MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-02-12, 14:42

Default Dodge D3/4 APT army identification

Hi all, my friend in Czech Republic bought Dodge D3/4 APT, probably originally served in some European army. This Dodge carried older wide body, we have only tail panel from body now. The only marking we found is white number 5905752 in the center of tail panel, the original one in 2'' high numbers, younger version was 4'' high. Is it possible to say what army used this style of numbering? Norwegian or other?
Old 17-02-12, 21:12
MLU Administrator

Hi Pavel,

Welcome to this forum. Please give a short introduction about yourself when posting here for the first time.

As far as I know, the APT was not used during the war,but a number were supplied to countries across Europe to help rebuilding the transportation systems.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 20-02-12, 10:53

Hi Hanno, what to say about me, I am modeller and I am building mostly 1/72 kits of WW2 period, but I many years cooperate with Czech MV collectors. My friends own large collection mostly US and British types, like Jeeps, Dodges 3/4 ton, Fords GTB, Mack NO, Fordsons WOT-3 and WOT-2, M5 High Speed Tractor and others. There are also some Canadian types, not only the mentioned APT, but also Dodge T-110, CMP C60L, C8A and C60 with No 11 cab. I think we discuss few years ago british GS trailer 1 ton.

About Dodge APT - yes I know, that probably never served in WW2, I am surprised how few period photos are for this type, I know only two from post-war Canadian army. We are mostly sure, that this particular APT served somewhere in Europe, but we are trying to find where.
Old 20-02-12, 19:35

Default APT pics Camp Vernon 1949

Agreed, I can't find any 1944-5 pictures of an APT in Europe. Here are 2 pictures from Camp Vernon cadets using APT's for signals training. They appear to be a dark green, I see RCD logos and the Canadian DND numbering system post war. 86-490

They used APT's until at least until 1953 when M37's began to replace them.

I found a picture of a restored unit of an APT in Europe. No original WW2 pictures as of yet. Still looking.

Walde
Vancouver BC
Canada
Attached Thumbnails
Vernon_1949_origphotos_PA_22.jpg   Vernon_1949_origphotos_PA_23.jpg   47537.jpg  
Old 21-02-12, 11:23

And any post-war European photos? I mean from army service, not preserved vehicles. Unfortunately on my friend's APT is missing every part used for marking, it means hood, bumpers and body. The only one is upper mentioned tail panel.
Old 22-02-12, 01:22
Dave Good

So Walde how is your project coming along ??
Old 27-02-13, 20:27

Wink Walde's APT in BC

Dave

Happy New Year!

Just a frame now, working on the 237 engine. It appears it may have been replaced in the mid fifties. Can't find a serial number on the engine unless I'm looking in the wrong place, found a number stamped in the cylinder head 1072812 under the oil filter bracket and the only other stamp I found are 5 single letters stamped along the left side block one letter in each raised casting protrusion. Letters are C,C,B maybe R, C and D.

Chassis S/N 91166298
Stamped on frame next to Chassis S/N is T236-7476-C

Dash plate reads the same plus:

D3/4 WP/APT
S/M 6423
Date of Manufacture-June 29, 1945

Walde
Attached Thumbnails
8839b2l_20.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 28-02-13, 02:29
RIP

A few photos to whet your appetite. The first batch show the vehicle with side-curtains, then an RCAF model, then with top and sides down and don't ask me what the 6-wheel version is?

Clive

Old 28-02-13, 03:26

Default Apt

Hi Pavel, it sounds to me like your friend would be Peter?if it is please say hi for me, hey Walde nice coil on that motor , the only item that I did not find for my ignition system , do you have the spark plug housings if not send me a pm,
regards Frank
Old 28-02-13, 05:33

Default APT pics

Clive

Fantastic find! Never seen these before new APT pics, the airforce variant has some interesting mods like 2 gas can mounts on fender instead of the running board, no spare mount, both mods enable unrestricted swing room for the doors.

Also notice an antenna mount left rear box, a "stick on" drivers windshield heater in the last picture, mine also appears to have had a factory installed heater under the dash, this unit likely had a heater too, single drivers side mirror on drivers side, instead of both sides, same as mine.

Walde
Attached Thumbnails
2207dkf_20.jpg   0215965_20.jpg  

Last edited by Walde Libera; 28-02-13 at 06:07. Reason: added pics
Old 28-02-13, 07:12
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walde Libera View Post
Dave

Happy New Year!

Just a frame now, working on the 237 engine. It appears it may have been replaced in the mid fifties. Can't find a serial number on the engine unless I'm looking in the wrong place, found a number stamped in the cylinder head 1072812 under the oil filter bracket and the only other stamp I found are 5 single letters stamped along the left side block one letter in each raised casting protrusion. Letters are C,C,B maybe R, C and D.

Chassis S/N 91166298
Stamped on frame next to Chassis S/N is T236-7476-C

Dash plate reads the same plus:

D3/4 WP/APT
S/M 6423
Date of Manufacture-June 29, 1945

Walde

the serial # of the engine should be on a pad on the drivers side of the engine behind the water pump just below the head and should have T236 stamped into it like the picture from the flathead six website.
Attached Thumbnails
S2533513Cw.jpg  
Old 04-03-13, 22:34

Hi all, thanks for pictures. Does anybody know where is possible to buy copy of manual and part list of APT? I asked Mr. Bowker from this forum, but no answer.

To Frank: Dodge APT owner is Peter's son Tom. His APT is very early, I think only 44'th produced (S/N 91 151 326). It has chassis rebuilded from american origin and fabricaly converted to Canadian version.
Old 05-03-13, 08:04

To servicepub: I think two lowest photos are American WC-52 and prototype of WC-62. See the first version of petrol tank cap and long and high front part of body. Only prototype of WC-62 had small petrol tank cap, serial production had bigger one.
Old 06-03-13, 02:59

Default APT Manual.....

Grant Bowker has had recurring crashes on his computer and is currently setting up a new system ...... Not sure if he is back on line but will let him know by telephone of your interest in a manual.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 06-03-13, 04:46

Default Apt

Hi Pavel , last time I saw Peter was in our camp in Normandy in 2004 , we were all in the Belgian camp,first time I met Peter was at a friends place in Santa Barbara,and we all went to the convention together, we had a great time, I have the parts book with the waterproof supplement, very nice copy , if you are interested please pm me,
regards Frank
Old 06-03-13, 17:18

Thanks Bob for answer and help. Frank I was in Asnelles camp Normandy 2004 with Peter, too. I ask Tom if he is interested in waterproof manual. His car is early version, so originaly no waterproof.
Old 06-03-13, 19:59

Default APT manuals

I would be interested in an APT Service manual also, a copy would also work. Was there a parts manual done for the APT's?

A couple more pics of I think another APT in the Canadian prairies, i can't remember where these came from.

Walde
Attached Thumbnails
83332k9_20.jpg   2283ihm_20.jpg  
Old 04-04-18, 17:20

Dear All

please join the new Facebook Group CANADIAN DODGE 3/4 APT WP
I'm collecting datas about this particular type of Dodge and up to now we have more than 20 dodge registred

Join it

THX
Rob
Old 04-04-18, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walde Libera View Post
I would be interested in an APT Service manual also, a copy would also work. Was there a parts manual done for the APT's?
Both parts and service manuals were printed for the D3/4 APT.
I (and probably others too) do reprints of these manuals. If you are interested, PM or email me for a quote.