MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events > COROWA - THE EVENT

Notices

Old 20-10-07, 04:30
Corowa Project 30

Default 30 Years of Corowa

ANNOUNCING A NEW PROJECT & WEBSITE ABOUT COROWA!

G'day everyone! I'm really happy to be able to share with you news of a new endeavour I've embarked upon to celebrate the 30th year of the Corowa Swim-In, which begins in March 2009.

It was 1980 when a small group of Ford GPA owners decided to gather together, at Corowa, NSW. The location was chosen because it boasted a perfect site for the 'swim-in', along the banks of the beautiful Murray River. The first swim-in went so well that it was decided to do it again the following year; this time, more ex-military vehicle owners who had heard about the success of the first one scrambled to declare that they would like to bring their vehicles as well... and a 30-year tradition had begun!

Staged annually since then, the Corowa event has grown beyond anyone's wildest dreams, to become the premier military vehicle show in the Southern Hemisphere.

Where I fit into all this is that having attended the very first show so long ago, I have since become one of the central organisers of the event, since the 1990's. With Corowa's 30th year coming up, I have decided to begin work on a project to celebrate these 30 years, by producing a printed publication which will capture the memories of all those who have attended from the beginning onwards, in stories and photographs.

To note this, I have created a website to explain Project 30 in detail, as well as seek your input for the publication. I invite you to visit my site at Corowa Project 30, which will explain in detail just what I'm doing and what and who is involved! My site at http://www.corowa30.org is a long way from being finished right now, but we're doing a little bit every day and hope that you'll help us with your comments and suggestions. You can do just that right here...

At the same time as helping me develop the site (in conjunction with Keith Webb), Geoff Winnington-Ball ('Jif') has graciously donated me this small corner of MLU, to provide me with a place where I can interact directly online with those of you who have an interest in Corowa; many of you have already given me their support for Corowa30 and I hope to talk to many more of you as time goes on!

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to seeing you both here and there!

Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 20-10-07, 06:03

Default Corowa 30

Congratulations Jan, it's great that the event finally has a website to let us know what is happening. I can see this growing almost as big as the event itself. I suppose not everyone who attends has a computer.. Otherwise it would.
Again congrats.
By the way, I spoke to Ted last night and he passes on his best wishes. He will probably ring.
Old 20-10-07, 06:11
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Great to see

Congratulations, Jan this is a welcome boost to the Corowa MV fraternity as well as the wider community.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 20-10-07, 08:23
Corowa Project 30

Ian,
I know you have mentioned to the Committee that a website would be beneficial, however my website is actually focussed on the 30th Year event and not the event in its annual form.
There may be an opportunity for people interested to set one up for the annual event at a later date.
Research & Development
Old 20-10-07, 08:25

Default Corowa 30

OK. Thanks Jan.
Old 20-10-07, 12:49

Hi Jan,

Good to see the website up and running, well done!

I first attended the Corowa Swim-In in 1996, the year after coming over for Back To The Track, then on three more years, last one in 2001. I have a great many memories and photos taken at Corowa, also articles I wrote for our mv club mags back home, so some of this may be of interest to you, for the project.

I have met some great people on my visits to Corowa, and made many new friends, some of whom have come over to England for our events here.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 20-10-07, 13:29
RIP

Default Corowa 30

Hi all
You sly little doggies kept this one quiet, however congratulations on a great looking site. I have plenty of time to design the hat for that year.
Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 20-10-07, 15:07
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Corowa 30

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Hi all
You sly little doggies kept this one quiet, however congratulations on a great looking site. I have plenty of time to design the hat for that year.
Bob
G'day Bob, and thanks! Yes, surprises are good...
But "sly"...? Who, us? I prefer the term 'industrious' m'self... ... no point in broadcasting something that hadn't been ready to release, though...

Quite seriously, it's a great concept Jan has in mind, and once I reviewed some of the material she had at-hand, I was happy to sign on and do what I could to help out! The more the merrier, eh?

As me mum used to say, keeps me off the streets anyway!

I felt that with the combination of Jan's unique perspective of Corowa, Keith's professional approach to the photographic end of things, my web presentation support, and the input of innumerable people who've enjoyed Corowa over the last three decades, she could produce something really unique and timely. In acknowledging the efforts of those who've worked so hard in the past, with Corowa30, Jan is in effect building a bridge to the future.

I would just like to reiterate what's written on the site and urge anyone at all who feels they may have something to contribute to the Project to post here or get in touch with one of us through Corowa30's Contact page.

Thanks again mate!

Old 21-10-07, 11:40
Corowa Project 30

Things are positive so far. I received an email from one of the original organisers and look forward to the information he will be sending.
Research & Development
Old 23-10-07, 08:46
Corowa Project 30

An interesting report from Ian Grieve will be included on the website shortly. Thanks to people who have emailed offering support. Further links to other clubs and individuals will appear shortly.
Research & Development
Old 31-10-07, 08:54
Corowa Project 30

In the History of Corowa section it now contains a report by Ian Grieve which is very interesting. I am looking for more reports from people of their memories of the event. It provides interesting reading for those who have only attended once or for a few years and it also brings back memories to those who have been going for longer. Most people will have fond memories however there may be things that happened to people that they would also like to share. If you can remember the years that you attended we would like to include these in our event section. Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Research & Development