Old 01-05-14, 08:13
HUP guy

Default CWH - Lancaster flight on eBay

Canadian Warplane Heritage, Hamilton, Ontario

Lancaster flight - Canada to UK

on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Avro-Lancaste...d#ht_231wt_879
Old 01-05-14, 23:58

What do they mean by "last flight"? Do they mean its not coming back from England?
Old 02-05-14, 00:10
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default ...................

Probably implies the last time they'll fly it over....Then they will auction off a place in the last flight back...there aint no stupid on these people and they do know how to raise money.

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 02-05-14, 00:41
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Sounds like they are looking for someone to pay the gas....

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 05-05-14, 23:15

Quote:
Sounds like they are looking for someone to pay the gas....
I agree and can't blame them for trying to find a sponsor. Fuel from Hamilton to Europe ??? I can only imagine they need huge amounts.

I never expected we would ever see both flying Lancs together and I only hope they will include the Market Garden remembrance here in Holland in their Schedule.
Flying an old ww2 plane around half the globe....stunning! Apart from the Lancaster, two C47's will also fly from N-America to Europe, albeit some weeks earlier for the Normandy Anniversary. Actually I think one of them will leave New York for UK tomorrow!

Alex
Old 05-05-14, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
I never expected we would ever see both flying Lancs together and I only hope they will include the Market Garden remembrance here in Holland in their Schedule.
Hi Alex,
I think the Lanc is only visiting for a short time, but heard a few days ago that it should be displaying with the RAF Lanc at the IMPS Combined Ops event at Headcorn aerodrome in Kent.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 06-05-14, 02:38
Terry Warner

Current bid C$40,000 with 4 days to go! And not up to the reserve bid either. Wow!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 06-05-14, 06:50

Default what are the chances......

Terry.....just buy the winning lottery ticket for Friday's Draw on the MAX! Then you could afford the trip there and back....plus Market Garden! Good Luck.....Robert
Old 07-05-14, 14:33

Wow....4 bids already!

Quote:
Hi Alex,
I think the Lanc is only visiting for a short time, but heard a few days ago that it should be displaying with the RAF Lanc at the IMPS Combined Ops event at Headcorn aerodrome in Kent.
Hi Richard, I heard it was coming over for one month (?), but just rumours... I guess we'll know in a few weeks as plans are probably not finalised and display dates can change due to weather conditions etc. I was surprised to hear the RAF Lanc was flying over Holland a few days ago, sadly not in our area this time.

Alex
Old 07-05-14, 18:22
HUP guy

Hi Alex,

With 3 days to go it's now at Cdn$50,000. with 8 bids and it would appear the reserve has been met.

If you go on the actual listing and scroll down to the bottom the CWH has answered some of the questions raised.

Brian
Old 08-05-14, 00:57

Thanks Brian; I hadn't noticed the comments below the listing before.

I just noticed on the HMVF forum that part of the twin Lanc Schedule has been published:

http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

Alex
Old 08-05-14, 05:36

Default Follow up posting....

Meant to post this a while ago, but it turns out that part of the crew are from my home town. Unfortunately Terry/Alex....I don't know the the gentlemen or else I would have made an inquiry about filming the entire trip for a free ride. Ah well......enjoy the article for some extra info on the flight. Robert

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2014/03...ancaster-evans
Old 08-05-14, 12:00

Default wrong, wrong. wrong!!!

Welland Tribune article, who writes this s--t? Mynarski was born in Winnipeg Canada and joined the RCAF. He flew in 419 Squadron of 6 Group RCAF.
Old 08-05-14, 14:34
HUP guy

Default Andrew Mynarski - Victoria Cross

Surely even a passing reference to Andrew Mynarski should include mention of the Victoria Cross. The following is from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Mynarski

" Early years[edit]

Andrew Charles Mynarski was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba on 14 October 1916, the son of recent Polish immigrants. Known as Andy to his close friends, he had five other siblings, two brothers and three sisters. Mynarski was educated at King Edward and Isaac Newton Elementary Schools, later graduating from St. John's Technical School. To help support his family after his father's death, at the age of 16, he worked as a chamois cutter.[2]

Wartime service[edit]

