MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 15-11-11, 01:37
Dave Good

I made it out of some 1 1/4" strapping material I had.
Old 01-04-15, 17:28
Dave Good

Well its been a long time since I have updated this thread as Life took a detour on working on the carrier this last few years but not forgotten. I only managed to work on it briefly last year but I am back on track and have found the time to go full steam ahead on it .

So I guess where I left off I had done a lot of fab and painting of the parts of a good portion of the carrier and last year I worked on the exhaust system. I went with a Walker muffler 17864 from NAPA as it was the best I could find that was close to the original one and had a length of 17" in the body. I made the system I believe like the original setup.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3595.jpg   IMG_3597.jpg   IMG_3600.jpg   IMG_3601.jpg  
Old 01-04-15, 17:34
Dave Good

Now to play the mad minute in catching up on what I have been accomplishing the last few months

Now that the exhaust system is done and in I can install the differential YAY.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3609.jpg   IMG_3610.jpg  
Old 01-04-15, 17:45
Dave Good

Now the diff was in I went through the brake system and cleaned an lubed the actuators, The brake shoes had a lot of life left in them so just a cleaning and painting was required

Cleaned, Repacked the wheel bearings and installed new seals and on went the brake drums. Moving forwards.

I had been looking for a while for the dust seal the went on the brake actuator rod and found that a dodge master cylinder boot from the M37/WC worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4199.jpg   IMG_4202.jpg   IMG_4204.jpg   IMG_4270.jpg  
Old 01-04-15, 17:56
Dave Good

Now that was done onto the suspension, Wah Hoo. First was to install the cross shaft, brackets and rollers. As a side note since I had not stripped the carrier down I installed the shaft first and then went to install the rollers to find out I had to pull the shaft out to get the rollers into place as they would not slip in with the flat part of shaft in place . After that was done was to install the bellows dust seals, Lucky I had them from the guy I had purchased the carrier from and a previous thread on how they were installed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4205.jpg   IMG_4209.jpg   IMG_4211.jpg   IMG_4212.jpg  
Old 01-04-15, 18:06
Dave Good

Now that was accomplished it was time to get on the assembly of the suspension. I opted to bolt the main parts on and then install the springs after as it would be to heavy to install a complete component. I stripped the system a few years ago with a home built spring compressor at the time but really did not like it and considered making one from the Australian designed one but I made up one using a M113 track jack and it has worked flawless
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4218.jpg   IMG_4220.jpg   IMG_4217.jpg  
Old 01-04-15, 18:14
Dave Good

Now that that has been done it was time to install all of the road wheels. As in one of the past posts I went for the larger wheel bearings and had spacers and sleeves made to install them into the wheels and the measurements that I got were spot on and the wheels slid into place perfectly

I will leave for a brief while and go work on it and will post some more info tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4227.jpg   IMG_4224.jpg   IMG_4225.jpg  
Old 02-04-15, 21:14

Default Looking Good

Hi, Nice Progress, well done.
1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 03-04-15, 04:45
Dave Good

Thanks, Its been a long road and looking forward to the end result
Old 03-04-15, 05:24
Dave Good

After I got the suspension on and all buttoned up, I was just looking at the road wheels from front to back from the rear and noticed that the front adjuster wheels looked toed out after looking at it closer and taking a strait edge to it from the hull to the outer edge of the wheel i discovered that the front axles were bent . I had a couple of extras that came with the carrier and I dug them up and swapped them out with the ones I had on. The right side replacement was perfect but the left side was the same as the one I had on it. As the left side was not as bad as the right I just went ahead and made a small shim at the rear bottom of the adjustment and it came out pretty good

The next part I started to work on was the conduit as I thought I would get that out of my way. As the conduit that came with the carrier was very rusty (like through) I was lucky to do a trade with Dave in Saskatchewan with a lot better stuff. The removal of the older smaller wire was pretty easy, but the starter cable that went to the starter was rusted/stuck to the inside of the conduit . I first tried to remove the cable buy clamping the conduit in the vice a hooking a come along to the cable and pulling it out with a lot of effort which it did come but it left all of the rubber shielding still attached to the conduit, Long story short I had to cut the conduit in half so I could access it to remove the shielding. Now that was done it just needed a clean up YAY. I was missing all of the rear conduit from the transmission back so luckily a friend of Doug's has a MK1 and had that piece of conduit that we could borrow to make one for ourselves. I was lucky I had a friend with a Hausfeld tubing bender that made quick work of that and just have to thread the ends. Had to make up a few of the sleeves to join the conduit as well as the jam nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4229.jpg   IMG_4235.jpg   IMG_4245.jpg   IMG_4238.jpg  
Old 03-04-15, 05:44
Dave Good

