MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 07-06-08, 03:20
Derek Heuring

Default Armoured bulldozer, Juno Beach

In honour and commemoration of the valiant lads that landed on D day here is, I believe, a previously unseen photo of the Highland Light Infantry landing near Bernieres-sur-Mere. There is a tremendous amount of personnel, kit, and equipment on the beach, some of which is being pulled off by one of our armoured bulldozers. I'm not sure what is on the trailer being pulled by the dozer, anyone have any ideas?

CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
Canada H.L.I. on LCI(L) 306 Bernieres sur mere.jpg   Canada copy H.L.I. on LCI(L) 306 Bernieres sur mere.jpg  
Old 07-06-08, 10:56

Hi Derek

The load on the trailer could be gas cylinders for barrage ballons, they used these as a deterrant against low flying aircraft but in the end they proved to be good aiming points for German gunners. Its unusual to see cylinders on this type of trailer but that said every item of equipment was used to the full in the first few months of the landings
cheers
Les
Old 09-06-08, 14:03

I too have pondered over this, and other similar trailer loads, seen on D Day photos.
Les: hadn't thought of baloon cylenders before but I thought that the initial baloons were the smaller ones taken (ready inflated) from the landing craft which flew them on passage. have not seen any referance to vehicles/trailers associated with the initial BB units
Sapper: how about rolls of PBS as mentioned recently in relation to the possible Tar Boiler.

At this site http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/gold...page=69landing there are some fairly good landing tables for Gold Beach - these include 6 "Freuhauf" trailers landed for 235 Fld Pk Co and 3 of same plus 2 "20 Ton low loading Trlr" for 51 Mech Equip Sect but no mention of what any carried

See also this picture which I posted some time ago http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...4621#post64621 this trailer appears to be carrying some sort of trackway ?

Noel
Old 09-06-08, 16:54
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Burgess View Post
I too have pondered over this, and other similar trailer loads, seen on D Day photos.
Les: hadn't thought of baloon cylenders before but I thought that the initial baloons were the smaller ones taken (ready inflated) from the landing craft which flew them on passage. have not seen any referance to vehicles/trailers associated with the initial BB units
Sapper: how about rolls of PBS as mentioned recently in relation to the possible Tar Boiler.

At this site http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/gold...page=69landing there are some fairly good landing tables for Gold Beach - these include 6 "Freuhauf" trailers landed for 235 Fld Pk Co and 3 of same plus 2 "20 Ton low loading Trlr" for 51 Mech Equip Sect but no mention of what any carried
I don't think its PBS as all the pictures I have seen show it in rolls a few feet wide in order to fit through the "Stamp Licker". I'm leary of the balloon gas cylinder theory as most barrage balloons were ship mounted so disembarking the cylinders would be counter-productive. I know some balloons were tethered ashore but wouldn't the service life of the gas inside exceed their time ashore at Normandy, thus negating any need to replenish it? Just my thought, gentlemen.

Quote:
See also this picture which I posted some time ago http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...4621#post64621 this trailer appears to be carrying some sort of trackway ?
The rolls in the front of the trailer look very similar to ARC matting which was used extensively by U.S. forces in the Pacific. I'm unaware of it's use by Commonwealth troops. It's difficult to identify the rest of the load on the trailer.
Old 11-06-08, 00:41

Default armoured bulldozer, juno Beach

Having attended Cardington on several occassions and watched demonstrations of the result of mishandling cylinders of Oxy and hydrogen there is no way hydrogen cylinders would be transported like that. As noted initial balloons were the mini variety which came ashore inflated. I have pictures of the MT used by the Balloon sqns that eventually landed and both the winches and cylinders were on fordson sussex 38-39 model. what is interesting is in late 1944 these Fordson's photographed on the Belgium Dutch border still bore their Middlesex CC reg numbers without a sign of an RAF number. Sqn support vehicles were Bedford QL and CMP 30cwt.
my money is on trackway matting being carried.
TED
Old 11-06-08, 11:08

You are probably right Ted, as the photo is very fuzzy its not easy to see the load clearly. Mine was only a suggestion but the trailer and load did not seem to link, how about posting some of the pictures you mentioned
cheers
Les
Old 11-06-08, 18:28

