MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 14-04-18, 12:25

Default C60 radiator overflow tank connection

Hi everybody, I am getting my C60 radiator re-cored. Could anybody tell me, or post a picture, to show how the overflow tank connects to the radiator. I assume it connects to the radiator over flow pipe. I further imagine that the over flow pipe would be shortened [probably near the top tank]. I have to get this right & none of my old radiators are of any help with a clue, as they all have overflow pipes to below the bottom tank. The overflow tank is above the front of the mudguard near the side vent, on this vehicle.

I am told that this is not a pressured system & that it has a plain cap i.e. no spring & valve under the cap.

All help will be appreciated.

Ken Thomas
C60
Old 14-04-18, 13:37

Default Pattern 11, 12 or 13

Hi Ken

Which Pattern 12 it comes off the filler neck, 13 off the top tank, but don't forget get the steam relief line coming off the back of the block which connects to the top tank as well.

Both the recovery tank and the steam relief are very important to making cooling system work correctly. I run all three of my CMPs with the steam relief open just a little bit which first vents any steam or air out of the back of the block, it also allows coolant to start circulating when the thermostat is closed fully when starting, helping to stop hot spots in the block.

When the coolant recovery system is working as designed it really keeps the radiator full at all times. You may have seen the photo of my Pat 12 running with an clear bottle attached to the vent on the standard coolant recovery tank. This is how I charge the recovery tank with coolant so that it always as some coolant whether engine is cold or full hot.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 15-04-18, 01:55

Default Re radiator overflow tank connection

Thanks Phil, could you give me a diagram or photo of the overflow pipe from the centre of the top tank to the point where it connects to the hose to the overflow tank. I want to determine the shape & length of the copper pipe & how it is supported i.e. where it may be soldered to the top tank or side strap before it connects to the hose. Thanks Ken.
Old 15-04-18, 02:38

Two images of the radiator in my Cab 13 C15A.
Attached Thumbnails
Cab 13 C15A radiator 1.jpg   Cab 13 C15A radiator 2.jpg  
Old 15-04-18, 03:42

Default Radiator overflow pipe

Hi Grant thanks for that. Exactly what I needed. I will take it to the radiator shop tomorrow. Ken. And thanks again to Phil.
Old 15-04-18, 17:33

Default Isn't MLU Great?

Hi Ken

This is why I have enjoyed MLU for all these years, a question gets asked and answered in short order. Grant beat me on the photos of the Pat 13 Radiator recovery and seam relief tube locations, so below is the top tank of Pattern 12 Chev Radiator which is different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat 12 Rad.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	99332

Please post some photos of your new radiator.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 15-04-18, 18:14

Default Steam Relief

Do we need the steam relief with a 54 235? High water passeges on the head.
Old 16-04-18, 01:53

Default I've put them on both 235 and 261s

Hi Harry

I've added them to both my C60S with 261 and C60L with 235. With my testing on engine test stand I've come to the conclusion that running the engine with the steam valve just barely open helps getting the engine to equalize temperature faster and better. My Pattern 12 had overheating problems with 216, before it got the 235 which fixed the over heating. The combination good seal on the radiator cap and coolant recovery tank keeps the radiator full of coolant to the point that when you remove the radiator cap it dumps coolant all over the engine. Loose about 16 ounces of coolant.

Have photos of fittings to use on the latter engine's, will dig them out and post.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 16-04-18, 03:01

Default steam line

originally I had the steam line on my 235, later i removed it to relocate the temperature gauge. it then would go way up in teperature and then the thermostat would open and a lot of pressure was let into the top of the radiator sometimes pushing the capo off and overflowing the overflow bottle. i fixed that by drilling a 1/8" hole in the thermostat, no spike in temperature and no boil over. it just rises to operating temperature and stays there.
Old 16-04-18, 03:21

Default Steam tube.....

Having had the benefit of Phil's experience with the steam tube when I fired up my engine, I decided to install one on my rebuilt 261 WITH the addition of a 1/4 turn valve and a translucent plastic tube from the engine to the rad filler neck.

I ran the engine in various modes of valve open / valve closed and this is what I observed.

After running the engine to full temperature with the valve closed.... when the valve was open a whole bunch of foamy green antifreeze was ejected in the clear tube on the way to the radiator until it was solid flowing green.

When we started the engine with the valve open there was a solid color flow of antifreeze and never any air bubbles. I concluded that the steam vent did serve a purpose and decided to install the permanent steam line with the system left open with out the valve...... on top of the vent fitting on the engine head is the heat gauge sensor which settles in at 160/165 with my 160 thermostat...... never has it over heated.

I see no detrimental effect of having it open and certainly allows the air to bleed out of the head.

My early cab 11 did not have a overflow tank, they were later retrofitted on cab 11, mine never got one. So my side sheet metal panels had no bolt holes ( as found on the cab 12) so I ran my engine with a plastic pop bottle to catch the overflow for quite a while. Satisfied that it was advantageous to have such a tank, I bought and installed an after market Stainless Steel tank for hot rods... it is slim, 12 inches tall and mounted near the radiator horse collar frame under the hood and totally out of view. .... of course it was sandblasted and painted OD green..... and it serves its purpose well.

My permanent steam line and supporting bracket were fabricated from steel brake line covered with the woven canvass/tarred tubing by copying a cab 12 installation.

Cheers
Canada