Default Bearing numbers

Cab 13 chev bearing numbers needed front hub 4x4
Old 09-10-15, 22:03
MLU Administrator

Jeff, did you search this thread?
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1814
Old 09-10-15, 22:35

Default Bearing sources.

Not sure if you have General Bearing Services shop on the West coast or find an industrial bearing supplier......

Take careful precise measurements in metric both inside and outside as well as depth....... ask them to do a search by size....... they should come up with a bunch of different suppliers/makers. The part number on the bearings MAY be useful but do not rely on them.

You should also look for the replacement seal for the front axle...... surprisingly still stock item used in todays industry..... again measurements are essential...... although in this case of the old Chicago rawhide seals the numbers may still be useful and they will be made with Neoprene. If you find NOS seal with leather be careful..... some are so dried up as to be useless..... and in any event leather seals need to be soaked in motor oil for a few days before installing.

If you run into major problems let us know we may be able to source from Ottawa.

Cheers

Good luck
Canada
Old 09-10-15, 22:59
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
You should also look for the replacement seal for the front axle...... surprisingly still stock item used in todays industry..... again measurements are essential...... although in this case of the old Chicago rawhide seals the numbers may still be useful and they will be made with Neoprene.
Although CR was acquired by SKF the part numbers are still used. Go to http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/ and select "Seals North America Part Lookup" or "Seals North America Interchange".

HTH,
H.
Old 10-10-15, 17:40

Default Bearings

No luck searching the thread.
I cannot open the zip files on My phone or at work.
Regards
Jeff
Old 10-10-15, 18:20
carrier mech

As far as I know, the knuckles on Ford and Chev were pretty much the same. On a Ford 4-7/8 knuckle end (F15A), the bearing numbers given in the manual are:
outer bearing and race: 399A and cup 394A
inner bearing and race 462 and cup 463

Above numbers are Timken and still valid today.

If you need the pivot bearings, you are looking at New Departure 928. Obsolete but in stock with a couple dealers from this board.

If you have the knuckles off, an important and often forgotten seal is the inner axle seals. They are located just at the large flange before the knuckles. They prevent diff oil from reaching the knuckles, at which time they will make large puddles on the insides of your tires. I have a couple to do at work. The seal is obsolete, but I believe you can use the inner axle seal and retainer from the M35 military trucks (MLVW in Canada) and turn down the retainer on a lathe to work. I'll advise on this when I do one in the next couple weeks.

Edited to add that to change these seals on a chev, you only have to remove the whole knuckle assembly. But to do the ones on a Ford, the short side is just the knuckle, the long side you have to remove the whole axle assembly, split the housing and remove the diff, then you can access the seal. Mr Ford made a boo boo on this one. Of well, one mistake on the whole truck isn't bad I guess. The beautiful V8 more than makes up for it in the end.

Last edited by rob love; 10-10-15 at 20:10.
Old 10-10-15, 18:58

Default Remind us which Chev

Hi Jeff

Remind us again which Pattern 13 Chevy you are working on, also are you looking for all the different bearings or particular ones.

May help nail down a number from someone who has ordered them recently. As Rob said all but the pivot are readily available from commercial sources.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 10-10-15, 20:08
carrier mech

He was just asking about a chev 15cwt 4x4 brake shoes the other day, so my money says it is those he is after.
Old 11-10-15, 18:09

Default C15a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
He was just asking about a chev 15cwt 4x4 brake shoes the other day, so my money says it is those he is after.
Yep a C15A, that i passed on to him a little while ago. i bought it for spare parts and when i moved it to rearrange my storage Jeff and Riley looked it over. We agreed that in the right hands it was restore-able. They have tore into it and are really making progress in a little over a month.
Riley just drove up to the Okannogan to collect a box for the back.