MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 01-07-04, 04:28
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default New Registrations

Given today's adventures, for the time being anyway, all new registrations will have to be approved by the staff at MLU before being activated.

If you would like to register for MLU, please use your REAL NAME, and a NON-HOTMAIL EMAIL ADDRESS. Catchy internet aliases designed to hide your identity will NOT be accepted for registration, nor will HOTMAIL addresses. With regards the latter, you may choose to hide your email from the membership at large, so this should not be a problem.

Acceptance will also be aided by brief notes from you on your profile, indicating where you're from and your relevant (to this forum) interests.

There will be no appeal on these points.

You may email me for clarification if you wish.
Old 01-07-04, 06:01
In Vino Veritas

Default Server ...

...have a brain seizure?
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 06-07-04, 14:12

Default Re: New Registrations

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
If you would like to register for MLU, please use your REAL NAME, and a NON-HOTMAIL EMAIL ADDRESS. Catchy internet aliases designed to hide your identity will NOT be accepted for registration, nor will HOTMAIL addresses. With regards the latter, you may choose to hide your email from the membership at large, so this should not be a problem.

Acceptance will also be aided by brief notes from you on your profile, indicating where you're from and your relevant (to this forum) interests.

I reiterate that ALL new registrations must contain at least your first name (preferably both), otherwise they will not be approved for posting. We would strongly advise you to include a few details of why you wish to be a part of our community, as well. You may do that in the 'Interests' and 'Location' categories.

This will help us determine whether you belong here. Sory for the inconvenience, but recent experience has taught us to proceed with care in these matters.

Thank you.

THE MANAGEMENT
Old 23-04-07, 16:00
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: New Registrations

Quote:
If you would like to register for MLU, please use your REAL NAME, ........ Catchy internet aliases designed to hide your identity will NOT be accepted for registration, nor will HOTMAIL addresses.

You may email me for clarification if you wish.
Some still seem to be sneaking through the approval processes somehow.
If you wish to keep a "Catchy internet alias", perhaps because you've already established an identity on another forum or E-bay, etc, it is still a simple courtesy to identify your self by using a Signature at the bottom in the text of your posts, or by the use of the Custom User Text (This is the title that appears beneath your Identity on your posts. For most people it is initially set as "Junior Member"). You can set these features when you register, or amend them at any time by clicking "User CP" at the top of the page, then clicking "Edit Profile".
It is a common courtesy to other users to introduce yourself, and for other users to have a name to address you by in the course of discussion. If exposing your name somehow embarasses you, please consider this CONDITION OF REGISTRATION before you join MLU.
Old 23-04-07, 16:57

Default Re: Re: New Registrations

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Some still seem to be sneaking through the approval processes somehow.
For some, background info available to Admins are given the benefit of the doubt, but far more than you realize are zapped EVERY DAY. Between Karmen, Keith and I it's damned near a full-time job.
Old 01-11-07, 12:34

Default HOTMAIL

Please note:--

Previously, we have not accepted Hotmail registrants except by personal petition, simply because historically, Hotmail has been the source of a great many spammers.

This doesn't seem to be the case anymore, and I have removed that restriction.

Having done so, I would strongly urge potential new members using Hotmail to apply for membership here with their own names as usernames rather than a made-up moniker; not only is it simply polite, it will minimize the chances of being rejected out-of-hand, given the number of spammers we zap every day.

Thanks,

THE MANAGEMENT
Old 08-11-07, 11:05
Paul

Default Another for zapping

I see another sneaky b""""" has broken through.

No doubt you are mounting a counter attack as I write

Hoffman_Markiz

Paul.
Old 08-11-07, 21:58

Default 246 To-date

That's separate IP addresses banned. Numerous spammers have tried numerous times to gain entry; that actual number of attempts to evade us is probably well over 300, and that's only in the last year and a half, really...

Supposedly the new software has improved tools to ferret out these.... ferrets. Me, I believe in 12 gauge shotguns with 18-in barrels and the good ol' .45... there's something really satisfying about the noise it makes when you rack the slide... kind of like... finality.
Old 30-01-08, 13:22

Default Re: 246 To-date

Quote:
That's separate IP addresses banned. Numerous spammers have tried numerous times to gain entry; that actual number of attempts to evade us is probably well over 300, and that's only in the last year and a half, really...

Supposedly the new software has improved tools to ferret out these.... ferrets. Me, I believe in 12 gauge shotguns with 18-in barrels and the good ol' .45... there's something really satisfying about the noise it makes when you rack the slide... kind of like... finality.
Cross this off... we're well over 400 banned IP addresses now, with a good dozen added yesterday alone. Four so far today and I've only been online since 0600 EST! I hate to think of how many are bombarding the application with attempts to get through, only to discover the IP or IP bloc they're using is already banned.

Please can I kill them now??!!
Old 30-01-08, 19:00
Paul

Default New Registrations

Geoff,

I know you are OC etc., but I think you are quite a way down the line for killing them.

Mind you, if they are split into groups, there is more than likely enough for everyone to employ their own methods of slow death

Paul.
Old 20-01-10, 14:57

Thumbs up Thanks for your help! Geoff

No problems with the registration now.
Old 20-01-10, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel D View Post
No problems with the registration now.
Good stuff, Michel!

I'll remind everyone that using your real name helps expedite the registration process (we manually vet all new users before approval) and that gmail addresses are currently banned due to the volume of spammers using same. You can get around the latter by emailing me directly, but use a real name and tell me why you wish to join MLU. We will not tolerate spam in any way, shape or form.
Old 22-02-10, 04:19
Dale

I have no problem with anybody knowing my name...which is Dale Lenting...but I have always used mk1rceme for every forum I have joined. I recently switched to gmail as well since all I get is spam on hotmail. Looks like I'm at two strikes so far concerning registration requirements. Anyone who knows me could vouch that I'm not a trouble maker...well, at least not online.
Old 22-02-10, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk1rceme View Post
I have no problem with anybody knowing my name...which is Dale Lenting...but I have always used mk1rceme for every forum I have joined. I recently switched to gmail as well since all I get is spam on hotmail. Looks like I'm at two strikes so far concerning registration requirements. Anyone who knows me could vouch that I'm not a trouble maker...well, at least not online.
Hell Dale, you're in here now, ain'tcha?