MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 15-01-18, 19:33

Default Wireless Set No. 19, White Scout Car

Hi All. Looking for some help/advice with fitting of a 19 Set in my M3A1 White Scout Car. Have purchased a copy of Fitting Instructions as issued by The War Office (Jan.45) and hoping that someone here on the forum can help with info or leads on where to get more/specific info about the "Frames, Set, Mounting No.1" and aerial "Mounting Bracket No.3" as shown in the attached diagram. I am not aware of or have seen any Canadian issued instructions for this vehicle and figured that I would use the British War Office instructions/layout. My goal is to setup the Scout Car with some equipment and markings (Govenor General's Horse Guards) to reflect a M3A1 Scout Car in service with Canadians during WWII. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Fitting Instructions, Wireless Set No. 19.jpg   White Scout car 19 Set.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 15-01-18 at 19:41.
Old 03-04-18, 22:26

Terry

We had a go at making the corner mount - using photos for reference.

I will pull it out and send you some pics if you want.

It is not quite perfect - but close - I can tell you what is incorrect and then maybe you can do better.

NB - It was made by someone who didn't have access to a White Scout Car at the time - so taking that into consideration, he did a pretty good job.

I have in mind to get a Mk 2 version made some time - just not got around to it yet.

Cheers

Tim
Old 29-04-20, 16:45

Default Wireless Set No. 19, White Scout Car

Hi All. Because of COVID-19, I’ve had some extra time on my hands which has allowed me to make progress with the radio installation. I’ve been gathering the necessary bits and pieces over the last couple of years and have now fabricated a "Frames, Set, Mounting No.1" and two aerial "Mounting Bracket No.3" based on the diagram above. Picture attached. Not perfect but they turned out pretty good. In the above drawing and from what I’ve read/interpreted from the installation manual, the mounting bracket for the No. 9 aerial base seems to have been fitted centrally on the backend armour plate which would possibly obscure your field of view when looking back through a rear view mirror. Having owned the Scout Car for a few years now and often driving with the canvas top on, that view would be even more obscured as the back opening in the canvas is not that big. Because of this, I chose to make it a corner mounted bracket just the same as the No. 10 aerial base. The radio set will be a static display, not operational.
I have a question about mounting the aerial base No.10 to the mounting plate that is attached to the radio set. Should there be some sort of thin gasket, perhaps cork or similar material, between the metal ring of the aerial base and the mounting plate that attaches to the top of the radio? There is nothing about this in the manual and have not been able to find information elsewhere for a similar set-up that might have been possibly been used in another vehicle. I borrowed the picture from another post and added the text. Also…looking for a variometer backplate as per the attached picture. Does anyone here have one they would be willing to sell? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Aerial mounting brackets.1.jpg   Aerial Base and Variometer.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)