In 1940, Mynarski joined the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, a militia unit, but only served a short time before enlisting in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). In September, 1941, he was posted to No. 3 Manning Depot in Edmonton. After basic training, he went to No. 2 Wireless School in Calgary but had trouble learning Morse Code. He was then posted to No. 3 Bomb and Gunnery School at MacDonald, Manitoba, graduating just before Christmas as an air-gunner, earning his "AG" brevet.[2]
Mynarski was promoted to temporary Sergeant in Halifax just prior to going overseas in January 1942. After a series of transfers through operational training units, as a Warrant Officer (second class), he joined Flying Officer Art de Breyne's crew as the mid-upper gunner in 419 "Moose" Squadron, based at RAF Middleton St. George, Yorkshire.[2]
The squadron first flew combat operations using Vickers Wellington bombers before converting to the Handley Page Halifax bombers. After a short introduction to this four-engine heavy bomber, 419 Squadron began to receive the Avro Lancaster bomber in 1944, including examples built in Canada by the Victory Aircraft Company in Malton, Ontario. In early June, de Bryne's crew received Canadian-built Avro Lancaster Mk X bomber, #KB726, coded "VR-A" (call sign A for Able).[3]

Mynarski Memorial Lancaster

The last "op"[edit]

In the aftermath of D-Day attacks on 12 June 1944, Mynarski was aboard VR-A, taking part in the crew's 13th operation, a raid on northern France. They reached their target at midnight, Tuesday 13 June. After encountering flak over the coastline and briefly being "coned" by searchlights, the Lancaster was attacked by a Junkers Ju 88 enemy night fighter over Cambrai, France. Raked by cannon fire with major strikes on the port engines and centre fuselage, a hydraulic fire engulfed the bomber. Losing both port engines, de Breyne ordered the crew to bail out. As Mynarski approached the rear escape door, he saw through the inferno in the rear, that tail gunner Pilot Officer Pat Brophy was trapped in his turret. The tail turret had been jammed part way through its rotation to the escape position.[4]
Without hesitation, Mynarski made his way through the flames to Brophy's assistance. All his efforts were in vain, initially using a fire axe to try to pry open the doors before finally resorting to beating at the turret with his hands. With Mynarski's flight suit and parachute on fire, Brophy eventually waved him away. Mynarski crawled back through the hydraulic fire, returned to the rear door where he paused and saluted. He then reputedly said "Good night, sir," his familiar nightly sign-off to his friend, and jumped.[5]
Except for Brophy, all crew members of the Lancaster managed to escape the burning bomber. Five left through the front escape hatch on the floor of the cockpit. When bomb aimer Jack Friday, tried to release the escape hatch cover in the aircraft's nose, the rushing wind ripped it from his hands. The hatch cover caught him above his left eye and knocked him out. He fell into the open hatch and jammed it closed until Flight engineer Roy Vigars reached him to quickly clip on Friday's parachute and toss him out the hatch while pulling the unconscious crewman's rip cord. Only Mynarski managed to leave via the rear escape door.[6]
Mynarski's descent was rapid due to the burnt parachute and shroud lines, resulting in a heavy impact on landing. He landed alive though severely burned, with his clothes still on fire. French farmers who spotted the flaming bomber found him and took him to a German field hospital but he died shortly afterwards of severe burns. He was buried in a local cemetery. Brophy remained trapped in the bomber and remained with the bomber when it crashed in a farm field. As the bomber disintegrated, and began breaking apart, Brophy survived the crash and the subsequent detonation of the bomb load. Still lodged in his turret, the crash broke the turret open with him pitched out, striking a tree and being temporarily knocked out.[7]
Four of the crew members: Brophy, navigator Robert Bodie, radio operator James Kelly and pilot de Breyne were hidden by the French and, except for Brophy, returned to England shortly after the crash. Vigars remained with the unconscious Friday and both were captured by the Germans, being interned until liberated by American troops. Brophy joined French Resistance fighters and, after joining a resistance unit to continue the fight on the ground behind enemy lines, returned to London in September 1944, where he learned of Mynarski's death. It was not until 1945 when Brophy was reunited with the rest of the crew that the details of his final moments on the aircraft were revealed. He related the story of the valiant efforts made by Mynarski to save him.[8]
Mynarski lies buried in Grave 20 of the CWGC plot in the Méharicourt Communal Cemetery, near Amiens, France.

Andrew Mynarski's grave at Meharicourt Communal Cemetery near Amiens, France.

Legacy[edit]

Victoria Cross[edit]

In late 1945, de Breyne started the process of gaining recognition for Mynarski's extraordinary deed by recommending an award and enquiring about the location of his grave. Although facing some initial resistance, the recommendation worked its way up the command structure of the RCAF and RAF. On 11 October 1946, a Victoria Cross was posthumously awarded for "valour of the highest order" to Andrew Charles Mynarski, by then also awarded the rank of Pilot Officer.[8]

The "Valiants" Bust of Andrew Mynarski unveiled at the Cenotaph War Memorial on 11 November 2006 in Ottawa, Ontario.

