MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 08-02-12, 12:50

Default Vickers light tank rear lamps

An interesting point has come up.
I recently purchased a copy of "Handbook for Light Tanks MkS II - VI).

It is basically descriptions of the design / construction and motive power for the various Mks.

However, in the wiring diagrams and in the "electrical" sections, the rear lamps of the MkIV - V - VI were red and blue ?

Can anyone throw any "light" [ha ha] why one of the lamps would be blue ?

Was it for convoy station keeping at night, or some other purpose ?

Just a query.

George.
Old 10-02-12, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Moore View Post
However, in the wiring diagrams and in the "electrical" sections, the rear lamps of the MkIV - V - VI were red and blue ?

Can anyone throw any "light" [ha ha] why one of the lamps would be blue ?

Was it for convoy station keeping at night, or some other purpose ?
Hi George,

I once pondered that question and even after research, could not find out why. I installed all the wiring, electrics, lamps and instruments to an ex-Australian MkVIA which was being restored in the UK for a US collection. The lamps are switched separately, my thoughts were that if in combat and the tank had to back up, the blue lamp was switched to denote change of direction to ground troops or other tanks, but that was the only use I could think of.

I had a load of photos, but they are trapped in an old PC that will not fire up. Might have one of the instrument panel though.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 11-02-12, 13:46

Default Lamps

Thanks Richard,

It was only through the fact I bought this book on Light tanks, that I saw the reference for the first time, in my iggerrance I had always thought they were both red.

Station keeping was one idea I had, similar the ther German Notek system, if you see the different lenses, you were too close.

Didn't seem right though, the same applies (I think) to the vertical black/white stripes on the vehicles.

Was blue less visible at night?

The wiring diagrams show that neither appear to be connected to the brake pedal either, though on earlier models, the feed is connected to the horn button !

The bulbs do not appear to be twin fillament, so there does not seem to be a brake light.

Strange !

I have a load of interior photos on file myself, the book does however illustrate both the early RR engine fitted to the early Mks, and the Meadows engine fitted to the MkIV onwards.
I could still do with some engine bay photos, ideally, a look at the gearbox/drive. The drawings are only outlines.

Appreciate the response.

George.
Old 12-02-12, 06:18
Bluebell

Default George

The Australian Lp2 carrier had a red lense and a blue lensed light,(Blue, front and rear) I cannot recall the logic behind this, but I see in the parts book that the red tail light lense became obsolete.
With regards the brake lights, you are applying modern day thinking to a time gone by. I dont think any of the wwII carriers had brake lights. I would guess brake lights on tanks was the same. Probably on the allied side the Americans would have been first with the standardised QMC tail light assemblies being fitted, as on the M3A1 light Tank (Stuart or known here as the Honey tank)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 12-02-12, 11:42

Default Lamps

Hi Lynn and Richard,
Yep, I guess you're right on this, modern thinking.

My first ever car was a 1939 MG TB, at the tender age of 22, during my apprenticeship, I stripped and rebuilt, though it wasn't in a bad state, but had failed the MOT, which had only recently been introduced into the UK, [yes; it was that long ago] !!

I recall there was only one brake light "offside" and the headlamps wired when on dip, the nearside cancelled the offside went to a lower fillament.

I digress.

Having read the book, and the electrical section, there is no explanation as to the purpose, just that they were fitted.

I guess there's an answer out there somewhere.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
Doris 1.jpg  
Old 12-02-12, 20:11
Bluebell

Default George

Looks like about 1962-63 from the MkI Cortina

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 14-02-12, 00:38

Default 64

Yep,
18, my first car, and second year of my apprenticeship.

The dark shadow under the MG is not a trick of the light, but I ran over a pan of old engine oil.
Never did get the stain out, and it killed the grass on that side of the front lawn.

Parents were livid.

After the "rebuild" sold the car to Richardsons at Slough, got £120 for it, just before the price of "collectors car" went through the roof. At the time you could pick up a T type for under £100, nearly bought an F type Magna for £120, but no canvass roof.

If only !!!!!!!!!!!!

George.