MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 16-08-17, 01:25

Default New Carrier Guy

Hi all, I have looked here occasionally and been impressed by the depth of knowledge and talent (restoration skills)...sadly I possess little on the Carrier subject.

I do however own a 1941 SA Railways LP2A Carrier (#1494).

I took her out for a run to a local vintage tractor/machinery display weekend a few days ago. Got some great interest in the display which was really nice.

I was approached whilst there by a fellow stating he had an original carrier trailer (semi). I am hoping to follow him up and get some pics and further info. These are unknown to me but presumably the factory/army had such equipment. Hoping somebody here may have references to such trailers?

Picture of my carrier attached.

best regards,
Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
carrier.jpg  
Old 16-08-17, 02:33
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Some photos and discussion on towing Carriers in THIS THREAD.
Old 16-08-17, 04:25

Thanks Tony, some great information there. I will pursue the contact and see what comes of it....
regards,
Peter.
Old 16-08-17, 06:02

Very nice complete carrier Peter well done . Can we have some walk around photos please .. Dale
Old 16-08-17, 06:15

Hi Dale, am presently away from home on business, but will get it outside in the sun when I get back and can do a 'walk around'. Just one more from same event with 3" Mortar set up.
regards,
Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
carrier2.jpg  
Old 17-08-17, 03:01

Default MG Carrier Hull Number 1494

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a nice carrier.

The original military registration was C-24408, which was probably changed to the hull number 1494 during 1942, but the change order for your particular carrier was not noted in the vehicle register (AWM126 - available on line at the AWM website). Most carrier registrations change over to the hull number during the first several months of 1942.

The original engine number was 2G7704F. The engine number translates as a 1941 production (the '2') and 3-3/16 inch bore, 95hp V8 coupled to a four speed transmission (the 'G'), and the 7,704 engine in that series. The F indicates 'Foreign' to US & Canadian domestic production, ie for right hand drive vehicles. The first engine number issued in Australia in that series was 2G219F in January 1941.

Your carrier was retained in the post-war period, and written off by Board of Survey at 4 Base Ordnance Depot, South Australia, on 12 July 1956. It was listed for auction on 11 October 1956. At the time of disposal, the engine fitted was engine number 2G14172F.

Regards

Mike
Old 19-08-17, 08:53

Hi Mike, that's incredible, I have learnt more from your three paragraphs about the history of my carrier than I have during the entire six years of owning her! Thank you very much, that information fills in some big pieces of the jigsaw for me.
Your book is the only reference I have on Carriers apart from the original manuals and it has certainly proved its worth over the last few years. I have tried my very best to equip /display the carrier as per the army manifest to pay the respect to those that built and served on them that they deserve.
Best regards,
Peter.