Remembering Andrew Mynarski[edit]

Mynarski Memorial Avro Lancaster

Mynarski's Victoria Cross was loaned by his family to Air Command in 1989 and is on display in the entrance foyer at the Mynarski Memorial Room of the Headquarters, 1 Canadian Air Division, in Winnipeg (where a number of other family artifacts are on display). No. 419 Squadron in CFB Cold Lake also displays the original fire axe that Mynarski used to try to free the jammed Lancaster turret; the axe was recovered from the Lancaster bomber at the crash site in northern France.
A Junior High school in Winnipeg, Andrew Mynarski VC School, a park in Alberta, the Royal Canadian Legion "Andrew Mynarski" Branch 34 and 573 "Andrew Mynarski" Air Cadet squadron all bear his name. A chain of three lakes in Manitoba has been named after him by the Geographical Placenames of Canada and at CFB Penhold, one of the locations in which he trained, the married quarters area is known as Mynarski Park. Mynarski was also honoured in 1973 when he was inducted into Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame.[9]
The Avro Lancaster of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario, one of only two airworthy Lancasters in the world, is known as the Mynarski Memorial Lancaster in honour of Pilot Officer Mynarski, and is painted in the markings of his aircraft.[10]
Mynarski's bust has joined the other "Valiants" when the Valiants Memorial was unveiled in Ottawa, Ontario. This memorial site is a collection of nine busts and five statues and a large bronze wall inscription that commemorates 14 individuals celebrated for their personal contributions, but also representing critical moments in Canada's military history.[11]
A larger-than-life bronze statue of Pilot Officer Mynarski, sculpted by Keith Maddison, was dedicated in 2005 at RAF Middleton St. George, the bomber base in England where he served. The memorial depicts Mynarski at the rear of the stricken aircraft, his right arm raised in a salute. Andrew Mynarski is also remembered at the Saint George Hotel in Middleton St. George by the "Mynarski Bar", a bar dedicated to him where images of him and a replica VC are on display.[12]
His hometown of Winnipeg is building a memorial to Mynarski. A group of local Winnipeggers prominent in business, government, heritage, military and community organizations under the auspices of the Air Cadet League of Canada have embarked on a fund-raising project to cast a new statue in a campaign known as "bring Andrew home".[13]
In the media[edit]

Mynarski's story has been powerfully dramatized in the Canadian Historica Foundation's series of Heritage Minutes.[14] Mynarski was also profiled in the 2006 docudrama Victoria Cross Heroes which included archive footage and dramatisations of his Victoria Cross-winning action. His story was recently recounted in As Close as Brothers (2011) documentary, shot in Canada using the Mynarski Memorial Lancaster as well as an Avro Lancaster bomber and artifacts at the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton, Alberta.[15][16] "
Old 08-05-14, 22:39

Default Don't shoot the messenger!

Guys.... you're right with your findings. I hadn't read the entire article through until you mentioned it. Suggestion would be to email the author at Sun Media (her address is at the bottom of the article) plus the Managing Editor and give them your 2 cents worth. Maybe they'll write a retraction. Highly unlikely....but worth an email. Robert
Old 08-05-14, 23:01

Default 2 cents worth

Yes we should get in touch with the newspaper and point out their mis-information. I wouldn't expect a reply let alone a correction in the next issue of their rag. I get the impression, from out local Sun Media news paper, that they don't give a flying fig about being correct or accurate in their facts.

But I'm not bitter.
Old 10-05-14, 05:22

Default Well........

Well Gordon/Brian......I phoned the paper today and have the Managing Editor's email address plus we have the author's address. Now, who writes the letter? And what response would we like? Let me know.....Robert
Old 10-05-14, 13:56

Default The Letter

Robert

Send me an e-mail with the info, I'll send a letter and you send a letter and see what we get in response. Thanks for your efforts.

Gord
Old 10-05-14, 22:10
HUP guy

Default Bidding has ended: Sold for CDN$79,100.

Trip of a lifetime

There were 17 bidders for the seat on the Lancaster flight from Hamilton, Ontario to the UK in August. It sold for CDN$79,100.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Avro-Lancaste...1#ht_231wt_870
Old 10-08-14, 23:44
GM Fox I

Canada's Lanc made it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_OAohcOmI
Old 11-08-14, 03:59

I wonder if that means the RAF Lancaster might pay a return visit to Canada one day down the road?

David