Old 19-04-18, 02:15

Default transfer case

I am looking for a transfer case for a ford cab 13 that i am working on
Cheers
Larry
Old 19-04-18, 04:10

Default transfer case

Hi Larry
you need to tell us more, is it a single speed (15cwt) or a two speed (60 cwt)?
If a single speed both chev and ford are interchangable, if 2 speed you need a Ford case as it has differences from the GM version.
Old 19-04-18, 17:56

O sorry it a single speed the fella that owned it before used it for a tow truck and he said he put a 2 speed in it for more power.
Old 20-04-18, 01:00

Default Why change???

Hi Larry

Why do you want to change back to a one speed......? is the two speed crapped out or do you just want to be historically accurate???

I have a 2 speed in a Chevrolet C15a and absolutely love it.

Cheers

PS.....Bob P. can you send me a PM re your tranny cover.
Canada
Old 20-04-18, 03:00

I have no idea what shape the transfer case is in I acquired it 15 years ago and it sat in my pasture ever since. Yes I am a bit anal about originality I don't want to bastardize vehicles by putting parts on that are not original equipment to me it lowers the value. I am asking for help in finding a single speed transfer case for my ford cab 13 15 cwt cmp are they the same in cab 11 and 12's

thanks
larry
Old 20-04-18, 03:34

Default transfer case

I believe that an early (11 &12 cab) transfer is interchangable with a later 13 cab. Maybe Bob C. could confirm as he has more experience owning/operating the early cabs than I do ( my feet are too big) You should be able to find one close to home- we have some forum readers in central Canada.
With respect to originality in a truck - its purely personal choice but I am with Bob C. as I have a 13 cab chev 15cwt under restoration which is updated with a 261 engine and 2 speed transfer case. I have had several originals that were relatively gutless and slow. I hope my updates will make this vehicle a little more user friendly on the road.
Old 20-04-18, 04:42

Default Transfer case.......

First to Bob P. will follow up on the PM.

Hi Larry....... I try for originality as far as possible but like Bob P. there are some improvements which are hard to do without. With the tight engine compartment I opted for electronic ignition all mounted inside a 216 dizzy. If you are running a Ford with the original ignition there are modules that can be installed that will save a lot of original and historical frustration!!!!!

For example I used a lot of the later modifications done to the cab 12 to make my cab 11 sturdier....like the corner 1/2 plate under the corner of the cab to keep the back wall from doing the shimmy..... a rebuilt 261 for being able to keep up in modern traffic, stainless steel brake lines and sleeved master cylinder...... also using a rebuilt Carter YF as it is more dependable and responsive/drive-able, added a dual frame mounted oil filters and 1940 glass bowl fuel filter, etc. bottom line it is your truck and we all do what we like best.

On the single speed T-case sitting for over 15 years in the back pasture it is probably still quite good but will no doubt need a total rebuild. Steel being steel and mother nature loves rust. Take it apart and see how it cleans up. All the bearings and bearing races are available and modern neoprene seals are also there for the picking. Your yokes shafts may be pitted where the seals rub so you may need to install "Speedy Sleeves"..... in all the cost of all the "consumable parts" will be over $700. and General Bearings Services will be your best friend. Gaskets can me home made. When shopping for bearings/race they seem to prefer exact ID and OD measurements than part numbers.

My knowledge rests primarily with the Chevrolet models but according to the manuals the early single speed T-case are interchangeable between the Ford and Chev although the cases are different some of the gust are the same and even then there were some redesign of the cases for greater capacity of gear oil.

The shipping weight of a T-case would no doubt exceed the cost of getting one locally.

If you do rebuild one consider using a modified engine stand that will allow you to bolt the t-case to the stand and rotate for ease of assembly... then you have two free hands to work with. If you do go that route and would like to see pictures let me know.

It's a joke around the barn that I took my first T case apart and together again seven times before I felt I had done it right.......

A word of caution... there are 6 end caps / bearing on the t-case and they all have various number of very delicate very thin brass shim gasket spacers..... save them all and mark the exact location of each set...... following the shop manual you will need to preload each bearing....time consuming but very doable....... having a "donor" spare T-case for extra shims is a God send and so is a micrometer to gauge their respective thickness. Your gasket paper thickness will also need to be kept in mind...... remember better slightly loose than too tight.

When you re-install the t-case in the frame you will need to make some rubber gaskets from the side walls of old tires to lessen vibration.

As to the size of my feet.... they are tooooo big like everybody else and you need to tip toe through the tulips when driving.

If we can be of any help just ask away.

Cheers

Bob C

PS ...... Just remembered I do have a Ford single speed with a broken case.....if you ever needed some of the internal parts.......
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 20-04-18 at 05:03.
Old 20-04-18, 05:04
3RD ECHELON WKSP

To each his own as they say but here's my .02 worth...
I too am very much a purist when it comes to restorations. Yes, some mods seem to make sense and make a vehicle more "drivable" but something to consider is the fact that they were designed to be "drivable" in the first place.
Perhaps not in the way the modern world considers it to be, but drivable nonetheless.
When there vehicles were engineered I believe that they used the best combinations know at the time to come up with the designs that they did. Things like brakes and suspension were carefully calculated to work together with the drivetrain of the day. Truthfully, I reason that CMPs were made to go a certain speed for a reason. Messing with that by adding "performance improvements" only works as a total system- that system is only as strong as its weakest link. If one were to start increasing HP, speed etc it would only be reasonable that things like steering, suspension and braking should be improved upon as well... Vehicle engineering is in fact a total formula afterall.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 22-04-18, 03:42

Default transfer case

dont want to hijack the search for a transfer case but...
CMP chevs were grossly underpowered with the 216 engine, the addition of a 235 or 261 does not in any way overtax the driveline, to wit a fellow collector/restorer who routinely drives a stretched " restored" 15 cwt witha 350 chev v8 and auto trany on the rural highways around Stratford. I think having a lighter foot helps.
My first experience with cmps (40 plus years ago) was at Simpson sawmill Galt, where they ran 3 converted 3 ton chevys as forklift trucks. They were Sedora brothers conversions, Mt Albert Ont who did 150 plus conversions. They were all repowered with 250 chev engines and the parts of the driveline that routinely failed under duress was the axle shafts which twisted off with annoying regularity.This was not surprising as the rear axle (now under the boom) was welded solidly to the frame so when pushing against a pile of logs in muddy ground something had to give- usually not the transfer case.
You can break anything if you try hard enough, taking it easy usually gets you through.
Old 23-04-18, 04:46

Thanks to all the replies but i think i will still look for a single speed case as it won't see many miles.
Thanks again
Larry
Old 24-04-18, 01:56
VMVC

Default single speed vs two xpeed xfer cases

Hi Larry,

To each his own, but I am on the originality side like yourself. I had a two speed transfer case in my F15-A and spent a lot of time and effort putting it back to the single speed case. It involved welding up and grinding back the elongated mounting holes burnt in the transfer case brackets to accommodate the larger two speed case.
I also had to source the correct rear floor plate and single speed change lever.

In support of the two speed however, if one is running 20" wheels instead of original 16" wheels then there is some merit to the two speed case in a F15-A. The low range is 1.87:1 which makes for a lower speed in 4WD. If you don't intend a lot of serious off-roading then the single speed original setup should do just fine.

There are some misconceptions around that a two speed case give you more road speed. I have heard it repeated a few times which is not the case as both single and two speed only give 1:1 ratio in 2WD. It is not an overdrive.
In fact. with the extra weight, a two speed case would probably affect top road speed slightly.

Cheers.

Jacques Reed