MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 09-01-17, 14:53
Mr. HUP

Default 2017 at the Hammond Barn

Now that I've dusted off my brain, it's time to catch up on MLU! Welcome to 2017! I attribute this late posting to the New Year's Challenge - our first posting in the New Year. I am sure that the news about Phil Waterman's ailments also distracted us. We all hope you are recovering with all speed, Phil.

As mentioned in another thread, Bob and I had a New Year's Day ride in the large field. Dashing through the snow with our "classic" military trucks was fun and invigorating. We definitely want to take more excursions with our trucks in all weather conditions.

The aim this year is to have at least three CMPs on the road for a series of convoys in and around Hammond and in the region. We will keep you posted on our progress - which for some reason draws interest on this forum...

So, on behalf of Bob Carriere (our fearless leader), Grant Bowker (our walking encyclopedia) and yours truly, Rob Clarke (the boy wonder), Happy New Year and safe driving to all of our followers.
Old 10-01-17, 04:48

Default We braved the cold.....

'Twas -26C early this AM........ was -22C at 10:30 when I lite Lucifer.....

........ twas so cold..... I had to warm up the wooden matches in my hands before I could light them..... then the smoke was so cold it was packing up in the chimney.

Nonetheless, Grant and I set out to finish the modification to an Industrial sewing machine. The machine is a "walking foot" Singer 211G156. It came with a 3500 rpm motor that requires much skill and practice to sew s-l-o-w-l-y that the first time I tries a short piece of canvass it took off the sewing table and embedded itself in the plywood wall covering of the barn.

First move was to change the motor for a 1750 rpm which reduced its velocity to half but still exceeded my abilities..... so we designed a jack shaft which now looks like the pictures attached. First I scored a 1.5 inch pulley for the motor in 15mm shaft size......... belted to a 5 inch pulley twinned to a 2 inch pulley that drives the 3 inch pulley on the sewing head....

We basically researched EBay for ready made speed reducer at $160 US dollars and with several model in mind adapted to what material and pillow blocks we had..... final results is around 350 rpm flat out with lots of torque while slipping the clutch at lower speed. It will be slow and I can speed it up by using larger pulleys on the motor if I ever become proficient at the sewing skills.

I am not new to sewing as I grew up with a grandmother who insisted that I learn how to sew n an old threadle Singer machine. In fact I help my wife sew a pair of PIAZZO pants on Sunday for when she goes to Mexico.

The first pictures are not set up ONLY for viewing in Australia.... we simply inverted the whole table on the workbench for ease of access.

I have not done any actual sewing on it yet as we ran out of time but it worked fine and is as designed.....slow and very manageable.

Next I need to make patterns from worn out CMP seats covers and try our hands at using a heavy weight unbleached white canvass...... then debug and move on to real OD fabric. I do have a set of NOS covers from Dirk but would prefer to keep them as such and use repros for everyday use. I also have to remove the dried up Monsanto clear windows from my NOS side windows and replace the plastic with modern clear vinyl.

Well by the time the afternoon rolled over it was a balmy 55F in the barn.... sad to let the fire die out but happy to go in the house where it is nice and warm.

Cheers

PS... once we finish making frilly skirts, I need to work on the roof.... removing the dings, holes and reskinning the bottom half of the top rear panel and then reproduce the 2B1 box.......
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04251cropresized.jpg   DSC04254cropresized.jpg   DSC04261crop resized.jpg   DSC04256cropresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 07-02-17, 04:59

Default More serious CMP work......

Well we dug up the top of my cab 11 and as much as it is the best I have to work with it has a lot of twist, bumps and holes from former roof lights. Will be designing a jig to hold it steady while we replace the bottom 10 inches back section of the cab vertical section. Will need to refine my butt weld techniques to produce a seamless connection/joint. Will record our experience and post accordingly.

Grant and I were distracted today trying to reproduce the grill guards for his 19 set. I know the odd grill comes up for sale every once in a while and now appreciate better why the asking price is high.

Cheers
Canada
Old 07-02-17, 19:59
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Barn 2017

Really enjoying your posts as I'm sure a lot of others are as well. The coldness of your Canadian winters is almost impossible to imagine to most of my countrymen here in Australia - I see minus 26 a couple of weeks ago... we're going for a top of plus 35C here today!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the Cab 11 roof.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 07-02-17, 20:44

Default Some days it's really cold........