After that came Fabrication, fabrication and more fabrication of brackets and all of the fasteners to put this thing together. When I purchased this project I did not get the lid to this giant puzzle that states ( Fabrication a Welding skills are a must when assembling). I am over 743 bolts I had to get together so far of various lengths as well as the different head styles as to get it back to look as original as possible as most of the bolts I had were in very poor to non existent from the years it was under the ground. I used a lot of the stove bolts as they are similar to the dome head bolts of the carrier but when it came to the counter sunk screws ARRR. as the BSF style is about half the head diameter and depth I had to machine all of the down to size and re cut the slot in them which took a lot of time. Also I machined all of the markings on the ends of the bolts so they looked more like the bolts of the time
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4247.jpg   IMG_4273.jpg   IMG_4279.jpg  
Old 03-04-15, 05:50
Dave Good

A few more parts.

Well that's enough for tonight and tomorrow off to the Calgary gun show where I can look at a lot of cool stuff and see what Rob Love has been up to
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4286.jpg   IMG_3708.jpg   IMG_4326.jpg  
Old 03-04-15, 10:29

Hi Dave,

It looks beautiful already and it is not even finished. Hope we can see the completed project in the near future. Keep up the good work and the photos coming!

Cheers,

Daimler Dingo Mk1B 1941
Daimler Armoured Car Mk1 1943
Daimler Ferret Mk1/1 1959
Ford Universal Carrier No2 MkII* 1944
Ford GPW British Airborne 1944
Lightweight 10 Cwt Trailer SS Cars Ltd 1944
Anti-Tank Gun 6 Pdr 7 Cwt MkII 1942
Daf Trailer YAA602 1954
Daf Trailer AT16-24-1NL 1977
Daf 2100Turbo 1982
Old 06-04-15, 07:06
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc van Aalderen View Post
Hi Dave,

It looks beautiful already and it is not even finished. Hope we can see the completed project in the near future. Keep up the good work and the photos coming!

Cheers,
Thanks, I hope it will be done soon myself as it has been a long haul but see light at the end of the tunnel
Old 06-04-15, 07:18
Dave Good

Well the Calgary gun show was great and had a lot of goodies, Purchased a few items and even filled robs pockets with a little cash and had a great chat as well as with his side kick Derk.

After the fabrication of those bits I spent some time to straitening out the drivers and gunners bins as they were slightly pretzel shaped from being in the ground, Overall I was very happy with the end result
Attached Thumbnails
184-8475_IMG.jpg   184-8473_IMG.jpg   IMG_4276.jpg   IMG_4275.jpg  
Old 06-04-15, 07:34
Dave Good

Now that was done I got all of the vision slot shutters and hardware ready as I had some repo and original pieces that I am using for my carrier. One of the items I cam up with is the specialty screw heads that go through both of the plates and the glass frames. A while back I was at a friends where he was restoring a M3 scout car and it used a lot of countersunk slight dome head bolts and when I looked at them they looked like the ones used on the carrier as I had a couple original ones for comparison. As I was using the specialty nuts on the back side that were of the BSF thread and the scout car bolts were too short anyhow I just cut them down and got some BSF bolts and welded them onto the ends and did a slight bit of back cut on the counter sunk side and presto it worked great and you cant tell the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4304.jpg   IMG_4296.jpg   IMG_4297.jpg   IMG_4298.jpg   IMG_4303.jpg  

Old 06-04-15, 07:40
Dave Good

Now that was done in was time to get ready for another painting session so I decorated the tree once more. There were a lot of little bits and pieces to hang
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4329.jpg   IMG_4330.jpg   IMG_4331.jpg  
Old 06-04-15, 07:50
Dave Good

Once hung a I prepped a bunch of the bins and brackets as well for a full session of painting I had to do some minor repairs to some of them like replacing the small ball studs that the straps attach to as well as some replacement steel as some of the pieces were rusted out. I found that Holly has these ball studs that are used with there carburetors.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4334.jpg   IMG_4336.jpg   IMG_4339.jpg  
Old 06-04-15, 09:44

Decorating the tree in preparations for paint....... The story of a carrier restoration, it brings back memories of mine.

