MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 04-04-04, 15:46
GM Fox I

Default Wearing of medals by vet's descendants - Question

My Father-in-Law, a WW2 Regina Rifles veteran, just gave my son his medals, with the hope he would wear them at Juno Beach for the 60th anniversary. I just want to check with those who know if this is officially sanctioned.
Old 04-04-04, 15:58
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Wearing of relatives medals

In Australia, and I expect the convention would be similar elsewhere, it is permissible to wear the medals of a relative during a march or commemorative ceremony on the RIGHT breast. The only medals to be worn on the LEFT breast are those which the wearer is actually entitled to wear.
The Returned Services League was, for many years, against relatives taking part in parades, but with the thinning of the ranks over the years now supports it on the grounds that it keeps these ceremonies going.
Old 04-04-04, 21:43
Richard Notton

Default Re: Wearing of relatives medals

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
In Australia, and I expect the convention would be similar elsewhere, it is permissible to wear the medals of a relative during a march or commemorative ceremony on the RIGHT breast. The only medals to be worn on the LEFT breast are those which the wearer is actually entitled to wear.
The same for the UK, however, my _understanding_ is that it is only acceptable for _direct_ relatives.

R.
Old 04-04-04, 22:56
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Wearing of medals by vet's descendants - Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
My Father-in-Law, a WW2 Regina Rifles veteran, just gave my son his medals, with the hope he would wear them at Juno Beach for the 60th anniversary. I just want to check with those who know if this is officially sanctioned.
Hi Bruce.

I'm wondering if your father-in-law was with any of the others who were captured/executed by the Hitlerjugend in June 1944?

Regardless, he must have a lot of stories to share. I hope you've heard some from him (and I AM glad he came home whenit was all over!)

Carman
Old 04-04-04, 22:59
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Same same....

Same same Canada Bruce ..Right side unless you win 'em ..

Your son qualifies to wear his grandfathers medals because he is a direct decendant through your wife..
You don't qualify because you are not a decendant..
As understand it..
Old 05-04-04, 09:31

Wearing of a relative's medals is not allowed in Canada.

This from the DND Directorate of History and Heritge:

Question
May I wear a relative's medals?

Answer
Article 419 of the Criminal Code of Canada prohibits the wearing of orders, decorations and medals by anyone other than the individual who was awarded the honour.

This from Veteran's Affairs:

Can I wear my father's (brother's, relatives') medals?

Medals may only be worn by the veteran. It is a criminal offense to wear military medals that someone else has earned.

Legion Magazine published the following in their Sept/Oct 2001 issue:

"The Legion firmly believes that whenever a Canadian is seen wearing a medal, he or she will be recognized for the contributions to the country that earned the honour. A move to let others wear the medals--even if meant as a gesture of respect--would compromise the high standards of Canada's relatively new honours system."

And another editorial in Legion:

http://www.legionmagazine.com/frontl...ials/01-05.asp

Here is a link to discussion of the issue in a Private Member's Bill (C-300 I think) in Hansard in 1999, but as far as I know, the Bill was withdrawn and above rules still stand.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/36/2/parlbus/c...099_1900-e.htm

The practice of relatives wearing medals is allowed in Australia:

http://www.dva.gov.au/commem/commac/...ance_facts.pdf

And New Zealand:

http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/medals/info/wearingmedals.html

I don't have a reference to the official policy in the UK at this time.

Gord Crossley
Old 05-04-04, 16:07
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Wearing of medals by vet's descendants - Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
My Father-in-Law, a WW2 Regina Rifles veteran....
Bruce, ask him if he ever knew Walter Belfontaine. He was with them from the beginning, and landed on D-Day. He's dead now, but he was my first CO when I got into CIC.

On the question of medals, I agree with Gord; it used to be permitted but no longer. Have Frank Misztal clean them up and mount them on your wall.

BTW, does your post suggest you're going to Normandy this June?
Old 06-04-04, 03:38
GM Fox I

Default Juno Beach

Yes, son and I will be attending the 60th anniversary ceremonies at Juno Beach.
Old 06-04-04, 03:43
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Dammit...

Why didn't you tell me? I'll be there as well, with SUNRAY MINOR... read the other appropriate threads. We HAVE to hook up. I'll call you this weekend!

G.
Old 13-04-04, 04:05
Old Sigs Type

Default Re: Re: Wearing of medals by vet's descendants - Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
... On the question of medals, I agree with Gord; it used to be permitted but no longer. Have Frank Misztal clean them up and mount them on your wall. ...
Thanks for the plug, Geoff.

