MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 29-08-13, 17:19

Default The Borden Panther

Spinning off of the Grizzly Firefly thread, here is a photo of the Panther tank which was located at CFB Borden back in 1984.

At the time we got to see it, it had indeed just recently been sandblasted and repainted. Sadly, not only was the possibility of locating unit markings etc. on it lost, this particular Panther had also been noteworthy for possessing a complete covering of Zimmermit, anti-magnetic mine paste, the formula for which was lost during the war. Traces of the coating could still be seen in a few locations on the lower hull, above the tracks.

The other bit of information we learned about this Panther was that before it was put on display outside in Worthington Park, the engine had been removed. It was unclear what happened to it, but when the Panther was towed over to Worthington Park for display, it was discovered it sat nose low due o the loss of engine weight in the rear. To level it out, we were told cement was poured into the engine compartment. We could not verify that as all hatched had been tack welded shut.

If this vehicle is now at the Canadian War Museum, I hope they contact the armour museum in Germany for assistance on the history of this Panther. I know complete records have survived for much of the Tiger and King Tiger production and this information covers the vehicle from delivery date to each unit served with, repairs, rebuilds and dates of loss. Similar records may very well exist for the Panther. For the Tigers, the serial number was stamped into the front armour plating somewhere. It is apparently easy to spot because it was stamped. I believe part numbers were actually cast into the part in question and show up as raised numbers. A long shot, but probably worth looking into by the CWM.

Another memory just popped into my head. We were also told that a number of German tank parts had recently been recovered from one of the ranges at Borden. They were not sure what the vehicle had been but were aware a number of German armoured vehicles had arrived at Borden for evaluation after the war.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Borden Panther.jpg  
Old 30-08-13, 21:03
M38A1 CDN3

I have a similar picture of that Panther, along with pics all the other tanks along Armour Row in Worthington Park before they were re-distributed around the Base.(Apparently an RCD CWO named Angus was responsible for the re-distribution as well as the re-painting with that ghastly gloss grey/green/whatever colour).

It's been in the back of my mind to slide down to Borden and see what has been wrought. I wonder if the Hetzer is still around? Last I saw of it, it was inside one of the hangars in the old Armoured School lines.
Old 22-11-13, 15:48
Mil history fiend

This Panther is indeed in the hands of the CWM in Ottawa and has been on display since 2009. It was cosmetically restored (including new zimmerit) and can be found in the LeBreton Gallery, which is mainly an indoor tank park. I took a few pictures and will post them soon. A picture and short bio here:

http://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vie...s-website-free

Cheers,

Last edited by Brian Carey; 22-11-13 at 16:05.
Old 22-11-13, 20:47
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carey View Post
Not sure what that site does, better to go to the source:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzers.html

H.
Old 23-11-13, 00:46

Here are some photos of the Panther I took back in May 2008 at the CWM.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2992.jpg   DSCF2982.jpg   DSCF2986.jpg