Administrator
Old 03-07-13, 19:21
Frankencarrier owner

I understand that the British permit retired members to continue to wear their uniforms post retirement provided there is the addition of an embroidered "R" patch to the epaulettes or sleeves to indicate the wearer's status. This seems like a good solution to me.
Old 03-07-13, 00:00
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
The first jack-hole that tells me I can't wear the uniform I wore while serving in the CF is going to get a size 12 Wide combat boot impression on their back-side! I turned all my kit in when I left the CF and somehow ended up with a set of summer-weight DEUs, two sets of combats, Coveralls, Anti-Fod, and a set of desert tans. I wear them to both Remembrance Day and Memorial Day ceremonies as well as Military shows to educate the public.
I cannot support your decision as it is illegal and I have spent most of my adult life involved in enforcement and/or compliance roles. That said, I do admire your desire to respect the sacrifices made by the CAF. However, at what point do you go from representing the Army to being perceived as a person of ridicule? A year or two after retirement you probably still look good. Ten years later you start to look a little silly. It is only after 30 or 40 years later you would fall into that group of veterans that we see every year on November 11, wearing their old WWII uniforms, and we smile and wave.
Clive
Old 03-07-13, 07:18

Posted by Ed Storey:
"No wonder Texans do not know anything about Canada..."

Hi Ed,

I would think that anyone who is so far removed, as in living in Texas, who portrays any branch of Commonwealth military forces, no matter what era, would be given a "thumbs-up" for their efforts on this forum.

Your opinion is noted, but as with all opinions, everyone has one.

Thanks, David
Old 03-07-13, 13:59

Default Run Its Course

The rules concerning uniforms have been explained and this forum has run its course.
Old 03-07-13, 20:44
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DeWeese View Post
Posted by Ed Storey:
"No wonder Texans do not know anything about Canada..."

Hi Ed,

I would think that anyone who is so far removed, as in living in Texas, who portrays any branch of Commonwealth military forces, no matter what era, would be given a "thumbs-up" for their efforts on this forum.

Your opinion is noted, but as with all opinions, everyone has one.

Thanks, David
Well said David. I was pleasantly surprised when I first arrived in Texas at how many reenactors here do a Commonwealth impression. I'm never the "Lone Canuck" no matter if I'm doing my 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion or my RCE impression. Further, I was truly surprised to see several Texans in a Legion Etrangere reenactment group who's leader speaks French fluently. Zut alors!

Derek