MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 03-02-21, 14:39

Default Restoration of a Chevrolet WA

New (used) replacement engine installed and running. Additionally, the missing torque tube is also finally in place...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0139.jpg   IMG_0141.jpg   IMG_0145.jpg   IMG_0149.jpg  
Old 03-02-21, 18:03

Default Beautiful job Philippe

....now I know who to ask for advice on the torque tube......

Just got over a cold spell of minus 21C and we chickened working in the barn
for 4 consecutive days......takes too long to warm up the place and only leaves a few hours for actual work.

One question.....what is the actual height of those sand tires??

You are doing great!!!!!!

Stay healthy
Canada
Old 03-02-21, 19:22

Never done one before, but got it figured out pretty good... It is actually a very good design, with the only drawback today being the lack of parts...;((

BTW, I have another post about parts wanted... Some have to do with the torque tube... If you could gloss it over, I would appreciate it.

I guess if you want to work in the barn you have to start the fire at 6.00 am!..

The actual height of the Goodyear R-3's is 30.75" with the weight of the truck... You loose close to 1" without any of the weight... The other tires I purchased are 31.50" and are now mounted on the closed cab truck... I think I will purchase 6 more for lack of anything else... You can see the two tires side by side for comparison... The Chinese deal I had for 12 of the other sand tires similar to what I got went south when it got complicated with the usual stuff...

I'm moving slower than I would like to, but inching along... At least I have a running vehicle with a torque tube. On to the brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7918 (2).JPG  
Old 04-02-21, 03:49

Default I am confused.....

...after looking at the recent posting of the tube what else is missing?????

Inching along is all it takes. I am working inside cleaning up a spare basement bedroom that we have been using for storage..... half is going to the junkyard. Will convert the bedroom into a walk in closet for seasonal clothes nad a small radio room as I am taking everything out of the sun room.... bunch of no 19 military radios and tube testers.....boss's orders she wants the sun room back. I had it for 7 years and do miss it for relaxation on cold sunny days.

Joyce as now decided to retire in March so we need to make more efficient use of the rooms we have.

Busy right now redoing my 1940 cargo box 3 to make one. I looks like, at this point in time that I will be using the 1937 rolling frame that has been restored by PO and build an early 38/39 short wheel base officer truck....around 128 inches instead of the 133 in. I found out that the brake have all beendone by PO, new wheel cylinder, frameblack epoxy and fabricate a civilian cargo box to fit the frame...... may copy from the 1940 truckbox for design model. Current GM wheel/rims are 16 inches with mismatched civvy tires but low and behold the Chrysler trucks of 73 to early 80s have 16 inch rims with the same 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern.....now shopping forlarge/wide 7 or 8 inches ( maybe after market) used rims..... that wouldbe a direct bolt on and keep the other parts for making a proper 1533 Canadian model at a later date...... should I live that long....

On your 39 open cab w2hat kind of box are you planning...... the original 30 some locally modified used something very similar to the civilian model cargo box withadded wooden side for greater height...... you could copy from a 3/4 ton standard Chev box...... I have seen nice repro stake side pockets for Ford boxes ..... GM boxes must exist also somewhere.... the rest is all flat 16 gauge sheet metal......

Doing a 42 CDN 107 inch box should be fairly straight forward with the guidance of the guys from Australia.

I am desperately trying to teach myself how to do a professional sketch on the computer using Fusion 360....... supposedly easy but hard for my thick skull.....wold make posting results of my designs on MLU very easy and a dream to order parts pre bent from the steel fabricator.

I can work up to 16 gauge 40 inches at the pan brake in the barn..... headboards and tailgates and longer side parts I have to get pre cut and pre bent but then I can switch to 14 gauge for greater stability on the wide spans.

So much to do so little time...... follow up on my home email.......

Stay healthy

Bob C
Canada
Old 05-02-21, 00:51

Well, you know there is always stuff to do... After getting the engine running, I have to remove the oil pan and take care of a leak up front... previous owner loved silicone and just gobbed it in there instead of doing the job right!

Then I move into the brakes... Trying to find a 18" brake hose for the rear, since a 16-1/2 that supposedly goes there is too stretched out...

Wow, the radio collection sounds interesting, but not so much the cleaning part; though necessary to keep the boss happy!

I'm just making a box with 2x6 lumber and 2" vertical steel pieces to resemble a military box... I have nothing to go by except one photo, and no place to get information, so I'm just making happen what I can with what I have...Sorry about the wooden pallet, it was my workbench and forgot to remove for the photo!

I say you lucked out with the rim situation on the truck, I had no option but to have my wheels made fror $1200 for the set...

Well, that is true computer talent; I turn it on and do a google search, maybe crop some photos... Like the idea of doing much more, but have no patience for 3 steps equal one move, line or action...

Can only dream to have a barn/shop like the one you have... Someday!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6919 - Copy R.jpg   IMG_7243.JPG   IMG_7126.JPG   41980075-8447-4adc-a0e7-d52b.jpg   IMG_7244 (2).JPG  

Old 12-06-21, 23:12

Default Restoration of a Chevrolet WA....

A little progress with the truck, almost done with the bed... I would like to find a hinge similar to the last photo to do a tailgate, but no luck so far...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1060.jpg   IMG_1063.jpg   IMG_1067.jpg   IMG_1502.JPG.3d3e06115a58ae559ecd4857b00dd438.jpg   IMG_1308.jpg  

Last edited by Philippe Jeanneau; 05-07-21 at 23:07.