MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 10-02-11, 03:24

Default 1942 Dodge 2 ton WWII Troop Carrier

On Kijiji Kingston.....Ad ID 252926145

A bit pricey.... but then everything is negotiable.....

Bob
Canada
Old 11-02-11, 00:20
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Boobie, I must concur. Nowadays when we are searching for restorable mvs, one must ask oneself, what the heck am I doing????

At todays price on everything there comes a time where restoring is at a loss. I have always tried to at least "break even" when doing a resto and of course this never includes my time....

This brings up an interesting subject...
I got into a debate days ago with a fellow who claims that the mv restoration hobby is on a downturn, that is to say that whats left out there that is restorable is hardly worth the bother. Lets hear some input on this ?????

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 11-02-11, 05:10

Default Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

.... and price is relative to how horny you are for the vehicle....

Some of life's realities.....

They don't make CMP any more...

The fewer they become the higher the price.

It's 2011..... I cannot expect to purchase a rolling frame with engine for $300 like in the early 2000.

When you see some of the rusted out hulks antique car collectors purchase and totally restore.... some of our overlooked CMPs are very complete and worth doing....

Two cases come to mind....

Some funny individuals ( they are all funny iof they come from TO)tried selling a beat up old F8 with the engine in a cardboard box for years with no success...... suddenly some lost soul from the US of A decided to pay big bucks and haul it home to Arizona (or far remote area) of all places...... now all of us sane Canucks felt it was not worth the effort...... the poor guy did not know it could not be done...

Well he now has a fully running F8 that will be shown around for years.... and the poor guy was not a mechanic and his handicapped.....and he did it....
The reality is we were more handicapped than him....

Second situation..... guy near Ottawa tried to sell a cab 13 Ford (poor guy did not know no one wants Fords)..... tried repeatedly..... asking $650....turned down $400.... reposted... no luck... he puts it on Ebay and sells it in a few days for $1600......

Last reality about our hobby..... if you do it for the money you are fooling yourself.... in fact even trying to break even is a pipe dream....

Being part of the older "hippy" generation I like to believe we do it for love...LOVE is everything.....

Last weekend I knelt inside a HUP for over 3 hours trying to get the engine to run..... cold, bent over I had to stand up to stretch and relieve muscle cramps..... at one point one of the guy said.... are we having fun yet......?

Hell yes...... you could not pay me enough money for me to to do this for a living..... but for the love of it....YES !!!!

Geez my poor knees are still sore from the pattern on the diamond plate not to mention Artee Writus.....

So what do I do tonite...... spent 2.5 hours outside recovering an excellent 261 engine and froze my tushee....... but I loved it....LOVED IT !!!!!

Boob
..... yes slightly insane!!!
Canada
Old 18-02-11, 00:25
Don Hornby

Bob, that 261 for sale? I'm going to probably need one come summer.
Old 18-02-11, 02:06

Actually, Bob was along on the recovery as co-pilot and technical advisor. The 261 is mine, not for sale at the moment unless you are feeling rather generous. But I now have a late style 235 that the 261 has made redundant. Keep watching - you never know what will appear, I found the 261 on Kijiji listed as "1961 Pontiac 261". I hope you can find an engine close to you to keep shipping costs down. The 261 seemed like a bargain to me for $400 including a cast iron powerglide transmission. It was complete from fan to transmission output, included air cleaner, starter and generator. Without testing I don't know the conditionfor sure, but the previous owner removed it last fall to convert to a V-8 and said he was happy with it except that the V-8 had pretty much been given to him and he wanted to make the car more like what he'd driven when younger.
Old 18-02-11, 04:22

Default West Coast jewel

... there was a 261 for sale in BC in the last 2 months on Kijiji

Grab them while you can....

Fully rebuilt 261 are avaialble at around $2600 US on Ebay..... done locally can cost $3600 CDN.

Shop around...... 235 are more plentiful...... best bet is to network with Hot Rod clubs..... most of their members will buy a prestine Chebby with a 6 cyl. and replace it with a V 8....... such engines are usually cheaper to buy as they are castaway......

Bob
Canada
Old 18-02-11, 06:17

Default 235

I have an erly 235 out of a 1954 Chev pickup on my Shop Floor for $200 bucks near Vancouver B.C
was out of a Soon to be Hot rod
Jeff
Old 18-02-11, 10:58
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
This brings up an interesting subject...
I got into a debate days ago with a fellow who claims that the mv restoration hobby is on a downturn, that is to say that whats left out there that is restorable is hardly worth the bother. Lets hear some input on this ?????
Chris,

Depends on one's perspective, but it is definitely changing here in Holland. In general, people have less time and disposable income available, and the remaining WW2 vehicles need more time, money and skills to restore than three/four decades ago when this hobby started to take off. Back in those days sandblasting and painting was easier/cheaper as there were less strict environmental regulations, prices of paint and parts have gone up, etc., etc.
The HMV club I am a member of has a serious problem with getting younger members signed up (I belong to the youngsters - hah!). Apart from the fact that the traditional club organisation has seen its best days (who needs a quarterly printed newsletter when you have sites like MLU?), more and more younger people simply cannot afford the money and time needed to buy, restore and store a rusty old army truck.

It is interesting to see however that more and more interesting (not necessarily rare) vehicles are being acquired by collectors. British and Canadian vehicles have an increased interest here, partly because collectors want something different than a Jeep, Beep or Jimmy and also because the effort to restore one of the former is the comparable to the latter.

The past few years some HMV categories have seen a sharp price increase. Jeeps for example, as they are easy to maintain and store and spares are still plentiful. AFVs have soared, mainly because there are new babyboomers on the scene with spare money coming from the sale of their business or house upon retirement etc. As the next generation does not have silly money to spend on a boyhood dream (they dream of other stuff these days), I doubt if all those "investments" will prove to be a sound financial one in the long run. But the owners surely get a lot of dividend in the shape or pure enjoyment, and that is worth a lot of course!

HTH,
Hanno