MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 21-05-07, 14:16

Last weekend I visited the "Operation Amherst" event on Eelde airfield near Groningen, The Netherlands. The announcement said 200 vehicles, but sadly only three of these were CMP's.

One of the CMP's was the Chev attached. Can anyone comment on the body? It appears to be a Lindsey body, but I am puzzeled by the left side doors and rear door. Would this be a post-war mod. or is it just something new for me?

Alex

Left side doors with windows.
Attached Thumbnails
p1010230b.jpg   p1010262b.jpg   p1010263b.jpg   lindsey-4.jpg   lindsey-4.jpg  

Old 22-05-07, 09:49

Hi Alex
Its possible its a restructured Lindsey body but i believe that some of the Dafs built in the 1950s had a body i think built by Daf along similer lines to the Lindsey.
Old 22-05-07, 19:38
MVT Member 11001

Default CMP Body

Just to stick my neck out.....From photos I have seen of many types of vehicle over the last 30 years it seems that windows with rounded corners are a post war 'thing.'

Oh dear I've said it now and I'm going to get slaughtered!
Old 22-05-07, 22:30

Default Re: CMP Body

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hayward
Oh dear I've said it now and I'm going to get slaughtered!
Not by me, I was thinking the same. They look like the type of window that were used in the 70s to "customize" vans. Wouldn't the "Pullman style" windows as used on the wireless vans be more typical of CMPs? I was thinking that left hand side looked a bit like the dropdown panel used on some machinery bodies to form a work bench with a flip up panel to add shelter over the bench beside the truck, however this one seems to be hinged at the top and does not seem to fill the opening.
Old 23-05-07, 10:15

Les, Larry, Grant

Thanks for your ideas. The windows with the rounded corners also surprised me. The Chev had some other "interesting" features too, like a roof hatch which is of a similar shape as the windows and a painted over chrome handle on the left side of the body.

I recon the body was indeed a Lindsey one, but converted somewhere during it's life with different doors on left and the rear. the edge around the doors on the left hand side also seem to suggest that a tent can be fitted.
I wasn't ablt to find a Lindsey factory plate, unfortunately. Maybe it's a Daf body indeed(?)

Alex