Had to split the Massey in two lasy week to replace the PTO clutch.......

......was so cold one morning..... when I entered the barn I could hear metalic noise coming from the tool chest..... at first I though it might be squirrels.... but to my surprise when opened a drawer...... the pliers were all huddled in a corner and their jaws chattering loudly........
\
Some days it gets so cold...so cold that we have frost on MicroSoft's Windows.

Once Lucifer gets fired up we can get it up to a balmy 60 degrees F and even see the odd pet mosquitoe that flys around.......

Stay tuned for some before pictures......

Cheers
Canada
Old 07-02-17, 21:35
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Really enjoying your posts as I'm sure a lot of others are as well. The coldness of your Canadian winters is almost impossible to imagine to most of my countrymen here in Australia - I see minus 26 a couple of weeks ago... we're going for a top of plus 35C here today!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the Cab 11 roof.
The impressive thing is how productive we can be in spite of the wretched weather. I'm reading a story by a modern day explorer who canoed down a never-before recorded river in Northern Ontario. It was too isolated and black fly infested for normal people to attempt, and because it lies across the Ontario/Quebec border, I presume every surveyor expected it had been done by someone else.

We cannot imagine living in such abject dryness or in a place where everything either wants to sting you or start a fistfight. (The Youtube video of the fellow right jab punching the buck kangaroo got everyone's attention here!)

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 07-02-17, 23:17
carrier mech

Personally I have just about had it with winters, and in particular this one.

With the limitations being put on immigration into the US right now, it seems Manitoba is experiencing a bit of a migration from the US. The news reported that Manitoba had 22 refugees sneak across the border on the weekend alone and had this quote from one refugee:

Quote:
"Farhan Ahmed says he couldn't feel his fingers or his toes as he walked about 12 kilometres along a road."
Get used to that Farhan...that is life in Manitoba. Heck, it was only -20°C out....what is he going to do when it gets cold out.

Last edited by rob love; 08-02-17 at 03:21.
Old 08-04-17, 00:07

Default Things have been quiet around the barn........

.........but Spring is around the corner, most of the snow has turned to mud and will get worst once the ground thaws out and the mud turns to chocolate cake icing.

Positive signs are........ first...

Phil Waterman, lives about 400miles from here, was contacted by someone wishing to save some CMPs from the scrappy....... happens to be just an hours drive from the Barn........ nice how the system works. One Chev, One Ford and one M43 radio truck....... all put away soaking wet many years ago but still they are a source for parts. Plans are to visit soon with a camera and make an offer so we can truck them home.

Second sign of Spring .....

Was referred by Jim Fraser...... a new CMP hobbyist, recently bitten, has brought home what seems to be an early Chev cab 11...... with circular air vents but no marker lights on the front fenders and sporting a woven Ford grill just like mine. Truck was found on a farm North of Toronto....... parked for over 40 years but very complete.....as usual the cargo box was replaced with some other late 30 box but has a 261 engine installed. I will be posting some of his needs pending his membership being approved by MLU moderators.

Third sign of Springs......

...... I am looking forward to returning to the barn for active duty.

I had an unexpected urgent quadruple by-pass on February 16th and so far I am still vertical. Happened so fast had no time to think or get scared.

Getting your breast bone cut open with tin snips, plumbing repaired then sown together with stainless steel wire is an experience. I vaguely remember lying under a Xmas tree holding over 12 tubes all connected to me........ best one is I could pee anytime and not have to get up. Still quite sore but according to the surgeon mending quite well. For a week I hugged a pillow affectionately called "your teddy" ........ no jokes....laughing is a pain..... coughing really gets to you, sneezing unexpectedly like child birth and vomiting.... well would rather not remember. Been over 6 weeks which is about half way but true recovery probably by next Fall in time for felling trees for firewood.

But all this is in the past. The post surgery medication was possibly worst than the operation with all the side effects and that to is gradually improving.

Plans for this year are to finish or refinish and install the roof on my truck..... needs some skin surgery and possibly start repro/reverse engineering a 2B1 cargo box.

Cheers
Canada
Old 08-04-17, 00:35

Default Speedy recovery

Bob,

I was wondering about the low profile from the Hammond garage gang. The joys of our 'golden age'. Glad to hear that you are vertical once again. Hope to see you at some of the events.

