MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 28-12-14, 18:01
MLU Administrator

Default Summer 1945, Eibergen, Holland: please identify

"Who can identify the soldiers in this photo?"

A question often asked, even when few clues are available. In this case the picture was taken in the summer of 1945 in Eibergen, The Netherlands. Eibergen is a small town close to the Dutch-German border, just south of Enschede.

zomer van 1945 in Eibergen.jpg

The soldier on the left was called "Dusty" and the one on the right was called "Mitch Claude / Cloude / Claud". Mitch came from Quebec.
They stayed in Eibergen for a longer period of time and the owner of this picture would like to be able to identify these soldiers, or at least their unit.

Who can help? Please post your input here, I have pointed out this thread to the owner of this picture.

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 28-12-14, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
The soldier on the left was called "Dusty" and the one on the right was called "Mitch Claude / Cloude / Claud". Mitch came from Quebec.
Hi Hanno,
Most people nicknamed "Dusty", have the surname Miller, so might be a clue to search.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 28-12-14, 19:19

Default questions

The rank appears to be identifiable as both being Snr NCO's, one CWO the other MWO, perhaps the RSM and CSM from the French Canadian infantry unit there at time? Le Régiment de Maisonneuve fought in Gronigen with the FGH and BCD's, which is a long way off, but I do not know the movement history of that unit. Due to the rank of these two there should be very few names to pick from. Le Régiment de Maisonneuve remained in Netherlands through December, 1945.

I am discounting the neck ties as not identifiable to colour between black and OD. I am not suggesting the Unit association based on the Province of origin for Claude being PQ, but I believe with that Francophone name and original information indicating he is from Quebec it is a common sense starting point.

There is a private museum in Neede that is dedicated to Canadian infantry and armoured units involved during 1944-1945. That resource, combined with help from Lt. Col. Bergeron here on MLU may be a good start. As well as Archives Canada and the Regimental museum(s).

Where did the picture come from, are there others with it that may give more detail, what is marked on the back, if anything, who knows the billeting history in the local area?

Last edited by Michael R.; 29-12-14 at 05:35.
Old 28-12-14, 20:42

For what it is worth, 'Mitch' looks older of the two and he is wearing a wedding band. Also quite likely his first name is probably 'Mitchell', but as far as a search of Regimental Records goes, be sure to consider 'Mitchell' not being his first name, but rather his preferred name. Military records frequently have the name in full.

David
Old 29-12-14, 04:20

Default picture

Thanks Ross for the heads up.

I have seen that picture somewere before... i will search my library.

Not enough information for now to make a determination .

Le Régiment de la Chaudière ended the war in Emden. They then moved on to Utreck to wait for repatriation.

Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal, Le Régiments de Maisoneuve and the Van Doos ( R22R ) all had French speaking members and were in the general area in 45.

Good luck with your search.

Robert
94 LSVW
Old 29-12-14, 12:29
MLU Administrator

Thank you for the leads!

I have passed on this link to Wilco, if he has anything to add I will post it here.

H.