MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 13-07-11, 01:53

Default Welder 1943 FORD / Lincoln

I purchased and picked up the welder Rob L. spotted (thanks Rob). If it wasn't purchased the seller was going to scrap the unit. You can see some detailed photos of the unit here: https://picasaweb.google.com/rickgde...eat=directlink

I haven't attempted to start it yet, anything I should be cautious of...seems to be odd governors/adjustments/dials etc. I'm assuming the starter is 6 volt. Hope I can find someone who knows how to set and fine tune the high idle/governor as it all looks strange. I imagine the welding current would be DC? Muffler and exhaust is mostly gone anyone have photos of what it should look like?

Now I need a truck to put under it! Rick

Last edited by Rick DeBruyn; 13-07-11 at 02:20. Reason: wrong link to photos
Old 13-07-11, 02:57

Fairly recently, I acquired a copy of "Instruction Manual and Parts List - Kachinery Truc Equipment Type "KL"". It was published by Ford Motor Company July 1943 (publication number SE 167). reproductions are available.
Old 13-07-11, 03:28
carrier mech

Good for you Rick, they are a nice welder. I had one on a KL years ago.

When I displayed it, a guy who regularly worked on Lincoln welders assured me that nothing for it would be difficult to get or work on. The flathead will be 6 volt, and likely if you do a quick tune up on the distributor, it should purr like a kitten.

I had to trade a cab11 F15A for my welder, so the price of this one was a bargain. If it were closer to home it would likely be in my shed.
Old 13-09-11, 02:51

Hello Rick.

You may have to go overseas to find a KL these days. Years ago, Peter Ford found National Archive records that indicated only 5 were even allotted for use in Canada: Maritimes, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba and Western Canada. The Manitoba one passed through my hands on it's way eventually to Rob. The Ontario one is still alive and well at Borden. The Quebec one was found by a collector around the time I ran across the one here in Winnipeg and I think the Maritime unit eventually turned up as well. That would leave the Western Canada one unaccounted for and Peter found information it may have spent time in Saskatchewan before moving farther west.

I suspect there was not as much concern about field repair welding here in Canada as there would have been for in theatre repairs in Europe during the war. Fantastic looking Truck when it's all back together and running, but Rob might verify they are very heavy when complete and brutal on gasoline.
Old 13-09-11, 03:52
carrier mech

David
There is no way that the qty of 5 is correct, at least not in post war service. And the "Manitoba one" came from Saskatchewan. It had the markings of the Moose Jaw militia RCEME on it. Peter Ford also had a KL.....not sure where it originated from. Another went through the scrapyard in Winnipeg. Another was at Elliot brothers yard in Ontario. Remnants of another were at Reynolds museum.

The KLs, while not common, were by no means rare either. Even a lot of the accessories were to be found, still hiding at various armories back in the 90s.
Old 02-10-11, 22:53

Default KL Welder

Rick/Rob
Just picked up on this thread. I have a fully restored KL - 42 Chassis - even got the mfg brass plate on the lh rear corner of the bed. the only thing I am missing is the WELDER!! Got the bows and all. Got the truck in Saint John NB at a junk yard where it had led a hard life. The guy sold the welding unit about thirty years ago but doesn't remember to who. I have looked all over the Province, but to no avail. Looks great sitting in my garage, but thats about it. I'd att a pic or two, but I'm a bit of a putz on re-sizing etc. I'll find a welder one day?????????????? Or..............

Cheers, Bill
Old 03-10-11, 00:24
T-16, C15A

Default Ask a welder.

Rick,

Tommy Allen of London has a welder truck just like that one. He used one when he was in the army in WW2 in Italy and beyond. He spent his working life welding, and I am sure that he would he eager to tell you everything you need to know. Lately he welded some grab irons onto a local Sexton - that you may have seen.

If you thought that my dial up access was slow, you should see his! Tommy does not have this new fangled internet, so you will have to call him the old fashioned way.

If you come out to my place next time you are in Ontario he may give you a class in my garage, as his restored unit sleeps in my garage during the winter.

Stewart
Old 03-10-11, 02:30
carrier mech

My old KL ended up in Ontario. It went from Chris Vickery to ???

The KLs were a very heavy truck, and once they had that welder on them, they got a whole lot heavier.
Old 21-04-12, 20:28
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Don Birnie in Stoney Creek ON

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 22-04-12, 03:01

Default What ever happened to Don...?

Is he still around Stoney Creek...... does he still own the KL???

Had a lot of chuckles with him in Chatsworth.....

Hope he is doing well.

There is a complete welder in Quyon PQ with Kirk Armitage.

Bob
Canada