For those who would really feel proud to be in a veterans' parade on behalf of a deceased immediate relative who was a veteran, I'd suggest you carry framed medals in that parade. It would show your pride and the respect you have for a relative's sacrifice. I'm sure this would also get media attention. It's happened in Ottawa on Remembrance Day.
Old 23-04-04, 09:09

I started off in the Regina Rifles at the rank of RFN, back at the Regina Armouries, and that was the gateway to my career back in 1976. Every June the reunion was held. Sometimes in Prince Albert, other times Regina, and Saskatoon.

That old Armouries. I was back in 2000, and it even smelled the same, and on flowed some good ole memories.

A few names that come to mind was Grayson and Chisholm. I know that Grayson passed away late 80s early 90s, but I still Hear that Dennis Chisholm is still around. He is tall and thin, and was known as CPL Pullthrough.

Grayson was quite the character taking out a bunker all by himself, capturing many enemy. He was later raked over by a MG42, and his wounds were problems for the reast of his life. May he rest in peace.

MAJ Stewart Mein, CD wrote a book about The Johns, and its good reading. Best to try to contact the RRR orderly room in Regina to see if you can buy a copy thru their kit shop.

I know that the RCL was a bit fussy with the wearing of loved ones medals about 10yrs ago. I hope to encourage the torch to be passed to the next generation, they have backed off a bit.

Up The Johns!

Wes
Attached Images

Old 24-04-04, 03:28
GM Fox I

Default Thanks

As a son-in-law of a WW2 John B Coy Bren gunner, all what you say is correct and good advice. Many thanks. At Juno Beach, for the 60th D-Day anniversary, my son will be carrying, rather than wearing, his gr'paws medals, cap badge and titles.

Yes, Up The Johns!!
Old 24-04-04, 04:16

I still hold the Regiment close to my heart, as that was where it all began for me, and look where I am now!

I'll be thinking about the 60th anniversary of the Normandy Invasion, and it just seems like yesterday the 60th of Vimy happened.

It would be nice to be back in Regina for the 06 June anniversary, at Wascana Park, where the 28th Bn and the RRR memorials are.

With such a signifigant anniversary, I am sure the Regiment will be very involved.

However I would rather be back on the Normandy Beachead where the RRR came to shore. One day I will.

Sadly as the ranks thin of our Vets, I hope in good commonsense the RCL and the Cdn Govt will follow the footsteps of Australia, NZ and the UK in the wearing of such medals. The tradition must be carried on to the younger generations, who then can wear their relatives medals in respect and honour.

ANZAC Day grows stronger every year, and this is for many reasons, but the relatives of the Diggers who have passed on, wear their medals to honour them, and to recognise the sacrifice of over 100,00 Australians who died in 20th century wars.

Even under warnings from the Aust Govt ( www.dfat.gov.au ) warning Australian citizens not to attend Gallipoli this year do to the terror threat, it is reported that more than ever are returning to ANZAC Cove this year. The spirit will not be smothered, by guttless cowards.

Sadly all ADF personnel have been denied travel to Gallipoli this year for security reasons.

For ANZAC Day tomorrow, I'll be mustering up at the Cronulla RSL www.cronullarsl.com.au for the dawn service before 0500, I'll have on my CF medals awarded to me, along with WWI medals from my Great Uuncle (267104 PTE RF Allen late of the 28th Bn CEF) who was killed at Passchendaele. I will not be doing the dawn service with my Army unit this year.

My wife Nancy will proudly wear her father's medals, as he was RAAF and fought the Japs at Darwin, NT.

Then off to the city, to march with the RAEME Assn in the City of Sydney, and have a few too many 'tubes' with some old mates from the RAA Assn too, then take the free public train home (free to all soldiers past and present).

Its my last ANZAC Day in Sydney for me, as I am posted in early 05 to Brisbane. We will be enjoying our new home at Pacific Harbour on Bribie Island www.bribie.com.au

Up The Johns!

Wes

Last edited by RAEMETIFFYSGT; 24-04-04 at 13:28.
Old 24-04-04, 04:38

Just took this pic of todays paper. it sums it up doesnt it!

Some sites for ya. www.news.com.au

www.dailytelegraph.com.au www.army.gov.au

Regards,

Wes
Attached Thumbnails
im002637.jpg