MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 20-08-18, 20:39

Default Kapyong Barracks, Winnipeg

I took long enough, but the old 2PPCLI Barracks are finally coming down.

Took a drive by on the weekend and the two large warehouses at the south end of the complex are now gone. At the north end, the Lippsett Hall Rec Centre is about one half demolished, and back at the South end, on the northeast corner of Kenaston and Taylor, what I recall as a vehicle repair shop with a fuel station in front of it, is currently being stripped of all interior fittings.

Lots of buildings in the main complex with holes punched in the sides of then so I suspect before the snow flies, it will all be leveled and gone.

David
Old 20-08-18, 21:34
carrier mech

I noticed while travelling on Taylor ave a few weeks back, that the two old Base supply warehouses were torn open at the back.

The pumps were by building C1, which held stake trucks, buses and crew cabs, as well as the Vehicle servicing section. I worked out of there for a few years in my early career. After the base elements all moved to the North site, it was used by the RCMP to store their surplus or new vehicles.

The transfer of the lands to the now current owners was resisted for as long as possible by the federal government. In the meantime, the buildings were allowed to deteriorate to the point of being unsafe or un-inhabitable. Whether that was by design or coincidence is up to debate.
Old 20-08-18, 23:53

Default Signage?

I was assured by Wayne Cline that the building signage was not being sent to the dump. Ypres/Vimy etc.?
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 01-10-18, 04:17

Headed past Kapyong again today and noticed Lippsett Hall is just an empty field now and the demolition of Building C1 was almost complete.

Interestingly, the building directly across Taylor from Building C1, on the South side. is being very carefully dismantled. It is an all steel structure by the looks of it so might have been sold to be moved/rebuilt somewhere else. I think that was the building Rob Love caught a lot of nap time in. If I recall correctly, at one time there used to be a deuce Office Body outside the Northwest corner of that building serving as a smoke shack.

David
Old 01-10-18, 07:21
carrier mech

Over my decade in Winnipeg, I worked in buildings located on 3 of the 4 corners of that intersection. I spent my first years in Base Maintenance (I think it was Bldg P-6 if I recall correctly), and also spent time in C1. Once posted to the PPCLI, I worked out of the building on the other corner, but can't recall the building number. There was no sleeping there that I can recall David.

The only building on that intersection that I wasn't posted to was the Base supply warehouse, although I did repair a forklift or two in there a couple of times.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the sites.