Default armoured bulldozer, Juno beach

Hi Les I will post them one at a time . In the first picture the full cabs of 2 hydrogen carriers can be seen, to the left part of a winch is visible. To the the right part of a wheel and wing.
It is not possible to see all 4 in one shot but once you see all the shots you will get the idea.
The left hand winch has the type number on its nearside cab door.
TAF 85 is clear on them all one at least also bears a wing marking which I think is 150 wing. No evidence at all of an RAF number just the CC reg numbers. I have had to compress the pictures to get them to attach but from the original pictures the 2 visible reg numbers are PMG 409 and PHX 802
I have also found another shot taken in 1942 of a Balloon winch again devoid of a RAF number. I have numerous other Fordson shots I will have to dig for when I have time.
TED
Attached Thumbnails
965 sqn 1 small.jpg  
Old 11-06-08, 18:37

Default armoured bulldozer, Juno Beach

In this shot more of the left hand winch truck is visible
Attached Thumbnails
965sqn  2 small.JPG  
Old 11-06-08, 18:41

In this shot the cage of the right hand winch is just visible. The RAF number on the CMP is either RAF 16984 or 18984 wether that is the complete number is impossible to tell, The 2 TAF roundals on the tilts of the CMPs have all but vanished leaving a lovely white aiming mark !!
Attached Thumbnails
965 sqn  3 small.JPG  
Old 14-06-08, 15:31

Thanks for posting the photos Ted, now as you appear to be our man with knowledge on cylinders can you identify this Ford WOT 1 the cylinders seem to small for ballons but that said could this be one of the items mentioned that landed on D Day or could it be some form of fire and crash vehicle. I know this is not the thread to pursue this subject but as it is running in theme i am sure Derek will have no objections, the reason i need the info is a good friend and myself have beencarrying out a study on the Fords so he can draw a series of 1/76 scale plans on all the models some of which have been completed. Whilst here i am also having problems identifying the second photo, suggestions have been some form of photographic body or aircraft engine heating unit whilst we have enough to complete the drawing its not much use unless we can get I.D
cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
gl1.jpg   gl8.jpg  
Old 14-06-08, 20:54

Hi Les the left hand WOT1 is a fire crash tender. behind the cab is a wooden box arrangement that appears to go full width, I believe the outer portion at both sides was open and contained several 2 gallon extinguishers. the inner portion of the box had a hinge lid and this doubled as a crew seat. Behind the box can be seen a small cylindrical object; This contains an Asbestos blanket.
then there is a row of 3 30 gallon froth extinquishers these are very similar to those mounted on 2 iron cart wheels and positioned on POL points and outside hangers. They were also mounted on the early 1930s crash trucks. Each extinquisher unit fed a hose , the diameter of the hose would be similar to a hose reel on a modern day fire truck, the hose could terminate in a small applicator branch pipe or be attached to a lance which at its discharge end had a 90 degree bend the idea was it could be held over the burning item . The Karrier Bantam carried one of these extinquishers and on the picture you have posted on the MTD site you can clearly see the lance and the 90degree end ; One of the applicator ends can be seen in the WOT1 picture you have posted. adjacent to the asbestos blanket.
These ad hoc tenders appeared on both the 1938 and 39 versions of the Sussex and of course the WOT1 you picture. Duxford had a 1938 version at the outbreak of war. Cowley had a 1939 version. Nuffield's Cowley site was joint MAP and RAF, rebuilding aircraft. There was at least one other similar one on a forward control Crossley IGL7 6x4 tender in Iraq circa 1937. THe Bantam you picture is described as a domestic tender in all the APs not a fire crash. , it carried hose and standpipes in the box behind the cab and normally towed a trailer pump, old sweats I quizzed many years ago told me the froth ext was to enable them to respond to a POL or hanger incident. If the airfield was not flying at the time only the domestic truck would be manned. So the Bantam had to be a bit of a jack of all trades !!
Luckily in my early days in the RAF lots of the SNCOs and WOS had seen WW2 service so I was able to ask question of guys had been there seen it done !!
Turning to the bigger beast the side panel looks like an electrical control board the front equipment looks like an air heater my money is on a parachute drying tender ! Good to touch base with you Les I have been an RAF/AFS /NFS /CD vehicle anorak since birth, having served 39 years in the RAF you can guess I knew pontious pilot !! I too am a 1/76 model maker, working on a pair of series 1 ACRVs at the moment one SWB the other a 107inch.
regards TED
Old 14-06-08, 21:30

