MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 16-01-08, 10:59

Default Another question

Does anyone know what thread is used on the end of the axles on our carriers is it just a standard one ?or a special size and thread,?
Regards,
Ron,
Old 16-01-08, 12:09
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Could you be specific as to which thread you are referring to?
The Differential axle (Wheel studs, Axle Shaft Flange studs, or Wheel Bearing nut?), or the road wheel and idler axles?
Old 16-01-08, 12:43

Default Threads,

Hi Tony,
thanks for the reply, the ones that I wish to know about are the road wheel and idler wheel
thank you,
Ron
Old 17-01-08, 00:08
RIP

Default SP Parts

Hi Ron
The Manuals do not give any specifications for what you are after. The spindle assemblies including their individual parts are categorised as SP Assemblies, i.e. they come complete and cannot be made up from off the shelf hardware. The rational was that if was safer to provide the complete assembly into the field than have field repairs. The only way out of this is to measure the threads with one of those measuring devices. I will probably encouter the same problem later on with Phoenix so if you or anyone else can get these measurments it would be helpful. If not I'll dig out my track stuff and get the measurements myself.
Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 17-01-08, 01:43

Default BSF thread

the treads are a special cut, not off the shelf. If you require nuts or axles you will need to have someone with a thread cutting lathe to make them. There is no tap or die available. I use a thread file to clean up axles, on bad condition I get the threads recut on a lathe, nuts the same, either re-cut on a lathe or replace nut.

You home Sunday Ron???

Rob
Old 17-01-08, 06:53

Default Threads,

Hi Bob,
My axcles are fine I posted a question some time back regarding the tool that you screw onto the axcle to remove it after first taking off the nut, you then thump the tool with a big hammer and drive out the axcle to remove the wheel, I use a brake press but thought that I would like to use an original tool.I have been to a machine shop today and problem solved,
But thanks for the prompt reply I always know that I can count on you.
Regards
Ron,
Old 17-01-08, 06:58

Default Sunday

Hi Rob,
Yes mate should be here after lunch, I have found someone to do the lath work I have a good big lath here but dont fancy bothering with the threads, I have that cross shaft here for you also so remind me when you get here,also that large bin,
Regards,
Ron,
Old 17-01-08, 07:18

Default special thread

Hi Rob,
Just been thinking about those special threads, and I think that if in the future we encounter problems sourceing
original axcles there is no real reason why we could not turn down any damaged thread part and recut them in a lath and then fit a standard off the shelf nut, gawd I amaze me when I am sober I had better learn to cut threads,
See you Sunday,
Rom,
Old 17-01-08, 07:50

Trouble turning down the original thread for a smaller sizr is probably not the best solution. When carrier axles were made, they took an existing size and increased the number of threads per inch to increase the holding strength of the nut. If a standard TPI thread was not up to the job, I would be hesitant to reduce the overall diameter for the sake of matching it up to a nut. I took some existing castle nuts in metric, with the correct socket size, and reduced their length, machined out the metric thread & just enough is left for the UNF thread.

If you were manufacturing stub axles from scratch then by all means go for an available nut providing it was up for the torque.

PS If you are getting that tool made up get 3 made- it saves the press trashing your spub axle threads when it's a tight-un & I will have 2.

Rob
Old 17-01-08, 08:13

Default stub axcles

Hi Rob,
I agree with what you say regarding reducing the size of the axcle, but when you consider the distance any of them may or may not travel ? making them up from scratch would be a good option in the future, but right now I think we have enough for our needs I guess I was just thinking out loud, but its good to hear comeone elses point of view,
I will keep you informed on the tool manufacture with this tool its possable to remove the axcle and wheel without having to take off the complete bogie,
good to hear from you and thanks for the input,
Regards,
Ron
Old 17-01-08, 08:22

Trouble turning down the original thread for a smaller sizr is probably not the best solution. When carrier axles were made, they took an existing size and increased the number of threads per inch to increase the holding strength of the nut. If a standard TPI thread was not up to the job, I would be hesitant to reduce the overall diameter for the sake of matching it up to a nut. I took some existing castle nuts in metric, with the correct socket size, and reduced their length, machined out the metric thread & just enough is left for the UNF thread.

If you were manufacturing stub axles from scratch then by all means go for an available nut providing it was up for the torque.

PS If you are getting that tool made up get 3 made- it saves the press trashing your spub axle threads when it's a tight-un & I will have 2.

Rob
Old 17-01-08, 08:26

Default Sober??

Hey Rob,
What are you drinking, I am seeing double or you posted twice, does the little woman know you are at the pub? and not at work,Ha Ha,
Ron,
Old 17-01-08, 10:54

The joys of trying to surf the net at work.......I try to surf MLU while dealing with my mechanics, parts people, sales people, detailers etc... come through my office........ back to work you scurvy dogs......

Rob