MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 22-12-14, 02:56
VMVC

Default Mystery parts for Ford CMP vehicle

Hi John,

Hope you don't mind me adding to this thread. Seems sensible to not create a new posting every time someone needs mystery parts identified. Might even be worth keeping it ongoing for that reason. Over to the administrators on that one.

I have two parts I removed form a Ford CMP cowling many years ago, (before digital cameras when I started documenting everything!) The first is in the correct position as far as I remember. The second item I just haven't got any idea where it came from or its purpose.

The first are two short rods attached to both sides inside the cowling. I've had 3 cowlings over the years and only one had these rods.
Some work went into them so not sure if it was a field modification or just some bush engineering solution to solve a problem for a civvie owner. Both ends have been drilled for cotter pins.
I am reluctant to get rid of them or weld the cowl holes shut until I can be satisfied they were not an Army modification.

The second items are two round plates with the three holes as shown. They have been stamped out so I feel they were not a bush engineering solution.
As with the arms, only one of the three cowlings had these two plates. I searched for a logical place for them to go but haven't found any.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and a Merry Christmas to all on MLU.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0093.jpg   IMG_0094.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 11-12-22, 01:38
Mariano Paz

Hi Jacques
I found this thread and want to ask you for the round plates with the three holes... are the same for both left and right holes?
Left hand hole seems to be for defroster?
Attached Thumbnails
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 20.26.29.jpeg   WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 20.26.28.jpeg  

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 11-12-22, 20:06

Default Rods

The later cab 11 and the cab 12 had rods to hold the doors open to increase the ventilation inside the cab. I am not sure where they attached inside the cab but I think there was a hole in the top edge of the door for the rod.
Old 11-12-22, 21:01

Photos of reproduced door hooks in Bob Carriere's Cab 11 C15A. The hooks were reproduced with reference to an original and the dash carefully measured (at least twice) before drilling. The hooks use the sockets in the door top intended for the side curtains. After all, it would be truly unusual to want both the weather protection of the side curtains and the extra ventilation given by the hooks...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05360.jpg   DSC05361.jpg  
Old 11-12-22, 22:33

Default Door hooks

Thanks for the pictures Grant. I knew Bob’s truck had the hooks but I couldn’t remember the configuration.
Old 12-12-22, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Photos of reproduced door hooks in Bob Carriere's Cab 11 C15A. The hooks were reproduced with reference to an original and the dash carefully measured (at least twice) before drilling. The hooks use the sockets in the door top intended for the side curtains. After all, it would be truly unusual to want both the weather protection of the side curtains and the extra ventilation given by the hooks...
Those hooks look spot-on!.....with that wonky squaire-ish eye faithfully reproduced; well done. I often see these hooks on restored vehicles with a rubber grommet through the eyelets on the dash. Does anyone know if this is a period thing? Or more a way of removing rattle on a restored vehicle? I have the hooks for my C8 but haven't found a source for suitable grommets yet.

Quote:
The first are two short rods attached to both sides inside the cowling.
Jacques, that rod looks so familiar, but in a different location though.....I just can't remember where.....maybe something to do with the throttle linkage on a 216 chev engine(?).
I haven't seen the rod in the location you pictured before....but it could still be an Australian period fitting.
Old 12-12-22, 17:43

Default heater outlet

I see that plate covering a hole at the lower rear of the Ford Doghouse on another thread showing a ford heater that runs off the exhaust manifold, sorry for not bookmarking the thread. update, I see you were at that thread lately.http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...2&d=1609677484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Hi John,

Hope you don't mind me adding to this thread. Seems sensible to not create a new posting every time someone needs mystery parts identified. Might even be worth keeping it ongoing for that reason. Over to the administrators on that one.

I have two parts I removed form a Ford CMP cowling many years ago, (before digital cameras when I started documenting everything!) The first is in the correct position as far as I remember. The second item I just haven't got any idea where it came from or its purpose.

The first are two short rods attached to both sides inside the cowling. I've had 3 cowlings over the years and only one had these rods.
Some work went into them so not sure if it was a field modification or just some bush engineering solution to solve a problem for a civvie owner. Both ends have been drilled for cotter pins.
I am reluctant to get rid of them or weld the cowl holes shut until I can be satisfied they were not an Army modification.

The second items are two round plates with the three holes as shown. They have been stamped out so I feel they were not a bush engineering solution.
As with the arms, only one of the three cowlings had these two plates. I searched for a logical place for them to go but haven't found any.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and a Merry Christmas to all on MLU.

Cheers
Old 12-12-22, 22:00
VMVC

Default Mystery parts- Ford CMP

Thanks, guys, for all the replies.

Great to finally know where the round plates were used. Now the only question is why they were on a truck without a heating/defrosting system. There were no holes in the engine cover that needed a cover plate.

The rods may have been "borrowed" from another truck based on the good information supplied. Only speculation, but perhaps to steady an air cleaner?
My first truck had a piece of flat bar bolted to the intake manifold then attached to a bolt brazed to the air cleaner. All because the original carby clamp was missing. Those rods would just about do the same job.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 12-12-22, 22:52

Jacques,

Perhaps the key to that question is the combination of imported Canadian parts and Ford Australia parts that were combined to make an 'Australian' Ford cab? Cab frame = Canadian and sheet metal such as gearbox & engine covers = FMC.

Mike