MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 03-12-05, 23:17
Sgt Ret'd

Default Request for photos and/or CT #

Hello,

I am currently trying to assist the Loyal Edmonton Regiment (LER)in Edmonton find a picture and/or a confirmed registration number for a Bren Gun Carrier that they are having restored. They are hoping to find a picture to use as a guide for the painting of the marks. Some Info for the pers looking;

LER or 49th Bn was with 1st Cdn Infantry Division

their unit designation was a white 62 on a green background.

as part of the 2nd Cdn Inf Bde.

Can anyone assist us?

Cheers,
Rob McCue
Sgt
SALH
Old 05-12-05, 19:37
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default WWII Vehicle Markings

Rob:

Try Mike Dorosh's excellent website:

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/

Click on 'vehicles' and then select the sub menu heading vehicle markings for a superb explanation of what, where and when the markings were applied.

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 07-12-05, 06:15
Sgt Ret'd

Default CT #

Good site,

But still need a CT # for a Loyal Edmonton Regt Carrier, and if possible a picture of the vehicle.

Cheers,

Rob McCue
Old 29-12-05, 21:46
British Indian Army

Default Re: Request for photos and/or CT #

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob McCue
Hello,

I am currently trying to assist the Loyal Edmonton Regiment (LER)in Edmonton find a picture and/or a confirmed registration number for a Bren Gun Carrier that they are having restored. They are hoping to find a picture to use as a guide for the painting of the marks. Some Info for the pers looking;

LER or 49th Bn was with 1st Cdn Infantry Division

their unit designation was a white 62 on a green background.

as part of the 2nd Cdn Inf Bde.

Can anyone assist us?

Cheers,
Rob McCue
Sgt

If the Loyal Edmonton Regiment is the same as the Edmonton Regiment then I can say that it was issued with carriers with the following CT (War Office) numbers.
CT 29002, 004, 006-008, 011;
CT29112, 117, 129, 130.

It is unlikely that the tracks on your carrier are original, but if they are you may be able to narrow down the CT number as follows.

If your track is marked with any one of these letters, IH/CS-3, then you choose from CT 29002, 004, 006, 112, 117 & 129. These tracks were made by International Harvester prior to 1941.
If the tracks have FM-41-FD on them then you choose from the remaining numbers as these were made by Ford Motors, again prior to November 1941.

Please note that this is only a section of issued vehicles and there will be others which I do not have documentation for, but with luck it is a start. Look forward to seeing and hearing more.

Nigel

SALH

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 30-12-05, 00:10
Sgt Ret'd

Default Thank You Nigel

I appreciate your help Nigel , and yes the 49th Battalion or "Edmonton Regt" is now called the Loyal Edmonton Regt.

I appreciate your assistance in this matter. And the track
number info is great, that will make the desicion much easier.

Cheers,

Rob McCue
Sgt
SALH
Old 30-12-05, 04:45
RIP

Default Re: Re: Request for photos and/or CT #

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel
If the Loyal Edmonton Regiment is the same as the Edmonton Regiment then I can say that it was issued with carriers with the following CT (War Office) numbers.
CT 29002, 004, 006-008, 011;
CT29112, 117, 129, 130.

It is unlikely that the tracks on your carrier are original, but if they are you may be able to narrow down the CT number as follows.

If your track is marked with any one of these letters, IH/CS-3, then you choose from CT 29002, 004, 006, 112, 117 & 129. These tracks were made by International Harvester prior to 1941.
If the tracks have FM-41-FD on them then you choose from the remaining numbers as these were made by Ford Motors, again prior to November 1941.
Nigel,
Please, we try to deal with specifics here. Vague information such as yours is of little use.
PS. Re: Hooded carrier (see thread - I have no idea how to link to it). I have 8 views of this beast. Let me know if you need any for your project. I may have other photos of interest to you.

Clive
Old 30-12-05, 15:43
T-16, C15A

Default Re: Re: Re: Request for photos and/or CT #

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
Let me know if you need any for your project.
Nigel,

Speaking of " that project ", how is it coming?

A great number of stockings remained unstuffed again this Christmas in want of your book. I am not sure how much longer I can be good whilst I wait ...

Stewart
Old 30-12-05, 19:12
British Indian Army

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Request for photos and/or CT #

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
Nigel,

Speaking of " that project ", how is it coming?

A great number of stockings remained unstuffed again this Christmas in want of your book. I am not sure how much longer I can be good whilst I wait ...

Stewart
Sorry guys I have had a sh***y two years. First my big op, next my big warehouse fire, then my best pal died (Military vehicle chap too), then a law suit re the fire, my mum died in October and my wife has had a major op in December. But things are changing, my wifes results are completely clear and my carrier starts fine. My dingo (burnt in fire) is being restored and I have bought a 1940 Ford Fordor Staff Car and a 1942 Matchless G3L. The project is now being well and truly kickstarted so will keep you all informed.

Clive I would be interested in that carrier photo/s with the roof! Its amazing and I laughed at the fact there are no seat backs, presumably so the crew could slide back and get lower! The blood stains on the roof next to the rubber head pads worried me! I also think this was an attempt to run a carrier along the seabed after they tried to float them, in case they were put ashore too soon!!

Have been reading posts regularly if not contributing much!, but in the words of Freddy "I'm back"!!!

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer