MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 23-05-05, 23:06
Vets Dottir

Default Dead Links ?

Hello,

Can someone please visit this site and click on the links of the WW2 names to see if they work? They won't load for me and I want to check if its my end or the sites end problem.

http://veterans.bookoflifeonline.com...=sand&offset=0

Thanks a lot,

Karmen
Old 23-05-05, 23:42

Hi,

They work.

Old 24-05-05, 00:06
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Crewman
Hi,

They work.

Thanks a lot Crewman ... they DON'T work for me on THIS computer There are 4 names I want to view (my dad, aunt, and uncles) so I guess I'll have to see if some settings need changing here, if that will work.

Karmen
Old 24-05-05, 00:22

Yes, the revenge of the robots, quartz and silicon against the human

I hated my Macintosh which did not want to activate tens of the links... Now I do have IBM PC and the problems disappeared.

Best regards

Gregory "Crewman"
Old 24-05-05, 00:27
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Crewman
Yes, the revenge of the robots, quartz and silicon against the human

I hated my Macintosh which did not want to activate tens of the links... Now I do have IBM PC and the problems disappeared.

Best regards

Gregory "Crewman"
Well, this may have something to do with the anti-virus programs settings in here, but I'm not not sure. Maybe my relations don't like me
Old 24-05-05, 00:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Dead Links ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hello,

Can someone please visit this site and click on the links of the WW2 names to see if they work? They won't load for me and I want to check if its my end or the sites end problem.

http://veterans.bookoflifeonline.com...=sand&offset=0

Thanks a lot,

Karmen
Hi Karman...
See if you can get the old lad to fix up the links on the MLU link page..
My website link needs upgrading..

Alex Blair in Ottawa Ontario offers superb reproductions of a whole range of vehicle parts books for Canadian and American military vehicles. Even if you have an original, buy one of these to spill oil and beer on while you're working on its innards! New and good stuff all the time...
This is the text...
This is the new URL...
http://www.dana-nield.com/dnn/Defaul....com/dnn/blair
Thanks..
Now go and watch the Victoria Day fireworks..
Ta....
Old 24-05-05, 00:40
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Links

No probs with this Mac - links all open fine...

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 24-05-05, 01:44
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Links

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
No probs with this Mac - links all open fine...
Hi Keefy

Geoff fiddled with the settings and still no go

If I email someone the names I'm interested in, I wonder, would they be nice-guys and copy/paste/send the information pages of the names I want in an email to me so that I can view the info posted about them?

Karmen
Old 25-05-05, 06:03
Vets Dottir

Default Update...

Well, Master Sunray was able to access those links from his work and printed out what was written, including the photo of one of my Uncles. Very nice to see... but I'm extremely disappointed at how little real information is noted there about thier war service details. It would be good to at least have their regiments that they served with there, and whether they served overseas etc.

I'm going to make some enquiries through the grapevine and see if I can encourage, behind the scenes, more info to be added to these pages.

By the way ... one young man PRIVATE KJARTAN SIGURDSON whose name sits right next to my Uncle Eddie's on page 90 of Howard Margolian's CONDUCT UNBECOMING, was one of the executed Canadian POWS in my Uncles group is listed in this site as well ... as he's Icelandic too, and comes from the same community area as my Dad and other relatives. You folks should just understand that where I hail from is from old small "settler families" communities with much intermingling of families ... you marry who you meet, if you don't leave the communities, you marry within your immediate and neighboring communities ... so I'm probably related to EVERYONE

I'd be interested to hear what is written for his name in the site (still can't access from home )

http://veterans.bookoflifeonline.com...=sor&offset=75

Enough babble ...

Karmen
Old 25-05-05, 13:40

Default Re: Update...

Quote:
Well, Master Sunray was able to access those links from his work and printed out what was written, including the photo of one of my Uncles. Very nice to see... but I'm extremely disappointed at how little real information is noted there about thier war service details. It would be good to at least have their regiments that they served with there, and whether they served overseas etc.

I'm going to make some enquiries through the grapevine and see if I can encourage, behind the scenes, more info to be added to these pages.

By the way ... one young man PRIVATE KJARTAN SIGURDSON whose name sits right next to my Uncle Eddie's on page 90 of Howard Margolian's CONDUCT UNBECOMING, was one of the executed Canadian POWS in my Uncles group is listed in this site as well ... as he's Icelandic too, and comes from the same community area as my Dad and other relatives. You folks should just understand that where I hail from is from old small "settler families" communities with much intermingling of families ... you marry who you meet, if you don't leave the communities, you marry within your immediate and neighboring communities ... so I'm probably related to EVERYONE

I'd be interested to hear what is written for his name in the site (still can't access from home )

http://veterans.bookoflifeonline.com...=sor&offset=75

Enough babble ...

Karmen
Hi Karmen
Glad the big guy has your links straightened out..When he has time if he can fix the MLU link to my web site ,I would appreciate it ..
The MLU link still shows the old geocities URL which has been defunct for at leas two years..
My new URL is ...
Alex Blairs Military Manuals..
Thanks..
Old 25-05-05, 18:57
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Update...

Hi Alex,

I've just sent Geoff a PM with your above request

By the way ... the links are NOT straightened out for me ... Geoff accessed them from his work. We still can't figure out whats blocking opening some things or why the animated smilies in MLU are no longer "ANIMATED" for some time now on his computer Some settings are obviously blocking things, but we can't find what, yet ... argh! These things are only problems on THIS COMPUTER though, not any SITES.

Karmen
Old 25-05-05, 19:35

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Update...

Quote:
Hi Alex,

I've just sent Geoff a PM with your above request

By the way ... the links are NOT straightened out for me ... Geoff accessed them from his work. We still can't figure out whats blocking opening some things or why the animated smilies in MLU are no longer "ANIMATED" for some time now on his computer Some settings are obviously blocking things, but we can't find what, yet ... argh! These things are only problems on THIS COMPUTER though, not any SITES.

Karmen
Thanks Karmen
I e-mailed Geoff about my updates a while ago and heard nothing so don't know if his e-mail address has changed or not ..It didn't bounce back ..but with the move and stuff I figgerd he would get to it eventually..
Don't fix your computer the way my wife did recently..inadvertantly poured coffee in the keyboard...I have a nice new one now..
Works same as the old one..
Must be a software glitch somewhere ..Those links and all the smilie faces work for me..
Thanks Again.
Old 25-05-05, 19:37
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Update...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Hi Karmen
Glad the big guy has your links straightened out..When he has time if he can fix the MLU link to my web site ,I would appreciate it ..
The MLU link still shows the old geocities URL which has been defunct for at leas two years..
My new URL is ...
Alex Blairs Military Manuals..
Thanks..
Stop whinging, you old goat. Changed effective today. You owe me a beer at CC4!