MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 15-07-22, 23:54

Default Entac missile box

This is a bit of a dead end but anyway here goes.

I have a like for well fabricated items. A while ago I was able through the good graces of a number of folks in our hobby to acquire this box. The graphics on the outside are just so eye catching and as a secure storage box,able to deny entry to mice it had a great amount of appeal.

The box is made of an early fibre glass. The construction is superb in every detail and the design compliments that. The latches are a cam over centre, stainless materials and a quite fine spring loaded catch to prevent it opening by chance. There is a screw thread type pressure equilisation device at one end. The lid had a nice rubber seal in a groove that seat positively.

The box has handles that fall right to hand, the top has square shallow lugs reminiscent of Lego and the underside has depressions that mate. This allows great storage. one wonders if they can be turned through 90 degrees to lock together different rows.

I had a mind that it would store items for me and now it houses a very nice post war cam net I was able to buy and collect from Perry Kitson.

I thought I would document it and share for others to enjoy. If anyone has an Entac missile display and wants this I would by negotiation be happy to let them acquire it to complete such a display. In the meantime I have a very well made box.
Attached Thumbnails
entac box 01.jpg   entac box 02.jpeg   entac box 03.jpg   entac box 04.jpg   entac box 05.jpg  

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 15-07-22, 23:55

Last pictures
Attached Thumbnails
entac box 06.jpg   entac box 07.jpeg  

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 16-07-22, 01:34

Robin,

Library and Archives Canada has a nice series of colour images of ENTAC firing in Borden which includes Jeep-launched missiles.

See this link: https://recherche-collection-search....aSource=Images
Old 16-07-22, 02:45

Default ENTAC Missile Box

That is quite a rare box. I have one in my collection as the ENTAC was one of the Canadian infantry's anti-tank weapons systems during the 1960s and early 1970s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6943 copy.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	708.2 KB
ID:	129445
Old 16-07-22, 03:17

Default ENTAC in Australia

Nice crates.

According to a former user from the RAAC, the safest place to be when an ENTAC was fired was on the target.

I wrote an article about ENTAC about 20 years ago which may be of interest. It was first published in the Australian Army's monthly magazine 'Army'. Canada even gets a mention.

ENTAC IN AUSTRALIAN SERVICE

The Australia Army Buys its first ATGW

By Mike Cecil

Although the pioneering research and development undertaken by the Australian Department of Supply during the 1950s placed Australia amongst the world leaders in anti-tank guided weapons, the only sales were to Britain in the form of the heavy anti-tank missile, “Malkara”. (see Army Magazine issue ‘31) Other, smaller ATGW, suitable for infantry use, had been under consideration and some development work had been done on a small missile called “Toolondo”, but the advantage was never exploited, and the project was eventually shelved. The Australian Army had not shown much enthusiasm during the development phases for either large or small ATGW, preferring to simply keep an eye on developments.

By the early 1960s, however, the Army recognised an urgent need for an ATGW capability for both infantry and armoured corps, and subsequently released War Equipment Policy Statements (WEPS) Numbers 1 and 9 which detailed the requirements for each application. Malkara had already been rejected because such a large missile would not be suitable in South East Asia, which was considered to be the most likely operational environment. The Army therefore looked to overseas sources, and during 1961, initiated a study of available information on ATGWs which might prove to be suitable. There were several contenders, either in production or completing development trials, and most with rather colourful names. These were the AB Bofors “Bantam” from Sweden, “Mosquito” built by Contraves-Italiana SpA, the Italian subsidiary of the Swiss company Oerlikon-Contraves AG, the Messerschmitt-Bolkow-Blohm GmbH “Cobra” from Germany, Vickers-Armstrong’s (later British Aerospace) “Vigilant” from the United Kingdom, and Nord Aviation’s “ENTAC T581” and “SS-11” ATGW systems from France.

Vickers-Armstrong were quick to react to enquiries, arranging a demonstration firing in Australia of their “Vigilant” ATGW. This took place under adverse weather conditions at the Green Hills Range, Holsworthy, on 24 August 1961, when fourteen missiles were fired against stationary targets at various distances. Although additional information was collected about Vigilant during the ensuing months, the poor performance of the missile on this occasion - it scored only eight hits from the fourteen fired - appears to have cast a shadow during future considerations.

The evaluation on paper, together with several first hand reports by Australian Military personnel who attended demonstration firings of the likely contenders, quickly narrowed the field, and by April 1962, “Cobra” and “Bantam” had been deleted, to be soon followed in June by “Vigilant” and “Mosquito”. This left only Nord Aviation’s two systems, the ENTAC T581 and the SS-11.

Given the perceived operational urgency of equipping infantry and armoured units, a recommendation was made to procure the ENTAC system for operational use by the infantry and for training by armoured units, while the SS-11 system should be procured for operational use by armoured units, provided both systems satisfactorily completed a series of environmental tests.

This recommendation was partially accepted by the War Equipment Policy Committee: a quantity of about 150 ENTAC T581 missiles would be purchased for user and evaluation trials, but the SS-11 procurement was rejected on the basis that in view of the likely threat, the 106 mm recoilless rifle M40A1 would be adequate for countering enemy armour at longer ranges.

With the likely operational environment being South East Asia, there was particular interest in performance data under tropical and rough handling conditions. Various methods of obtaining this information were considered, but the most cost effective method was to have the manufacturer conduct the series of environmental trials in France, to Australian standards and under Australian supervision. These included drop and bump tests, vibration tests, hot-dry and solar radiation tests, and simulated tropical exposure tests, and were carried out over several months during 1963.

