Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 22-05-13, 21:32

Default Text removed as information is no longer current

Text removed as information is no longer current

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 23-10-17 at 00:17. Reason: Typo, as usual
Old 22-05-13, 23:02
carrier mech

The rivetting tool is a chunk of 1" thick plate with an opening in it and a screw through the top. It is like a heavy duty C clamp. You held it in place, tightened the screw, and it rivetted the two pieces together.

If you were to have the backing plate off the vehicle, you could easily do it on an anvil or a vice. Alternatively, you could possibly tack weld it in situ with a mig welder.

The silver antisieze was the solution to the siezed adjusters on the Iltis. Use sparingly, because it doesn't belong on the drum surface.
Old 23-05-13, 05:08
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
Rob, you are the best.........
That's what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
I had a small box of Iltis tools from auction, and I could never figure out what that C Clamp was for. Excellent description, and I just tried it out.

I am working on a rear hub at the moment. It looks like I will have to remove the lower ball joint in order to access both of the rears of the adjusters. There was also an Iltis lower ball joint puller in the box, so I finally get to try it out as well. The brake adjuster repair kit pinion NSN 2530218969380 has several parts, and I am not sure as to the order they go in.

The kit contains:
-Adjuster star
-Cap head bolt with centre dimple at end.
-Fibre washer (diameter 22 mm)
-Steel washer (thick concave) (diameter 20 mm)
-Steel washer (thin, saddle shape) (diameter 18 mm)

I just looked at the document Specifications for Rebuilding Hub and Drum Assembly and they refer to the special tool as the riveting machine (AMB 101C).

I will take some pictures of the special tool. The one that I seems to have been well used. The star end is very worn, and may just spin around. Do you hold the bolt head on the back side with a wrench, or just let it spin around?

Cheers!
Stuart
The star end (nor the bolt) will not spin once pressure is on it. They did tend to mush up the round part of the tool fairly frequently.

Brakes were a chronic problem with the Iltis. If it wasn't siezed adjusters, then it was worn shoes. Actually, the shoes usually were not worn that often, it was just that the Iltis had a comparatively thin shoe compared to other military vehicles to start with. I saw many Iltis grounded by overeager mechanics, for thin shoes, when they could easily have stayed in service for months waiting for the parts to show up. The bonded shoes we got towards the end were an improvement. The guys weren't so quick to VOR the vehicle when there were not rivet heads getting close to the lining surface.
Old 07-06-13, 06:34
Dave Good

Thanks for the pictures and info as I always wondered what that tool was for as the manuals were poor on the description of there use