MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 20-05-11, 01:27

Default FBE MkIII wreckage found

Hello MLU members.
I am a diver who has recently discovered some FBE MkIII equipment submerged in Cultus lake. Basically, the two 20' folding boats and four connecting load bearing girder unit. The wreckage is intact (but upsidedown) and remarkably well preserved though the bows and sterns of both boats are sprung and much of the ropework is rotted away. There are alphanumeric markings on the sides of the boats that I will try to make note of on my next dive. No photo's at the moment unfortunately as my camera flooded. In the general vicinity underwater I have also located a stack of 4-5 Bailey bridge panels.

I know that Cultus has been used for rafting/bridging exercises since aprox. 1942 and am in the process of contacting the local CFB Chilliwack Engineers Historical Society for archival information but thought I'd ask here as well. My overall plan is to investigate the surrounding area for more articles, try to trace the story of the sinking and then turn the exact location and any artifacts over to the local military historical society (if they want them).

I am looking for help with the following information:

1. Production and/or employment end dates for MkIII FBE's, to narrow the possible time of use down.

2. Any information on the loss of FBE's in Cultus lake.

Also, I found this tool on the lakebed near the wreckage and am curious what it was used for. My guess is that it was either a Bullpin to hold the loadbearing girders while connecting them or it was a pin that held the gunnels to the spreader frame. It is a steel pin with a brass handle 8 1/2" long in total. The top is slotted with a smaller dowel that I believe allowed it to be tethered to something.

Thanks all in advance for any help

Dale.

Last edited by Dale Carlisle; 20-05-11 at 02:31.
Old 20-05-11, 02:44

Here is a link to a (very poor quality) video clip I took of some Bailey bridge panels in the general vicinity of the FBE. I know it's bad but it does give an idea of the bottom conditions and light levels. Actually, these are more shallow and the vis is better than that experienced on the FBE dives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5sj_hNCEv0
Old 20-05-11, 02:54
MUTT Guy

I used to be the Bridging Equipment Storeman for 2 Combat Engineer Regiment and then later on, the Engineer School (between 1998 and 2002).

While all of the FBE, LFR, APR/APB, etc were long out of use during my tenure, some of that kit was still sitting around at both Brennan and Swan Lake. There are still some Modules sitting on Trailers at Lauvina Woods here in Gagetown.

There was an urban legend about an "old Jeep that went down" in Cultus Lake, not far from the old Boat House. I can't say i've ever heard about the FBE you found.

I'll ask some of the older Combat Divers if that was put there as a Training Aid for the Bubble Heads, or if it truly sunk during training and was abandoned. I'm leaning toward the first, as the Divers have pulled crazier things than that up from the bottom. Either way, its a great find.

As far as the Pin is concerned, my guess (and its completely a guess) is that it was a Release Pin that was pulled with a Rope to release the FBE modules from the Trucks or Trailers into the Drink....

On a side note. We actually managed to get a "Rotorque" BBE running while I worked at Swan Lake. We had it on the water for a Summer although i'm not sure its status now.

You may want to contact the CF School of Military Engineering here in Gagetown to discuss your find: CME.research@sympatico.ca

Scotty
Old 20-05-11, 12:56
Terry Warner

I may be speaking to a member of the Canadian Military Engineering Association executive today. There is a chapter of retired sappers in Chilliwack. They have been most active lately in repairing vandalism to the monument near the old base. I will post or PM contact information as it becomes avaiable. Alternatively, prowl www.cmea-agmc.ca.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 21-05-11, 00:15

Thanks for the links guys. I've got the number for a Jim H. in Chilliwack, ex sapper connected to the engineering historical society and the museum is open tomorrow from 9-3 (I hope on a long weekend?) so perhaps I will have something to report after that.
The wreckage site is across the lake from the bridging area and I have a pet theory as to what might have occurred (will be interesting to see how far off my CSI skills are). My idea is that the MkIII, loaded with those bailey bridge panels, broke loose from the bridging area in a storm, drifted across the lake, began swamping and wallowed on one side, dumped the panels and then sank outright, coming to rest upsidedown nearby. The panels are stacked on top of each other, which otherwise would seem odd if they were just tossed in, and the two sites are about 50-100 yards apart.

Time will tell.
Old 21-05-11, 05:47
Terry Warner

So I had a quick word with the Executive VP of the engineer association today. I told him about the find. It turns out the combat divers have an association of their own, and they are having an anniversary reunion this year. He thought it would be in Chilliwack. Your expert is Doug Corman. If he didn't know the stories, he'll know who does. I'll edit this thread if I get any contact information

So, there you have it.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-05-11, 02:17

Will look for the contact name when you link it Terry.

I visited the CFB engineering historical museum on saturday and even became a memeber (allowing access to the library). Met with some retired sappers and discussed the find. No one could recall the loss in particular but I gained a better idea of the lay of the land of some sites used for bridging/rafting exercises. Most interesting was the information that the area I found the boats and Bailey panels in was an original bridging site back in the 1940's so the location makes more sense than I originally thought. I am returning to the museum tomorrow to look at more books and will hopefully diving the site on thursday wherin I will record the ID info listed on the side of the boats.
Old 25-05-11, 04:10

Default Boats

I was in Contact with Don Thomas former Curator of the CFB Chilliwack Museam He Might be able to give you a hand.
I will P.M you his address
Jeff
Old 25-05-11, 10:45

Thank you Jeff.
Old 27-05-11, 17:15

Dove the site again today and made note of writing on the sides of the boats.
Each boat has a number; 203 and 91.
Both boats also have the following:

2E/EO 1210
Folding Boat Mk3
4 ESD
Jan 55
RCSME

I figure Jan 55 to be the manufacture date and RCSME to be Royal Canadian School of Military Engineering. I think 4ESD is 4 Engineer Supply Depot. Any ideas as to the rest?

Also found 3 more pins in the silt and solved the question of their function. They hold the load bearing girders to the boats. I saw one in position on the boats. They were connected to the boat by small link chain.

Also found an anchor but am unsure if it is part of the original wreckage or a later snag. Does anyone remember the military using this type of anchor. It is 9.9 lb's and made in Canada.

Last edited by Dale Carlisle; 28-05-11 at 10:11.