LES not the best picture but here's one i prepared earlier, scratch built i turned the extinquishers on a lathe at work !!
Attached Thumbnails
scot 008.jpg  
Old 29-09-08, 04:25

Default Armoured Bulldozer

I recently found this 1945 article.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...45-BigPush.jpg
Old 02-10-08, 03:56
Derek Heuring

Default Armoured Bulldozer pic.

Thank you very much Ed for an excellent and informative addition to the Armoured Bulldozer thread...I especially enjoyed the comment about RCE's charging for shaves with razors attached to the scraper! I've recently discovered another pic of an Armoured Bulldozer taken on Juno beach on or soon after DDay. A veritable beehive of activity in this pic.

CHIMO! Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
Juno Beach M4 and Armoured bulldozer.jpg  
Old 21-01-09, 21:58

Default Trailer Load

Just found this picture from a modelling forum here I think this trailer may be carrying somerfield track on the bottom and another type of temporary surface above it [cant remember the name for the wood strips wired together]. Later in the thread we are told the vehicle is - 50 Mech Equipt Sect - 3 men - 1 D10 + Trailer Jahn(?)
What do you think guys? Noel
Attached Thumbnails
LC with trailer.jpg  
Old 22-01-09, 03:06
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Burgess I think this trailer may be carrying somerfield track on the bottom and another type of temporary surface above it [cant remember the name for the wood strips wired together
What do you think guys? Noel
Noel, I'm pretty sure the large load are Chespale fascines and Hessian mats, which were both used on Churchill AVREs and Bobbins during D Day. The loads carried by the Funnies would have to be replenished after being dropped, or, just as likely those mats and fascines came in handy anywhere there was loose sand or soil to be negotiated. The small rolls in the forefront of the picture are rolls of snow fence, something any good Canadian would be familiar with. Snow fence are Cedar slats wired together in rolls which would be temporarily installed upwind of a road, path or structure so as to get the snow to swirl and drift in the lee of the fence well away from other structures. It's also a light and handy way for infantry to cross soft or muddy ground. Derek.
Old 23-01-09, 17:00

Default Chespale

Thats it of course "Chestnut Paling" - split chestnut sapplings orginally, apparently as the war porogressed there was a shortage of chestnut saplings as with everything else.
I'm sure I have seen a picture of this [with the wire (snow fence)] used as a road surface over the sand - showing a light utility leaving the beaches on D+?.
On the "other" forum the picture is higher resolution and I'm sure that the "hessian" is interleaved with wire mesh.
The uses for this load are probably many - throw it in a hole, make a trak for wheeled vehicles, as Sapper says "reload" an AVRE or light a fire for a brew up

Noel
Old 14-02-09, 16:02
Derek Heuring

Default Snow Fence/Sand mat

I don't know the exact designation of the smaller rolls which I previously called Snow fence...there probably is a military term for it. Here are two pics from the desert showing a similar type of mat rolled up on the fenders of vehicles, ready for use. One difference is that the slats appear to be inside a double layer of canvas? which would probably provide better traction in sand.
Attached Thumbnails
LRDG and snow fence.jpg   Morris Commercial CS8 Spotter.jpg  
Old 18-02-09, 18:15

Default Chespale & Matting

Another post by me following from Wim's post of this site which shows amphibious tests etc in 1943. On the 3rd page, second down on left hand column is a clip showing (~I think) Chespale Trackway and on the same page, third down left and right are two clips showing the manufacture of "Hessian Wire Mat"
There's also some clips showing RE & RAF plant (scrapers/Graders Etc.) practising entry & exit from landing craft.