MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 02-11-06, 16:22

Default Carrier engine care

Hi,

My dad and I got to take our "new" carrier for a test spin.
It was quite an interesting experience for a first timer in a tracked vehicle.
The only problem she seems to lack guts, especially when turning to the point where it kept stalling.
Plus she started to overheat.

(Above is my dad giving her full throttle)

On inspection of the engine we found a few things that need attention.

(1) The twin fan belts have perished, is there an of the shelf replacement? If so what size/brand ?
(2) A couple of the spark plugs could do with replacing. What brand/size do you guys use?
(3) The radiator seems to be full of rust "mud" , after a good flush do you use standard car radiator fluid ?
(4) We ran her on premium unleaded (96 octane) with a lead replacement additive. Could this be a problem?

Thanks for your help, hopefully we can get her running well for the weekend

CARRIER-MG-LP No2A (1941)
Old 02-11-06, 16:35
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Thread..

Rohan
Read this thread...

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...arrier+turning

We have had these discussions a zillion times and they are all here..
Use the search function and
try ..
carrier brakes...carrier steering..carrier timing...
and you will find a whole lot of answers allready here..
Good luck..nice carrier and get some manuals..
Keep us posted..
Good luck.
Old 03-11-06, 10:15

Default fan belt

Thanks for the tip, I've found the spark plug details I was after.

I've just sourced an original Australian 1941 "Workshop-Repairs and Maintenance" manual, which is fantastic but it doesn't give me the size/details of the fan belt.
If someone would be kind enough to post the size/details of an Australian available replacement fan belt that would be great.

CARRIER-MG-LP No2A (1941)
Old 05-11-06, 09:55
Bluebell

Default Rohan

Nice LP2. Take your old belt to the shop as a sample. Use mono grade engine oil.(Heat transfer is better) Flush out the cooling system and use a good corrosion inhibitor in it. Us thermostats. Timing WILL be different.(Probably needs retarding) war time octane rating of fuel was about 68, so the lowest(91) octane petrol will be fine( your compression ratio is about 6.5:1 Modern cars are up around 10.5:1).
These machines by modern standards are pretty gutless. To turn her sharply will require 1st or 2nd gear. When you apply the brake at one side, the other side is sped up to twice the speed. Thjis uses a few horses. She weighs about 4.5 tons and in soft going, she's working hard to turn. It will take a bit of practise (as you will now know) just to get her rolling, and keep her moving as you change fom first to second gear. Aust. carriers would be the heaviest, so we assume you have at least an 85H.P. motor. (hopefully) How about some more pictures, interior etc
She looks good, spend the time to iron out the bugs, look after her, and have fun!

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 07-11-06, 00:38

Default brakes

hello rohan
lookin good , thats great to see you have finally got the old girl going and looks like you have a bit of space out there at wanneroo.
if you havent already worked it out with the above information then maybe i can help.we had the same problems with ours and this is the simple way of fixing it

feel the back hubs and more than likely they are too hot. if so then this is also the reason the motor is overheating as the motors trying to push you with the brakes on.
you have top and bottom adjustment for the brakes so back off which ever you think is too tight. if your carrier rolls forward once you have hit the clutch this is good as it means there is no pressure on the brakes. the trade off is you loose steering so adjust as per specis and a little trial and error and you should get a happy medium. if not then sorry but the hubs got to come off and you may find linkages rusted up of the pads are worn out.

good luck

cheers
geoff mcdonald