Fantastic looking job, it'll look great once you're done. It has all the nice little trinkets.
Old 06-04-15, 12:28
AKA Rick Wedlock

excellent work and you make it sound so easy
1942 Mk1* Carrier
1943 T16 Carrier
1945 Mk3 Dingo
1941 Mk3 Covenanter
1941 Mk4 Churchill AVRE (now sold)
1944 Mk6 Cromwell (now sold)
1952 Mk3 Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1953 Mk3 Centurion (breaking)
Old 07-04-15, 03:43

Default Progress

Dave,

Great to see you back working on your carrier. The workmanship is extraordinary. Looking forward to the day you fire her up.

Peter
Old 07-04-15, 04:06

Dave,

Great meeting you today and thanks again for those parts. Just a tremendous restoration job; this thread is an excellent log of your work and I'm glad I had the chance to see it with my own eyes. I'm very much in awe of your talents!

Following this with much interest!

Jason
Old 07-04-15, 07:38
Dave Good

Thanks for the comments everyone it has been a lot of work but I can see light at the end of the tunnel now

For the next paint session it was a great day and +15 so I started early thinking I had plenty of time but wrong, It was about 8:30 that night when I got finished but had great results
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4348.jpg   IMG_4347.jpg   IMG_4352.jpg  
Old 07-04-15, 07:46
Dave Good

The next day I assembled the seat hardware together as well as the rear antenna mount so its ready to install when that time comes. The rear mount is a thing of beauty and I just polished up the brass and cleared it for the moment as I know it was painted but i like the looks for now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4354.jpg   IMG_4359.jpg   IMG_4361.jpg  
Old 11-04-15, 06:12
Dave Good

So the next step I took was to install the vision shutters so I laid all of the hardware out and got it ready to install.

As I first tested it with the original spacers between the shutters I could barely move them up and down as it was very tight and would scratch that nice paint . So I made new spacers about .015 thicker and this gave them more clearance for better movement. I also installed some decal material a on the back side of each shutter so it would slide better and not do too much damage to the paint and its worked great so far
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4357.jpg   IMG_4358.jpg   IMG_4368.jpg   IMG_4369.jpg   IMG_4372.jpg  

Old 11-04-15, 06:25
Dave Good

Now that was done I finished up the drivers/Gunners compartments by bolting that last few shields and the seat frames so that means the front is essentially done.

All I have left is the need for a tool box on the Gunners floor as I picked up one a few years back not realizing that the MK1 and MK2 are different Anyone have a really good MK1 tool Box that they would trade strait across for a MK2 in perfect shape ???? If I don't find one I will modify this one to fit.

Also one a note does anyone have the measurements/Drawings for the fire extinguisher mounting brackets that go behind the driver and the gunners compartment as I have to make a couple for mine ?????
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4385.jpg   IMG_4386.jpg   IMG_4387.jpg   IMG_4288.jpg  
Old 11-04-15, 10:04

You've got some serious work happening there Dave. It looks like you have most if not all parts to complete your carrier. Have you got the complete drive train, There are so many similarities to the Aust ones in fact I would almost say that some parts are interchangeable. At your rate it should be quite a fast restoration. Excellent work.
Colin.
Old 13-04-15, 03:05
Dave Good

Yes I have the whole drive train and I am getting it ready for a test stand I made up as I want to run up the engine a while before installing it into the carrier. As for a fast restoration I have been off and on it for a few years now but as of late I have been cracking the whip and trying to get it done asap.
Old 15-04-15, 05:52
Dave Good

Well not a lot to report as I am just about caught up again until I get the engine running but I managed to get the battery box mounted on the back as well as some of the pieces above the diff and the convoy reflector plate.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4390.jpg   IMG_4391.jpg   IMG_4392.jpg  
Old 15-04-15, 05:59
Dave Good

I also got most of the conduit and related pieces ready to install and once most of it is in I can then Finnish making the rear pieces that go to the rear light.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4393.jpg   IMG_4394.jpg   IMG_4396.jpg   IMG_4397.jpg