MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 15-06-11, 07:33
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Starting 1942 mb jeep

Hi all

Well it appears I need MLU members advice again. I thouhgt I would not have to seek advice now that my Jeep restoration project is completed. I am now legally driving my Jeep around, I find that the foot starter button is a bit of a hassle, as it is situated nearly into the passenger area.

I was wondering if any of my fellow MLU Jeep owners have also found the foot starter placement a bit of a problem when starting. Is there anyone who has changed their Jeep from a foot starter to another easier method such as maybe a button or switch type starter and what you used to do the same job as the foot starter.

I would be very appreciative of any assistance and advice you could give me and how I should tackle the job.
Old 15-06-11, 08:04
Bluebell

Default Tony

All you need is a solenoid and what ever you want to use, start button, or a key type start switch. The two battery leads go on the solenoid like your current set up, then two wires up to the button etc. Easy. You could mount the button up under the dash, so that its not easy to see.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 15-06-11, 11:09
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
All you need is a solenoid and what ever you want to use, start button, or a key type start switch. The two battery leads go on the solenoid like your current set up, then two wires up to the button etc. Easy. You could mount the button up under the dash, so that its not easy to see.
Lynn

Thanks mate that sound simple enough for even me to follow. Changing the system sure makes starting much easier. I could leave the old foot starter switch in place and as you suggest conceal the new button, that way everyhtingl still looks just like the original concept.

Tony
Old 15-06-11, 12:31
Bluebell

Default Tony

You have to have a solenoid to replace your foot starter. the solenoid does what your foot did, when you feed the power through the start button.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 15-06-11, 16:00
Tony VAN RHODA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
You have to have a solenoid to replace your foot starter. the solenoid does what your foot did, when you feed the power through the start button.
Lynn

Thanks heaps, I will attend the Auto Shop tomorrow and see if I can purchase a solenoid and start button.

Tony
Old 15-06-11, 21:29

Hi Tony,
It was always the passengers job to start the Jeep after we stalled on a steep hill over here in the High Country. That way the driver could keep his feet on the pedals.
Actually forgotten about that Jeep quirk (Brings back some interesting memories) as all the Jeeps over here have been modified to key start. I know it is a pain having the foot start, bit I kinda miss it, part of the joys of older cars I guess, a bit like the Blitz having the accelerator as the middle pedal.
Just remebered my first Series II Landy was button start on the fire wall, after I paid the money for it I could'nt work out how to start it to drive it home. From memory a key start was the first of many, many modifications....
Thanks for stirring up the old grey cells.
Rich
Old 16-06-11, 02:10
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Glad to be of service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
Hi Tony,
It was always the passengers job to start the Jeep after we stalled on a steep hill over here in the High Country. That way the driver could keep his feet on the pedals.
Actually forgotten about that Jeep quirk (Brings back some interesting memories) as all the Jeeps over here have been modified to key start. I know it is a pain having the foot start, bit I kinda miss it, part of the joys of older cars I guess, a bit like the Blitz having the accelerator as the middle pedal.
Just remebered my first Series II Landy was button start on the fire wall, after I paid the money for it I could'nt work out how to start it to drive it home. From memory a key start was the first of many, many modifications....
Thanks for stirring up the old grey cells.
Rich
Rich

Glad to hear I was not the only one who noted the differrence, for a moment there I thought of getting an extention for the right leg. I was getting a bit of a cramp in the foot when starting up, (Old vehicle accident). So I knew there would have to be an easier way and I am glad to know it can be done and still retain the original look.

Tony