MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-05-04, 19:53
Vets Dottir

Default Canadian Soldiers New Look

I found this story interesting I don't know anything much about Soldiers uniforms. I wonder what they typically have to carry with them at all times and how much weight they're lugging around as they do thier duty.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/Wa...442583-cp.html

Carman
Old 01-05-04, 22:38
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Canadian Soldiers Nw Look

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
I found this story interesting I don't know anything much about Soldiers uniforms. I wonder what they typically have to carry with them at all times and how much weight they're lugging around as they do thier duty.
Karmen, in their day patrols around their asigned aeas in Afghanistan, they'll typically be wearing their uniforms (as you see them here) plus flak vests, web gear, most likely two canteens of water, a standard ammunition loadout and communications equipment.

Others more current than I can advise as to the details.

In operations out on the field for days or weeks on end, you can expect a substantially higher load, in the order of 80 to 100 lbs, in addition to their weaponry. They're VERY fit young men...
Old 02-05-04, 00:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Canadian Soldiers Nw Look

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Karmen, in their day patrols around their asigned aeas in Afghanistan, they'll typically be wearing their uniforms (as you see them here) plus flak vests, web gear, most likely two canteens of water, a standard ammunition loadout and communications equipment.

Others more current than I can advise as to the details.

In operations out on the field for days or weeks on end, you can expect a substantially higher load, in the order of 80 to 100 lbs, in addition to their weaponry. They're VERY fit young men...
Thanks Geoff.

I assume what the Soldiers wear and lug around depends on all sorts of things like climate and purpose, expected duration, and so forth. Common-sense really

I think I'll nip over to my Uncle'sthread and ask ... What would the Soldiers, like my Uncle, have been wearing and lugging around when they landed on the Normandy Beach? .... anyone who can answer this can follow me over to the History Section .............

"Karmen"