MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 07-12-17, 19:06

Default Water pump M3A1 White Scout car

Thanks for the add. And now for my 1st question: l, My water pump on my White M3A1 Scout car was leaking so i took it off with the intention of sending it off to a professional to rebuild it. Upon inspection,however, it only looks like the packing has to be replaced. The impeller is turning fine and appears to be in fine shape. Can I get an opinion on what you guys would do? Also, Can anyone recommend a supplier who has new packing material that is better than the 70 year old packing?. I understand that the silicone packing is far superior than the old stuff. Thanks, Rob.
Old 07-12-17, 19:18
carrier mech

I went through this a year or two ago with the scout car at the museum. I ended up buying a rebuild kit from an Australian dealer, but in the end could just as likely have got away with tightening the stuffing a bit.

Try the pump as is by tightening the gland nut a little, otherwise the rope type stuffiing is available at most plumbing suppliers. You will want to watch it with the NOS stuffing that is out there. They may well contain asbestos or vermiculite particles. Your level of success may well have to do with how scored your shaft is presently.

I have heard of others who have had the waterpumps rebuilt/modified using modern bearings and seals.
Old 08-12-17, 18:14
metal urgest

Garlock manufactures many types and sizes of packing gland material. You may want to check out what they can provide.
Old 09-12-17, 00:13

Default Packing Material

If you are anywhere near the water and marine suppliers, you should be able to get Teflon shaft packing rope in a wide variety of diameters, sold by the foot or inch. These are used in prop shaft glands and other moveable through hull situations. Your best bet to find this type of stuff is at an old school chandlery that supports a real shipyard or boat repair yard.
Old 10-04-18, 10:43
Armour Owner x 3

The original pumps use an asbestos packing. This was well and good in the day but now days the obvious issue is health concerns.

Practicality wise, they were not a good concept unless the vehicle was in frequent use (daily) as the shaft was a mild steel and the packing tightness was a compromise between tight enough to stop the water leak and too tight causing scouring of the shaft. Realistically they are a constant loss concept so that a small quantity of water weeping past the seal will act as a lubricant and a cooling effect.

The best remedy is to have someone who is good with a lathe convert the pump to a more modern design.

Take a skim off the shaft and make a thin walled stainless steel sleeve. Shrink fit it to the shaft.

1) Machine just enough (there is very little material to spare) and fit a modern lip seal.

or

2) Stay with the original packing design and use a modern packing material that is not abrasive like the asbestos rope was.

1) Then forget the pump for the rest of the time you own the vehicle.

or

2) Very occasionally tighten the packing nut a miniscule amount.

Regards
Doug