MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 21-11-16, 20:37

Default Assistance with CDN unit marking...

Hello all... seeking some assistance on identifying a unit identification marking. I've kinda hit a roadblock...not sure if it's part of the 6th Division or if it's 133 BTTY?? Blue and yellow division patch? Lost at this point! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Brian

Old 22-11-16, 00:58
carrier mech

Looks more like 133 COY to me. There was a 133 COY in UK Service.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C2355262
Old 22-11-16, 02:31
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian H View Post
Hello all... seeking some assistance on identifying a unit identification marking. I've kinda hit a roadblock...not sure if it's part of the 6th Division or if it's 133 BTTY?? Blue and yellow division patch? Lost at this point! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Brian

Brian,

What you have is not a formation insignia for the 6th Division during the Second World War but what I believe is probably a post-war unit insignia for 133 Transport Company (Militia), Royal Canadian Army Service Corps. The diagonal blue over gold rectangle is the tactical sign for the RCASC. The white strip at the top designates a non-divisional unit. After the war units stencilled their designation on it. I believe that the stencilling was AHQ ordered.

All numbered Militia RCASC transport companies were re-designated as Service Battalion transport companies circa 1970, so the timeline for what you have is probably sometime between 1946 and 1970.

The white 6 is interesting however. Let me look at my files and I'll see what else I can dig up.

Feel free to ask any further questions on this, if you have any.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 22-11-16, 15:54

Thanks Dan. Would it have been normal practise to paint those unit designations on a leather jerkin?

Rob, now looking at it...I now agree it looks like 133 COY.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 22-11-16, 16:22
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian H View Post
Thanks Dan. Would it have been normal practise to paint those unit designations on a leather jerkin?
Beats me. You can never tell what tribal customs any individual unit might of had. Possibly used to identify an specific traffic control person at a crossroads used by multiple units? (Figuring this out is going to be a part of your journey of discovery.)

I have learned that 133 Transport Company (M) was the Hamilton RCASC unit. Still looking in to what the white serial '6' was for.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 22-11-16, 18:55
Centurion nut

Brian,

I've looked at what I have on the subject and still can't find a reason for the white serial '6' on the unit sign. Serial numbers on a unit sign were allotted only for field units of the Regular Army. Militia units were not allocated serial numbers but were to have a 2 inch white stripe along the top of the rectangle with the abbreviated unit title in 1-1/2 inch black letters. I can only think that the serial '6' is locally applied and unofficial.

The rectangles for the vehicle unit sign were to be 9-1/2 inches wide by 8-1/2 inches high if applicable. If not then 7 inches wide by 5 inches high. I don't have a size for what the serial number should be.

I've also learned that 133 Transport Company paraded out of Burlington Street Armoury in Hamilton. I can't say if this armoury still exists.

I hope all of this helps.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 25-11-16, 21:15

Thanks Dan for you all your assistance. Everything seems to fit into place (except the white 6) for the 133 Company RCASC. I picked this up from a collector in the Hamilton area so the pieces all fit.

I can say, 133 Coy RCASC is now the 31 Service Battalion (and previously 23 SB), and now parade out of CFRB Hamilton...same location as HMCS Star.
Old 06-12-16, 09:55
M38A1 CDN3

In Toronto there was 5 Column RCASC based out of the long gone University Armouries.

The connotation to 5th column caused a few ill feelings amongst the local militia units.