Speedy recovery, Peter
Old 08-04-17, 00:59
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Get well

Hi Bob

Glad to hear you are making a full recovery and I am sure you will be back to normal very soon.I wondered why things were a bit quiet form the barn as I always look forward to your updates. You will have a nice big scar to show off. My best wishes to you Bob and I know you will be straining at the bit to get back to work.

Cheers

Tony.
Old 08-04-17, 00:59
carrier mech

Geeezuz Bob, take care of yourself. Were you to exit this earth, I would have to suffer the rest of my days knowing I still owe you for your help last fall.

Glad to hear you are on the mend.
Old 19-04-17, 23:14

Bob,

I hope you are feeling better in the meantime....and you soon have the energy again to work on the hobby again.

Please take care!

Alex
Old 20-04-17, 02:13

Default Thanks for all the "Good Wishes".....

......recovering slowly. I have started working on my roof rebuild slowly under the careful supervision of Grant and Rob.

Usually hit the wall after 4 or 5 hours but I am getting better and with the nice weather, if the rain ever stops, will continue to improve.

It's hard to get the OD green out of your blood!!!!!!!

Cheers
Canada
Old 14-06-17, 17:00

Default More border crossings and CMPs saved from a slow boat to China

We have recovered two more CMPs parts trucks in the last few weeks.

One a 1942 C60s ..... the other a 24 march1942 F15a.......both ran hard and parked wet years ago BUT still offers some good parts.

Will first deal with the cab 13 F15a.......with a dash mounted tag fo F15a -ATT-2 which we have translated to Anti-Tank Tractor .....possibly used a 6 pounder.

In the process of salvaging parts we have made the following discovery on the cargo box construction......... the box is similar to a 2C1 box but it has been build/assembled very differently.

Remember this is early.....March 24th 1942 and the rysted floor plates show evidence of having been made from "dot and dash" floor plate......and so are the cab floor. Having the 1942 cab floor in a cab 13 is unusual for us...... may indicate a very early cab 13 Ford liquidating what was left of old stock.

The cargo box also has some strange peculiarity in its construction.
The top boxed edge of the side panels and headboard are made of two bent/folded parts than welded together. see attached diagram and photograph.

More to follow has I work out the bugs in my new ACDsee software...........
Attached Thumbnails
F15acargo box002textxroprezd.jpg  
Canada
Old 15-06-17, 03:36

Default Let's see how the software works tonite.

I have some pictures of the unique features of this cargo box. Assuming that the cargo box is original to the manufacture of the truck..... March 24th 1942..... it could be an early version..... yet to be refined or simplify for efficient production.

Now for the pics..

Does any one knows what is the proper designation for this odd cargo box...... is an early model of the 2C1 or the later all welded "J" box????
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04302textarrowrez1aaxxx.jpg   DSC04304reztextxxx.jpg   DSC04305reztextarrowsxxx.jpg   DSC04313reztextaxxxx.jpg   DSC04285croptextxxx.jpg  

Canada
Old 15-06-17, 04:57

Great find on the early F15a.

I thought I had seen this style of box before an indeed I did. The following pictures are enlargements from The Factory Photos CD. The box is on a C15a
Attached Thumbnails
8444 Winterized van lorry 815-10942 closeup.jpg   8444 Winterized van lorry 817-10942 closeup.jpg   8444 Winterized van lorry 818-10942 closeup.jpg   8444 Winterized van lorry 928-271042 closeup.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 15-06-17, 05:01

As for your cross section of the top channel. When I had mine made up at the shop they were trying to figure out how the original was done too. The first and second bend would be easy. The 3rd bend is the hard one since the first two bend would now want to close down onto the die. What the shop figures was done is the third bend was made until the first two closed down on the die, then the panel was placed into a form in a another press brake and then pressed down. One my sample you could make out the third bend wasn't as tight of a radius as the first two.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 26-07-17, 00:02

Default Wooden you know.......

I have been tackling the wood portion of my roof in the last few days ....... and I have gained a great respect for our Aussie friends who are restoring trucks that has a lot more wood than mine.

Might be easier on a new vehicle but when trying to fit the wood to the steel that has been deformed, twisted, bent, cracked, stretched and heated to fill in numerous bolt holes it is frustrating.

The small "L" reinforcement in the 90 degree corner of the cab had cracked along with 3 inches of the roof...... of course it was spot welded with far two many spots...... which I removed by grinding from the inside with a stone and made replacements out of 16 gauge steel.... and welded back in place....using a grinder in that corner is very difficult....... at least part of my welding will be behind the wooden brace.