With the testing or adoption of both the ENTAC T581 and SS-11 by several countries, more extensive trials and testing reports progressively became available. While some of the conclusions may be seen as more nationalistic than objective (the Italian Army tests, for example, favoured their locally built “Mosquito” ATGW) they provided considerable firing and penetration data. Moreover, the US Army had introduced ENTAC into service during 1961, to be followed shortly after by Canada. As co-signatories of the ABCA agreement, their user information was also available, together with development work being carried out on various vehicle mountings.

This wealth of information, combined with local financial considerations, resulted in the decision in June 1963, to introduce ENTAC T581 into service use with the Australian Army without waiting for the final results from local trials or the environmental testing.

The ENTAC T581 ATGW derived its name from the contraction of the French description Engin Teleguide Anti-Char, and consisted of a shaped charge warhead containing 1.9 kg (4.2 pounds) of High Explosive mounted by a bayonet-type connection to a gyroscopically stabilized, four winged missile with a solid propellant motor. The firing impulse detonated a small charge in the head of an electrolyte container housed in the launcher, which forced the electrolyte into the battery in the missile. This then energised and fired the missile motor, the whole sequence taking about 1 second. As the missile left the launcher, the gyroscope was run up by a cord attached to the launcher box, and once the missile was clear, the missile rotated 45 degrees until the wings were oriented vertical and horizontal.

The missile was guided in flight by the operator, who would view the target through an optical sight while using a joystick controller to issue guidance commands to the spoilers on the trailing edges of the missile’s wings. These commands were transmitted to the missile as electrical pulses along two wires, spooled out from the body of the missile during flight.

A local trials and evaluation team was assembled from infantry and armoured Corps personnel in mid-1964. Based at the Armoured Centre, Puckapunyal, the team fired over ninety one missiles from ground mounts between 6 July and 21 August 1964. Further engineering evaluation firings were also undertaken at Woomera.

In the meantime, ADE were tasked with developing various vehicle mounts for ENTAC, including short wheel base Land Rover and M274 Mechanical Mule mounts for Infantry use, and a mounting for the Ferret Scout Car Mk.2 for use by armoured corps units. Much information on vehicle mounts was obtained from overseas, including those developed in Canada for the Ferret Mk.1, in the USA for the M151 MUTT and M113 APC, and in France for the Hotchkiss Jeep.

The M274 Mechanical Mule version was primarily abandoned when initial calculations showed the total weight of the system, including crew and stores, to be far in excess of the M274’s carrying capacity. The short wheel base Land Rover version for infantry use was also abandoned following an Army re-organization. However, since a French Hotchkiss Jeep ENTAC mounting had already been purchased, it was decided to use the mount in a single prototype long wheel base Land Rover. The vehicle was to be used for training at the Armoured Centre.

A mock-up mounting for the Ferret Scout car was completed by ADE before the end of 1964, and a trials version mounting a missile launcher on each side of the turret, together with spare missiles in transit cases fixed to the rear mudguards, was completed in 1965. ENTAC was also fired from an M113A1 during the late 1960s, as an unofficial trial by the Armoured Centre’s Regimental Technical Adjutant.

Although in use in Australia from 1964, the ENTAC T581 was not officially taken into service until 5 December 1967. It remained in service until superseded by the MILAN ATGW in 1982, and was eventually declared obsolete on 7 February 1985. The user opinions of ENTAC are varied, but were summed up recently by an experienced armoured corps Warrant Officer when he stated that “... the safest place with ENTAC was standing on the target!”

Technical Data

ENTAC T581

Manufacturer: Nord Aviation,
Chatillon-Sous-Bagneux, Hauts-de-Seine, France.
Variants in Aust Service: (1) Guided Missile, Anti-Tank;
(2) Guided Missile, Anti-Tank with Inert Head (Practice Missile);
(3) Sectioned Instructional Missile.
Warhead Type: High Explosive, shaped charge of 150/50 RDX TNT
Warhead Diameter: 130 mm
Explosive Weight: 1.9 kg (4.2 pounds)
Warhead Total Weight: 3.95 kg (8.7 pounds)
Warhead Fuze: Electric nose inertia fuze with base exploder
Minimum Arming Distance: 250 metres (when arming plug connects nose to exploder)
Missile Type: Gyroscopically stabilized, wire guided, solid propellant motor
Weight: 12.24 kg (27 pounds)
Length: 800 mm (31.5 inches)
Diameter: 150 mm (5.9 inches)
Wingspan: 376 mm (14.8 inches)
Range: 400 metres minimum to 2000 metres maximum
Velocity: 85.34 metres per second (280 feet per second)
Time of Flight: 24 seconds to 2000 metres
Penetration: 650 mm of 30 ton per square inch steel armour
(60 mm entry hole and 30 mm exit hole)
Maximum Impact Angle: 15 degrees
Operator Separation: Up to 110 metres from launcher
Mountings: Ground or vehicle

Old 16-07-22, 03:47

Default Ferret with ENTAC

Interestingly, only one Canadian Ferret CFR 54-82587, was ever fitted with ENTAC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FV 701 Ferret Mk 1 with ENTAC Missiles 82587.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	129448

Last edited by Ed Storey; 16-07-22 at 11:50.
Old 16-07-22, 05:17
carrier mech

When I went to Borden in 1981, you were allowed to drive in portions of the training area for recreational purposes. I remember stopping my M38 Jeep at one point to divest myself of some liquids, and there sitting next to the Jeep was the back half of an Entac missile. I resisted the urge to toss it into the Jeep, but we did move it into the brush-line. I found it again when I went back to Borden for my TQ5s in the mid 80s.