MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-17, 03:36

Default WS19 wiring diagram - schematic

For some time now I've been pondering where the 19 set wiring diagram would have been mounted in Commonwealth M4A4 Sherman tanks. To date I have not uncovered any photographic evidence as to where they would be mounted within the turret interior, and furthermore, I have been advised from a knowledgeable source in England that a location for this wiring diagram could not be determined from a number of Sherman M4A4s "targets" he viewed on tank firing ranges in England. Since one of these plates came in every Sherman installation kit, until today my thought was that it was carried in the Satchel Signal Bag along with a set of headphones. Well, much to my surprise, a current ebay auction yields a possible answer. Pre-drilled mounting holes on each corner of the wiring diagram's plate appear to coincide perfectly with the holes in the mounting plate found welded to the top of the Transceiver case, see attached picture. Has anyone seen photographic evidence for this plate mounted in a similar fashion?
I have an original wiring diagram plate and will be able to test it out on my 19 set this weekend; hopefully another mystery solved! Now I'm curious to see if the wiring diagram can only mount in one direction as pictured, or can the plate be successfully mounted when rotated 90-degrees?
Cheers, Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring Diagram.jpg  
Old 05-10-17, 06:43

Interesting discovery, Patrick.

Any idea how easy it would be to read/reference when mounted there, when the 19-Set in mounted the turret?

David
Old 05-10-17, 10:55

Diagram mounted on right side of turret wall to right of variometer as per pic from "Wireless for the Warrior Vol 2"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wireless Layout Drawing for Sherman V.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	94625

Tim

Last edited by Tim Bell; 05-10-17 at 10:59. Reason: Found diagram
Old 05-10-17, 16:19

Hi Tim,
From what I understand a mounting plate was welded on the side of the turret in early Sherman models but from what I can gather from my sources, this was likely discontinued by the time the M4A4 rolled around. I think by that time it was realized that the wiring diagram was of minor significance to the tank crews (purely my hypothesis/speculation) and was either not installed in the tank or the plate was mounted on the top of the Transceiver. I did check my 19 set this morning and the holes line up perfectly and I can confirm the wiring plate only fits in the pictured configuration. To answer Davids question, I do believe the diagram can be easily read in a tank and furthermore, could be read even if a canvas cover was installed over it. Canvas covers were commonly installed over the radios in the tanks since the tanks engines drew in their fresh air through the tank interior, causing a lot of dust to be drawn into the interior through the hatches. Especially true from veterans who described their experiences in Italy to me.
Old 05-10-17, 17:34

On the firefly... absolutely no chance of reading the plate affixed to the top of the wireless set when installed.

Will send you a pic when we get around to fitting the WS19.

Somewhere I have a pic of a WS19 in an M4A? and will pop that up - it is trawled from google, so you may have seen it.

Tim
Old 05-10-17, 17:38

WS19 pics from online source...

4th County Of London Yeomanry - North Africa 1943.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy Elkins - 4th County of London Yeomanry - Africa - 1943.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	94639

Guess you can probably read the plate if located on top of the box.

Tim