MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 15-03-12, 00:24
carrier mech

Default Lynx advice

So we removed the Lynx shifter mechanism on the Shilo Lynx a couple days ago, and have it repaired to as good as new. I moved the Lynx onto the hoist and will re-install the shifter tomorrow. The shifter blocks had worn grooves in the bottom plate, allowing the blocks to turn and run into each other. As such, the gear shift could get stuck either going in or out of a gear. I welded up the grooves, and ground it down to the point where there is no turning of the shift rods. Case solved.

Next on the agenda is a quick brake job. The wheel cylinders are obviously smaller than the standard CMP trucks. Does anyone have the part numbers available from the lynx manual for the wheel and master cylinders? What commercial brake system are they based on? 3/4 ton truck?

The museum likely has the parts manual in the main library, but just in case, I don't want to lose a day looking for numbers.

Last edited by rob love; 15-03-12 at 01:47.
Old 16-03-12, 23:45
carrier mech

Well, I got my answer with a few minor surprises. The front brakes are bog stock Ford, same as on the trucks. They have the regular 1-3/8 wheel cylinders. The back ones were a bit of a surprise. The brake setup was chevy. I recognised one of the part numbers on the cylinder as chevrolet, and sure enough it crossed over. The master cylinder for the lynx was also the stock Ford 1-1/4" cylinder.

The next problem on the lynx that presented itself is that the outer sector shaft that holds the pitman arm had crawled out from it's coupling with the steering box secotr shaft, and was rubbing against the armoured nose cone. Took about 2 hours to get that nose cone off, but things are coming together.

Hoping to get all the brake parts by mid week, so we can re-assemble it and have it rolling by weeks end.
Old 17-03-12, 00:36
Bluebell

Default Rob

Does it have the hand brake in the rear brakes? (cables come from the back plates)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 17-03-12, 02:04
carrier mech

Yes it does, and the brake adjusters are part of the wheel cylinder. Is this early or late Lynx?
Old 17-03-12, 02:20
Bluebell

Default Rob

My guess is the brakes on the lynx are the same as the C8 then.
All the larger CMP's used the Ford brakes, and the C8's (and F8's ?)used the Chev brakes.
I was only guessing. I have only seen one Lynx in Aust, and never seen a drum off.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 17-03-12, 02:52
carrier mech

I don't have a lot of reference to the 8cwts, just the 40-42 Ford parts catalogue Se-39-42. The 8cwt brakes shown in it do not resemble the brakes I am finding on the lynx. I have a parts manual somewhere for the HUP series, I'll have to look in it and see if there is any similarities.

Done! I had a look at the HUP book and that is the brake system used on the rear of the lynx. The part number on the lynx cylinder (5451217) does not match the part number from the HUP manual (5450071) , but the cylinders I did order are the modern replacement for the ones shown in the HUP manual (Dorman W4358).

The cylinders will be in on Monday, hopefully they are a perfect fit.