Now building a"jig" that will allow me to cut the bottom 8 or 10 inches off the back of the cab YET retain the same dimensions and not twist or sag. Will do one half at a time...... based on a newly made angle iron bottom. Not looking forward to the long "butt" weld which must be perfect as it is visible from both the inside and outside of the cab...... lots of stitch welds, hammering and grinding and more stitch welding, ect. ect......... not sure yet if I will spot weld the sheet metal to the angle iron or use the new auto body glue..... I have used it before and it did a good job...... no heat to cause warping and it seals the space between the cab rear wall and the angle iron .......an area prone to rusting.

Hints, comments or suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Canada
Old 13-08-17, 02:51

Default Sea containers for storage of CMP

Everyone knows that storing your CMP in a relatively air tight, fire proof and secure space is the ultimate. Well a "sea can" can accomplish all of these BUT it has the disadvantage of being very narrow. Been using a sea can for quite a few years since the cab 11 chassis was mobile under its own power. Crawling over the rear section of the frame was fine for a while but since I have installed the cab and rear cargo box it has become a Yoga exercise everytime I want to take the truck out.

So we designed a door that would open..... inline.... with the driver's door of the cab 11. Measured at least 3 times than cut. The task was complicated by the sea can location 100 meters from the barn and nearest power source. so we used the backup house generator which powered the plasma cutter quite efficiently. The vertical cuts, from the inside, using a guide bar, were by far the easiest. The remaining cuts were done with a hand held 4.5 in. rectifier grinder. It would have been nice to capture the moment the cut out section fell down..... but all hands were on deck and the section quite heavy.

The section of the sea can we removed will be recycled as the door skin. The door frame is a 2 in. square tubing and the door perimeter will also be a 2 in. tubing. The frame is now installed and the door done but will be part of my next posting with photos.

It is amazing how much light gets in the container when that section is removed.

Finally tested the opening by driving the cab 11 back in place. Plenty of room to enter and exit and access to the battery box for the Winter months.

Eventually a small 2 step wooden landing will be built for the benefit of my sore and old back.

Details of progress will follow.

Bob C

The once orange Sea can recently paint with a home blend of multiple leftover oil based paint and resulted in 3 gallons of dark near OD green!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06629002res.jpg   DSC06617001res.jpg   DSC06634oo3resized.jpg   DSC06642004res.jpg   DSC06649006res.jpg  

Canada
Old 13-08-17, 03:22
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
I have some pictures of the unique features of this cargo box. Assuming that the cargo box is original to the manufacture of the truck..... March 24th 1942..... it could be an early version..... yet to be refined or simplify for efficient production.

Now for the pics..
Regarding your question about the final fold going in on itself. Quite a puzzler. The only thing I can come up with is a solid bar inserted front to back and someone hammering the last bend into place.
Attached Images

Old 13-08-17, 03:45

Default War time production

Hi Bruce.

I believe that the time pressure on war time production would have eliminated most hand hammering. I believe that a flat die hydraulic press must have finished the last bend and quickly welded the boxed section shut...... that would partly explain the uneven bend radius reported by Jordan.

From what I have read on war time production, a lot of sub-assemblies were done in small shops pressed into war time production....... good being moved in large wooden bins or open top 45 gallon drums. Parts produced in large quantities by shops making only one or only a few sub components. Hooks for the tarps, hinge straps, pre bent partly welded fender well boxes, sub-assemblies of tail gates such as hooks, hinges, etc..... all to be joined (welded) together in a central plant. Spot welds were rarely dressed up like we would do today and unevenly spaced.

Very few small shops would have the means of doing the larger components like the head board of a cargo box or the long narrow drop sides of the cab 11/12 2B1 box.

Over time the design and assembly was modified to its most simple mode of manufacturing keeping in mind what could be done cheaply and as fast as possible.
Canada
Old 13-08-17, 04:02
GM Fox I

All true, but what amazes me (as someone who has spent a great deal of time re-making all this old stuff) is why me in my workshop with simple tools regularly finds simpler ways to make this stuff. Sometime re-producing the way they did it adds a whole new level of complication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi Bruce.

I believe that the time pressure on war time production would have eliminated most hand hammering. I believe that a flat die hydraulic press must have finished the last bend and quickly welded the boxed section shut...... that would partly explain the uneven bend radius reported by Jordan.

