MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 09-04-17, 23:45

Default Water Fording System

1). I have a 1967 M38A1CDN2 that has the large water fording pull lever mounted on the dash, below and to the right of the steering column. There is nothing attached to it on its rear side. Does anyone have a diagram, or the instructions including a parts list, on how to restore it to correct working condition?
2). Is there a place that sells/has the small metal depot overhaul tags that went on the carb, fuel pump, distributer or the engine ?

Richard Mix Jr.
1967 M38A1CDN2
7105 96879
CFR 67-07832
# 133 built
Old 10-04-17, 14:27

Default Fording handle

just for a info point most were disconnected and cut so the troops could not play with them , also the valves were clamp in the position for normal operation of the vehicle, if the valve is used for any length of time you will have oil coming out of every place you can think of on the engine, so bottom line DND cut them and or did the disconnect, on the tags we did not use the small tags as DOD did , normally it would be a rebuild tag from a contractor company that was doing the rebuilds for that item,
Old 11-04-17, 01:52

Frank,
thanks for the info on the water fording system, I guess that the best and safest way to restore the fording system is to leave it in the DND disconnected and cut condition it is now.
Old 11-04-17, 04:23
carrier mech

That is sound advice re the Fording system. I had a surplus Jeep engine that gave me nothing but trouble. Turned out the fording shutoff valve at the PCV valve had it's arm installed 90° out, so when it was wired shut, it actually closed off the pVC system. I caught the error on rebuild.
Old 11-04-17, 05:06

Richard.

Just a little food for thought.

Rob and Frank have very accurately described issues that can surface with the Fording Control valve system in the M-Series vehicles. The ones in my M37 and M38 had their valves wired open and the control handle/central wire core assemblies disconnected from the valves and pulled right out of the dash. Just the outer wire looms left in place.

I personally prefer to have as much original equipment working on a vehicle as possible. What tipped the scale for me in favour of restoring this particular system on both vehicles was the realization I was going to be the sole operator of the vehicles. They were not going to be exposed to the potential risks of many and varied hands, looking for something to play with while driving.

The fording cables were very easy to find in these parts at one time, selling NOS for $1.99 Cdn.

Another M-Series system that saw a lot of deactivation up here was the dash mounted fuel primer pumps which were often still in place but had their lines crimped shut behind the dash. Not sure why they became an issue.

David
Old 11-04-17, 15:41
carrier mech

The primer pump was handy, but there were perceived problems with operators overusing it, or trying to use it while the vehicle was running. Both were fiction in my mind. It was still hooked up on my first M37, and was handy when starting the vehicle after running out of fuel. So was the primer lever on the side of the fuel pumps.

Another thing that was commonly disconnected were the ether start bottles on the MLVW. Kind of a shame because they worked well. There were mechanics who thought the drivers would use the bottle while running for a supercharge, but that was of course nonsense since the solenoid only worked while the starter motor was engaged, and it only allowed a predetermined amount of ether to go into the manifold.

The other thing that was commonly disconnected on the SMP fleet was the mico brake. They were almost always disconnected on the old deuce, and that continued on to the (new) MLVW. There was nothing wrong with them, as long as an operator did not try and use it for a long term park brake. It was meant for a temporary brake for something like winching.

All of these things worked fine, and really did not need to be disconnected. On a single owner vehicle, there certainly would be no issues.
Old 11-04-17, 22:39

Rob,
I have a empty hole about 3 inches to the left of the power switch, about 3/8 inch diameter in size. Is this where the dash mounted primer pump hand lever was attached on the dash? My fuel pump does have the primer lever on it...is this something that that would be an ok item to reconnect, as you said above?
Old 12-04-17, 00:17
carrier mech

That would have been for the Dole primer pump. It picked fuel up from the main fuel line and injected it into the intake manifold (in the case of the M38A1: the head).

The primer lever on the pump usually works. Some pumps had the arm removed during rebuild, but there is nothing wrong with having it. Most guys don't know they are even there. Saves a lot of cranking after the vehicle has been sitting for an extended period, or if you ran out of fuel.
Old 13-04-17, 06:17

Rob,
I just ordered all 4 of the Canadian CDN2/3 manuals from Brian Ashbury..should be here sometime next week. I'll look in them to see what parts are needed to hook the hand pump primer back up on my jeep. Is there a supplier, that you know of, that might have the complete kit available?? Thanks