MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 20-09-18, 11:58
Does he look like a Blitz

Default Just a Dash

Hello wise ones ..
Hoping to get some info on Chev cab 13 dashes.
Would like to know the years which were used and which I should retain/restore.
Have just acquired a new C15A project: sunshine cab is shot but has car-like instrument panel (brown pic)
Replacement cab I sourced for it has Canada plate and Holden badge and dash has 5 gauges (green pic).
Sourced some gauges from a wreck in the bush with different dash again (orange pic).
Be interested to know which is more desirable, suitable, achievable???
Attached Thumbnails
Dash DH.jpg   Dash Eugowra.jpg   Dash SF.jpg  
Old 20-09-18, 12:38

The left and right dashes are patterns that are common in Canada, I haven't seen one like the middle one here. In general, the pattern with the civilian pattern instrument cluster is earlier than the one with the individual instruments but there are multiple examples of early features (not just dashes) showing up on late trucks (probably due to the supply system). Interestingly, the Canadian data plate on the middle panel is an earlier pattern. Also the middle panel is clearly not a bush-engineered special. If it isn't a common Australian thing, is it possible it was made of parts adapted from another vehicle? .
Because of commonality with civilian vehicles, it may be easier to find restoration services for that pattern but the parts aren't always easy (or cheap) to find. The round instruments look like later, common fitments but are not always an exact match. An example is the change from ammeter to voltmeter and from black and white to coloured face. Also M series instruments were usually backlit instead of having lights mounted on the front of the panel.
Old 20-09-18, 14:00

Surely the dash in the top right photo is just an early panel intended for the civilian style cluster fitted with an adapter plate to take the later instruments. I would guess that this is an Australian mod in the interests of standardisation when the civilian clusters became hard to source from the military supply chain.

As Grant says the 'standardised' round gauges come in many variations but at least they fit the holes ! Also reproductions of the more common ones (like for jeeps) are available.

David
Old 20-09-18, 14:01

Default Interesting

Following on from David Herbert's post, 9th photo down on this site:

http://www.tuberadio.com/BLITZ/blitz.html

Looks the same as your second photo. Two dash panels the same suggests this was an authorised mod. Could this be an interim modification to use up earlier dash panels when the later instruments started coming into use? Or a later field mod to replace damaged instruments from an earlier (civvy style) dash?

Then again, could a shipment of the civvy instruments have been lost on it's way to Australia? i.e. plenty of dash panels, but no instruments?

Owen.
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406

Last edited by Owen Evans; 20-09-18 at 14:04. Reason: David beat me to it!
Old 20-09-18, 14:31

Here comes another MLU diversion from original topic -
In the photos shown at the link referenced by Owen there is a photo of the horn bracket mounted on the passenger side toe plate. Is this an Australian production variation or bush engineering? I'm more used to seeing them on the intake manifold (or wherever was convenient when a later engine without the lug on the manifold was substituted).
Attached Thumbnails
CMP horn location.jpg  
Old 20-09-18, 15:32
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
Surely the dash in the top right photo is just an early panel intended for the civilian style cluster fitted with an adapter plate to take the later instruments. I would guess that this is an Australian mod in the interests of standardisation when the civilian clusters became hard to source from the military supply chain.

As Grant says the 'standardised' round gauges come in many variations but at least they fit the holes ! Also reproductions of the more common ones (like for jeeps) are available.

David
My understanding is that the type in the middle was adopted by the Australian Army by utilising a late-production GMC CCKW insert and standard military gauges, but I do not have any documented references for this view, or a date when this was implemented. It is reasonably common to find this insert fitted in early build "civilian dash" Chevs in Aust.

The 1st and 3rd pictures are the only type mentioned in the Chevrolet CMP parts manuals.
Old 20-09-18, 18:32

Default Dash - - - - -

Sometimes it makes you think they used what they had in the parts bin since I have record of Australian contract trucks (C60 with 16 inch wheels and axles) (still in Canada) assembled a few weeks a part in late 1944 and one had a civilian cluster the other round gauges......where they made that way or field repairs.....?

Repro Civilian cluster reached a peak of $999 US on Ebay a few years ago but now can be found around $500.......... round gauges may still have the price advantage.

It is your truck you make it look the way you want and drive it........let some one else prove you wrong
Canada