MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-17, 11:13
Ian Williams

Default Timber or steel C15A or F15A or F15 Body Drawing

Hi All,

Does anyone here have drawings/blueprints for C15A F15A C15 F15 Timber or steel tub/rear/tray etc? I intend to make one from scratch so I would be very appreciative of any measurements, or any drawings.

PS DON'T RUSH Rome took two days to build!

I am intending to build from pine or sheet steel and not hardwood or full gauge as it will never be used for carrying heavy loads, just show.

Cheers Ian.

F15A,
2x Army Land Rover 88' sIIA's
GPW
Other stuff
Old 05-05-17, 12:20

A set of AutoCAD drawings have been made by Ted Gil of a (steel) 2J1 body for the 15cwt. I haven't used them to build a body as proof of concept but they do look good.
see http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12216
Old 05-05-17, 12:52
Niels Vegger

There is also a set of near complet drawings of the wooden body used, in a thread some where here on mlu
1955 Austin Champ, 04BF45
Old 05-05-17, 15:15

I've got my hand drawn sketches I did when making my tailgate. I just haven't redrawn them on CAD.

Grant, did you get a copy of his drawings? The last few posts on that thread from 7 years ago was no one had heard back from him.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-05-17, 15:55

I did buy a copy. He was only selling them hard copy, on 11x17 paper. I asked if he would consider selling them as .dwg files so I could get them printed on larger paper if giving them to a production shop. He was not interested in electronic distribution as it would be so easy for people to make "just one copy for a reliable friend" and pretty soon he has lost control of his document. He was concerned enough about it that he has registered a copyright on the drawings. If you are looking for contact information for Ted I can try to find what I used.

I have to say that I understand and mainly agree with him. I have the same issue when it comes to the reproduction manuals. There is considerable effort and time involved in scanning a 300 page manual so I would like some return on the effort and also the time and money spent acquiring the manuals.
Old 05-05-17, 16:00

Ok good to know the drawings were made. I fully understand what you've said.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-05-17, 16:13
David Pope

Here's my thread on the wooden 2C1 box.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 06-05-17, 05:19
Ian Williams

Default Looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
David,

That is what I am after. I want to do a timber back as it is somewhat lighter than the steel ones. The old girl doesn't need any extra weight so I will follow your lead. I will probably have a million questions to ask in time.

I bought Blueprint for Victory many years ago, which has some very good photographs. Ahh well, I can put it on the 'to do' list now.

Cheers,

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 06-05-17, 08:53

Default Re

G'day Ian,

I have not got drawings for timber tray mate! But I did build one for my Fordson WOT2h truck if you like I could build you one if you are interested, I try to upload some photo's of my tray but it didn't work so Ian have a look at my FB page you will see some there.

Regards
Ian
1945 No4 Trailer (Fmc) (Restored)
1941 Fordson WOT-2H
194? G506 Chevy truck (Yankee Joe)
Old 06-05-17, 11:08
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth65pac View Post
I am intending to build from pine or sheet steel and not hardwood or full gauge as it will never be used for carrying heavy loads, just show.
Contrary to popular belief, only the cross members were made of hardwood, the planking was softwood so you would be good using pine. I'll look up the thread with that info later.
Old 07-05-17, 07:41
VMVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth65pac View Post
That is what I am after. I want to do a timber back as it is somewhat lighter than the steel ones. The old girl doesn't need any extra weight so I will follow your lead. I will probably have a million questions to ask in time.
Hi Ian,

You may be surprised at the weight of a steel body. I can lift the sides, front panel, and tailgate individually on my 15 CWT body. The floor is a different matter however!

I have attached a few drawings I made in the 90's from an original rusted out floor when I thought I would replace it with a scratch built one. May give you some food for thought.
It is pretty much a large sheet metal brake job, spot welded together. The only difficult fabrication I could see is the stiffeners on the sides, front, and tailgate shown in photo at the top.

I never made drawings for the sides and tailgate as they were in reasonably good shape. Should you want to go the steel body route I could knock out some drawings of them this winter.

Cheers,

Click image for larger version

Name:	15 CWT floor-top.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	90420 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 CWT floor-underside.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	90421 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 CWT floor-crossmembers.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	90422

Name:	IMG_1158.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	90424

Jacques Reed
Old 07-05-17, 10:35
Ian Williams

Default Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Hi Ian,

You may be surprised at the weight of a steel body. I can lift the sides, front panel, and tailgate individually on my 15 CWT body. The floor is a different matter however!

I have attached a few drawings I made in the 90's from an original rusted out floor when I thought I would replace it with a scratch built one. May give you some food for thought.
It is pretty much a large sheet metal brake job, spot welded together. The only difficult fabrication I could see is the stiffeners on the sides, front, and tailgate shown in photo at the top.

I never made drawings for the sides and tailgate as they were in reasonably good shape. Should you want to go the steel body route I could knock out some drawings of them this winter.

Cheers,
Jaques,

I really don't know what to say. This is great. Now I am beginning to think Steel Body, though my skill is in timber. Winter is a fair way away for you so that give me time to decide.

Cheers,

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 07-05-17, 12:11
VMVC

Default 15 CWT steel GS body

Hi Ian,

Found another drawing- location of the 72 cage nuts used to attach the valance panels and the sides to the floor.

A friend with patience and a heavy duty spot welder would come in handy for doing that job!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
15 CWT floor-holes.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 07-05-17, 16:37

From Hanno:

"Contrary to popular belief, only the cross members were made of hardwood, the planking was softwood so you would be good using pine. I'll look up the thread with that info later."

For Canadian (and British?) wood trays, but doesn't apply in Australia. The trays were a local pattern and made of hardwood.

Jacques: or if a big spot welder is not available (as it isn't for many of us I suspect), use the drill-and-weld method. Drill small holes in one side of the pair to be welded, then weld through the hole to the undrilled-other half. With small holes, 'dabbing' the arc and grinding off, it leaves a neat 'spot'.

Regards

Mike
Old 07-05-17, 21:19
MLU Administrator

Default Timber for old MV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
From Hanno:

"Contrary to popular belief, only the cross members were made of hardwood, the planking was softwood so you would be good using pine. I'll look up the thread with that info later."

For Canadian (and British?) wood trays, but doesn't apply in Australia. The trays were a local pattern and made of hardwood.
For Canadian and British wooden bodies, indeed. Attached is a drawing for the Canadian 2H1 15-cwt body as fitted to CMP trucks. The construction of these bodies were based on the British design.

Note the thicknesses of the boards and the types of wood used in the construction of these bodies.

The British even published an Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Regulation (EMER) for wood specifying the various types of timber to use on vehicles - see HMVF forum: Timber for old MV's

Name:	Canadian%2015-cwt%202H1%20body%20construction.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	90427
Old 21-05-17, 16:25
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Attached is a drawing for the Canadian 2H1 15-cwt body as fitted to CMP trucks.
Also see the thread 15-cwt GS body: 2H1 composite wood and steel for some more details.

HTH,
Hanno