From what I have read on war time production, a lot of sub-assemblies were done in small shops pressed into war time production....... good being moved in large wooden bins or open top 45 gallon drums. Parts produced in large quantities by shops making only one or only a few sub components. Hooks for the tarps, hinge straps, pre bent partly welded fender well boxes, sub-assemblies of tail gates such as hooks, hinges, etc..... all to be joined (welded) together in a central plant. Spot welds were rarely dressed up like we would do today and unevenly spaced.

Very few small shops would have the means of doing the larger components like the head board of a cargo box or the long narrow drop sides of the cab 11/12 2B1 box.

Over time the design and assembly was modified to its most simple mode of manufacturing keeping in mind what could be done cheaply and as fast as possible.
Old 13-08-17, 04:29
carrier mech

Nice job on the door cut-out Bob. I had to cut several windows and doors in sea cans in Bosnia using oxy acetylene torches, and the warping was incredible.
Old 13-08-17, 19:06

Default Wartime production.....

Bruce
........" why me in my workshop with simple tools regularly finds simpler ways to make this stuff." 'cause your good!!!!!!

Rob ......... the plasma reduced the heat signature but nonetheless when the top and bottom cuts were done by hand there was the Odd Boing as some tension released...... and the cut out piece had a definite twist in it.

Not sure what kind of steel alloy they used when fabricating them but it is not easy stuff to weld with a Mig......almost like zinc coated angle iron used in hydro towers.

Cheers
Canada
Old 13-08-17, 20:34
carrier mech

They do seem to be an odd mix of metal. Whether that is the result of being made in Chine using recycled Hondas, or intentionally made that way to better resist saltwater is the question.
Old 13-08-17, 23:49

Default sea can metal

I had the job to put a window in a sea can, for a neighbour, that is being used as a mechanical room at a grain elevator. There is a special alloy used in the construction that is corrosion resistant. I can't recall what it is called but there was a post on the unit saying to repair with the named metal. I used a angle grinder and disc to cut the opening and bolted a metal frame onto the side wall.
Old 13-08-17, 23:50

Default The door......

Door is finished..... now toooooo heavy for a one man install.... in fact I think we will use the bucket on the tractor to raise it in place and slip in the hinge pins.

Heavy door so we installed 5 HD hinge...... had a bucket full of them.

Frame is tacked in place and will need a continuous bead of weld to make sure it does not leak.

Art work below.....
Attached Thumbnails
001DSC06663.jpg   002resizedDSC06665.jpg   003restextDSC06670.jpg   004DSC06671.jpg  
Canada
Old 14-08-17, 01:16

Looks good. As for doing a full bead weld I'd skip that. Just use that spray sealer for sealing screened for bottomed boats. Surly it should work for sealing some seams that aren't in a sea salt sea environment. Now tell me how many "s" I've used in this post.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-08-17, 04:34

Default Door..... no s***

Hi Gord

Yes I have seen a similar sticker inside the containers specifying that a certain kind of steel needed to be used for repairs.

Jordan

With the many freeze/thaw cycles in Ottawa I want to make sure no water infiltrates around the frame. Maybe just one welded on one side then caulked will suffice.

Now I just need to salvage the special hinge brackets from the cab 12 that will allow adjustable/folding mirror arms so I can drive in the sea can without having to unbolt the cast rigid mirror arms.

A final coat of paint then voila!!!!!

......and maybe my pictures will come through this time
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
001DSC06663.jpg   002resizedDSC06665.jpg   003restextDSC06670.jpg   004DSC06671.jpg  
Canada
Old 15-08-17, 01:35

Default Finished welding the door frame......

With the house generator hooked up to the MIller 210 It was a more pleasant than using the 110V baby mig I used for the tacking.

Even with the shielding gas turned up for outside welding the steel alloy of the container is a bitch to work with. As I did the outside seam a lot of smoke was generated..... turns out there was water already trapped between the flanges.... and what I though was paint burning off was steam..... and the water made the spattering worst. I blew most of it with the air line and there was enough to form a small puddle on the floor inside.

So decided to do a continuous weld seam on the outside......(sorry Jordan) and will caulk the seam for good measure. The inside got a few more robust tacks for my peace of mind. Noticed that the cold steel of the square tubing is already flash rusting......while the container steel that was ground of any paint for welding still looks shiny!!!!!

Hopefully the door will go on later this week.

Cheers
Canada