MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 28-07-10, 21:34
Helena

Default RCE-23rd Field Company

I'm looking for photographs of Sapper Leslie Joseph Roherty.He was killed September 26,1944 in one of the storm boats.He is my daughters great uncle.Any help would be so greatly appreciated.Thank you
Old 28-07-10, 22:47
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

"Dutch Connection", do you have a name? We're a pretty close-knit community here and we prefer to know whom we're speaking with...
Old 28-07-10, 23:20
MUTT Guy

As the direct decendant of 23rd Field Company RCE, 2 Combat Engineer Regiment has its entire main foyer dedicated to Operation Berlin, the mission you mentioned above involving the Arnhem rescue operation. There is a wealth of pictures and information on the Unit and the Operation. I cannot confirm if his specific photo would be there (been a few years since I was there last), but his name should be listed there if he was KIA during the Operation.

I'm not sure where you are located, but 2 Combat Engineer Regiment is located at CFB Petawawa (Home of the Warriors), Ontario. If you make arrangements in advance, i'm sure the Regimental Sergeant Major would make himself available to meet you and show you around, considering your relation to the fallen. The CFB Petawawa main switchboard is 613-687-5511. Just ask for the 2 CER Duty Center, and take it from there.

Scotty
Old 28-07-10, 23:43
Terry Warner

There is a recent book about the Market Garden / Arnheim / RCE connection. Some smarter person will chime in with the title and author's name. The author lives in Canada, and he would have the same or better access to as many sources as can be found.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 28-07-10, 23:45
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
As the direct decendant of 23rd Field Company RCE, 2 Combat Engineer Regiment has its entire main foyer dedicated to Operation Berlin, the mission you mentioned above involving the Arnhem rescue operation.

If you make arrangements in advance, i'm sure the Regimental Sergeant Major would make himself available to meet you and show you around, considering your relation to the fallen. The CFB Petawawa main switchboard is 613-687-5511. Just ask for the 2 CER Duty Center, and take it from there.

Scotty
There are a lot of Combat Engineers deployed and there are many issues for the rear party to deal with. If the RSM passes you to someone (maybe even the 'Regimental Grandfather' RSM (Retd) Storey), respect that he has bigger fish to fry.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 28-07-10, 23:58
Helena

My name is Helena.im 48 yrs old and i was born in holland. the sapper l'm looking for is my daughters great uncle and he was killed approx an hour from the town i lived in
Old 29-07-10, 01:44
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
There are a lot of Combat Engineers deployed and there are many issues for the rear party to deal with. If the RSM passes you to someone (maybe even the 'Regimental Grandfather' RSM (Retd) Storey), respect that he has bigger fish to fry.
Agreed which makes calling ahead very important. Knowing both the Commanding Officer and RSM personally, I'm certain they will accommodate, especially if in conjunction with "Nieder Rhine Days" which 2 CER celebrates annually.
Old 31-07-10, 04:30
RIP

Helena,
This book may be of interest to you. http://www.amazon.ca/Storm-Boat-King.../dp/1551251035
Clive
Old 02-08-10, 05:31
Helena

The name of that book keeps popping up.l'll definitely have to get it.Thanks Clive