MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 17-08-04, 03:31
Senior Forum Member

Post Churchill Oke flame-thrower

Someone had asked on a pervious thread about information on the Churchill Oke flame-thrower and their use at Dieppe. Unfortunately, I can't remember who asked the question or on what thread it was on, but this is what I have found regarding the subject.

The concept of the equipment was put forward by a Major Oke (hence, Oke flame-thrower). He suggested that the normal jettison fuel container, fitted to most tanks at this time, would make an ideal reservoir for a flame-thrower instead of the awkward trailer that was being used for this purpose on other tank mounted flame-thrower designs. The jettison fuel container was connected up to a Ronson-type projector and fitted to a Churchill tank where it was operated by a crew member from the hull MG gunner's seat. Thus the Churchill Oke flame-thrower was born.

The Churchill Oke, was developed by the Petroleum Warfare Department very quickly in 1942., so that the idea of a flame-throwing vehicle could be tested under combat conditions on the Dieppe Raid. A complete Ronson flame-throwing system was installed in a Churchill Mk II. The flame fuel container was mounted at the rear, and a pipe passed through the left pannier to project between the front horns (right of the hull MG).

Three of these vehicles took part on the Dieppe Raid, with the result that all three were destroyed before they could get into action.

The range of the Oke flame-thrower was 40 to 50 yards.

The top photo below shows the projector itself to the right of the hull MG, and the bottom photo shows the rear mounted fuel reservoir with the pipe leading from it to the front mounted projector.

So, to whoever it was that asked the question, here is the answer, although a bit brief.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
oke.jpg  

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 24-08-04 at 01:15.
Old 17-08-04, 10:08
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Churchill Oke flame-thrower

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Someone had asked on a pervious thread about information on the Churchill Oke flame-thrower and their use at Dieppe.
Here you go: Canadian Churchill VII question
Old 17-08-04, 14:18
Senior Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: Churchill Oke flame-thrower

Thanks Hanno.
Old 18-08-04, 22:37
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Churchill Oke flame-thrower use at Dieppe # 1

Found some information on the three Churchills that were equipped with the Oke flame-thrower system at Dieppe.

All three were crewed by 8 Troop, "B" Squadron, 14th Army Tank Regiment (The Calgary Regiment (Tank)), C.A.C. and were carried on TLC-3 (Tank Landing Craft) No 159. The three Churchills were:

Vehicle Name: BULL
W.D. #: T 31862
Vehicle Type: Churchill MkI Oke
Sqn Tac Markings: 8 in a blue square

Vehicle Name: BOAR
W.D. #: T 32049

Vehicle Name: Beetle
W.D. #: T 68875

BULL was the Troop Commanders tank and was launched prematurely and 'drowned' in ten feet of water approx. 100 yds off shore. (the junction of Red and White Beaches)

BOAR, in making a 'heavy' landing from TLC-3, knocked off her flame-thrower fuel reservoir, but managed to cross the beach and onto the promenade in the area of the Cassino. She remained mobile throughout the morning before being ordered back to the beach to cover the withdrawal. Once back on the shoreline, she was made immobile and acted as a pillbox.

BEETLE, also landing 'heavy', broke a pin on her right track and remained immobilized on the shore line, at the eastern end of Red Beach, also acting as a pillbox.

Below are pictured BOAR (top photo) immobilized on the shoreline and the 'drowned' BULL (bottom photo). Notice the Oke flame projector to the right of BOAR's hull MG.
Attached Thumbnails
oke boar-bull.jpg  
Old 18-08-04, 22:44
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Churchill Oke flame-thrower use at Dieppe # 2

The photo below shows the immobilized BEETLE on the shore line (LCT-3 in the background). Notice the flame-thrower fuel reservoir and the pipe leading into the left side pannier. The bottom photo is a close-up of BEETLE's flame-thrower fuel reservoir with the pipe leading away to the pannier.
Attached Thumbnails
oke beetle.jpg  
Old 18-08-04, 22:52
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Churchill Oke flame-thrower use at Dieppe # 3

Below is an air reconnaissance photo taken by the R.A.F. on 21 August, 1942. Looking left to right, the final positions of #11 - BOAR, # 23 - the 'drowned' BULL and # 25 - BEETLE. The Cassino is in the lower left corner of the photo.
Attached Images

Old 19-10-04, 23:36
AKA LegalAssassin

Mr Tonner, I'm very interested in learning more about Dieppe as I've been researching it for a few months now and hope to map out the exact course of events based on eyewitness accounts and all other forms of evidence.

The airphoto caught my eye - do you have the key to the other numbers? It would help me greatly to learn the exact position of each tank.

Thanks, Stefan.
Old 20-10-04, 01:13
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LegalAssassin
Mr Tonner, I'm very interested in learning more about Dieppe as I've been researching it for a few months now and hope to map out the exact course of events based on eyewitness accounts and all other forms of evidence.

