MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 21-11-10, 19:17

Default Poor brakes

I finally got the top off my master cylinder and it was almost empty, I topped it up and pumped the brakes a few times but the pedal still goes almost to the bottom but the brakes do hold a bit at least.

Would there be air in the lines or is the master cylinder bad ?

I doubt the bleeder screws will open. hmmmmmmm

Not sure what to do ????

Anyones help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 21-11-10, 19:38
Squid out of water.

If you can't get the bleeder screws open I would recommend replacing the wheel cylinders at least. I assume that there isn't any brake fluid leaking out anywhere? If not, then there's almost certainly air (or something else which can be compressed) in there. If the brakes hold at all I wouldn't think the master cylinder is bad, but one of the V-Techs on here will know better than I.

I have basically the same problem on my project CDN2 (brake pedal to the floor and nothing happens), and my plan is to replace the entire brake system from the master cylinder through to the drums. It's a tad costly but at least then I'll be sure that the system will work when I need it, and I'll likely never have to replace it again.
Old 21-11-10, 19:54
carrier mech

If the cylinder was empty, then there is likely to be a leak somewhere. Other than leakage, the only other reason for fluid to go down is if the shoes wear or go way out of adjustment, but there would have to be significant shoe loss to empty a master cylinder.

Most likely you have air in the lines. If you can even get one front and one back to open, then you should be able to achieve reasonable braking. However, if the vehicle is going to be subject to a safety inspection prior to licensing, then you are going to have to do it right.

You may find that as the vehicle sits for a couple of days, some of the air will make it's way out of the lines. But that still will not fix what needs fixin.

At a minimum, a new master cylinder and 4 wheel cylinders will only set you back a couple hundred. If your jeep is a Cdn2, the parts are very common. If it's a Cdn3, then the wheel cylinders are a little harder to come by.

At the same time you are changing the cylinders, also replace any of the flexible lines if they are showing any cracking. And as well, while the drums are off, it's usually a good time to freshen up the grease in the wheel bearings, as well as clean or replace the shoes and drums.

But that last paragraph starts to get a bit more expensive, and requires a bit more mechanical knowledge.