The airphoto caught my eye - do you have the key to the other numbers? It would help me greatly to learn the exact position of each tank.

Thanks, Stefan.
Hi Stefan;

No need to be so formal, "Mark" will do fine, instead of "Mr. Tonner".

In answer to your question, yes I have the key to the other numbers, would you like me to post the corresponding information for these numbers?

Cheers
Old 20-10-04, 01:22
AKA LegalAssassin

Please do, Mark It'd be a great help!

I've noticed it's always good to start off formal and work down, noticed some people get reluctant if you go the other way
Old 20-10-04, 01:28
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LegalAssassin
Please do, Mark It'd be a great help!

I've noticed it's always good to start off formal and work down, noticed some people get reluctant if you go the other way
I'll repost the picture and the complete key within the next day or so.

Cheers
Old 20-10-04, 02:20
David Pope

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Dieppe raid. I had a neighbour who commanded a normal Churchill in the raid. In their briefing they were told that none of the houses in Dieppe had basements. He came ashore and made it through all the barriers and up into the town. There was a house in the way so he went through it. You guessed it! It had a basement and he was stuck, so the crew made their way back to the beach on foot and most were evacuated.
Old 19-10-10, 19:49

I've searched on the forum but couldn't find a more appropriate place to post this German photograph, currently for sale on ebay (and no bids). It is incorrectly listed as Dunkirk.

Unfortunately, these small period prints rarely enlarge well.
Old 19-10-10, 21:42
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Payne View Post
I've searched on the forum but couldn't find a more appropriate place to post this German photograph, currently for sale on ebay (and no bids). It is incorrectly listed as Dunkirk.
Hi Rich;

Churchill tanks fitted with the Oke flame-throwing apparatus in Canadian service, were designated Churchill Mk II (Special). The three Churchill Mk II (Special) tanks at Dieppe were crewed and operated by No. 8 Troop, “B” Squadron of The Calgary Regiment.

Attached is a copy of your photo in which I have indicated, with a red arrow, the only Churchill tank fitted with the Oke flame-throwing apparatus that appears in the photo, this being Census No.: T32049 (BOAR), which in making a heavy landing from TLC 159, knocked her flame-thrower fuel reservoir off her rear deck, but managed to cross the beach and onto the promenade in the area of the Cassino. She remained mobile throughout the morning before being ordered back to the beach to cover the withdrawal. Once back on the shoreline, she was immobilized and acted as a pillbox.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Dieppe - Boar.jpg  
Old 19-10-10, 21:58

Thanks Mark. To be honest, I wondered having read your thread if I was looking at 'BULL' out to sea in the centre.

With my inability to identify the flamethrowers, I'd have felt happier posting on a general Dieppe photographic thread but strangely there doesn't seem to be one and it seemed a little 'over the top' to start a new thread for a single image on eBay.
Old 20-10-10, 02:46

Default dieppe

"Dieppe" "through the Lens" series has several good quality prints of the above mention tanks.
Old 20-10-10, 07:10
Dennis Gelean

Default flame thrower

For information on Tank Flame throwers, one should contact Capt James Bond retired, thru CWM. As part of chemical warfare he was called upon to diffuse
Jammed flame throwers as well as testing wine and gas. AS part of my chemical warfare interests, he provided good info and pictures. He was the main Volunteer at Vimy House, Hull Quebec, across the bridge from Ottawa.
Old 20-10-10, 15:00
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: ... out to sea in the centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Payne View Post
Thanks Mark. To be honest, I wondered having read your thread if I was looking at 'BULL' out to sea in the centre.
Hi Rich;

If I’m not mistaken, the Churchill tank out to sea in the centre is BRENDA (a Churchill Mk III, Census No.: T68760R).

Cheers
Old 20-10-10, 16:16

Default Vimy House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Gelean View Post
Vimy House, Hull Quebec, across the bridge from Ottawa.
Although the mailing address for the War Museum may have been given as Hull (or more recently Gatineau) Quebec, the War Museum and Vimy House are/were located in Ottawa. I suspect such a mailing address arose from the fact that the War Museum was been taken under the administration of the Museum of Civilization which was moved to Hull before municipal amalgamation several years ago when the whole region took on the name of the smaller munipality of Gatineau because Hull was excessively English. (Their web site this morning gave their address as: 1 Vimy Place, Ottawa, Ontario.)

As a historical aside, Vimy House was originally built as the streetcar barn for Ottawa. It was visibly expanded at least once but kept the industrial character of the building that I thought suited the vehicles and other artifacts stored there. With the construction of the new War Museum, Vimy House was sold off to the private sector (I believe for use as a self-storage facility). Not all of the vehicles that were stored at Vimy House are visible at the new War Museum. There isn''t known (hidden) storage there, does anyone know where the remainder are stored? I would like to take a look at one of the trucks to find out if there are casting/parts #s I can find to aid in a puzzle I am trying to solve.