MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 12-12-09, 23:01

Default Mk1 ignition button

Folks,
I am trying to find a ignition buton for my Mk1 carrier dash. I have been able to round up most of the parts needed to complete a dash now, except for the ignition button, and a set of info. tags. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or has a extra one they want to part with. Any help with this request would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 13-12-09, 03:04

Default dash plates

Hi Doug,
I saw a set of plates for the carrier dash on Dirk Leegwaters site under Armour category.I used a bus starter button for years until I found a carrier up in northern Manitoba in a swamp with the original starter button still in the dash.That is the only one I have come across since then.Maybe ask Dirk if you inquire about the dash plates if he has one or knows of something close you can use?
Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 13-12-09, 18:43
Richard Harrison

ask Martyn on here but iam sure the starter button is a bog standard lucas part which is still in circulation..... used on fork lift trucks these days ? he did show me one when i went down to visit and it was exactly the saem as my original item which i have on my carrier.

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 14-12-09, 01:00

Richard,
Thanks for the tip. I hope Martyn will reply to this thread, or the private one I sent him.
To you, and all, "Merry Christmas, Happy New Year"! I hope that you all have a safe, and rewarding holiday. Take care, and a big Thanks for your help.
Doug
Old 14-12-09, 17:23
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lavoie View Post
Richard,
Thanks for the tip. I hope Martyn will reply to this thread, or the private one I sent him.
To you, and all, "Merry Christmas, Happy New Year"! I hope that you all have a safe, and rewarding holiday. Take care, and a big Thanks for your help.
Doug
Hey Doug, if you find a source I could use one as well.
Old 15-12-09, 00:46

Hi just to clear it up a bit the horn button is the same as a fork truck standard Lucas part, ive not found a starter button yet in any vehicle parts books how ever if i do i will let you know.
martyn
Old 15-12-09, 07:55

the master switch in an M8 armoured car is the same construction , if you open the rivets for holding it together , and remove the locking device , it wil be a push button again .and grind the turn strip of the button .
Old 16-12-09, 08:23
Richard Harrison

sorry guys, my mistake. i am sure if the horn button is "gettable" the starter one will be too, i will strip mine out see if i can locate a manufacturers serial number or something.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 16-12-09, 10:53
Bluebell

Default Start buttons

Here are a couple of pictures. Like Tony Smith says, " Boring without pictures"
The first is from the McDells carrier.
Both are Lucas parts, the other being held together by 3 hollow rivets. The mounting screws, which hold it to the panel, pass through the rivets. The internals are common to a series one landrover, and a TEA fergy (gearlever start)If you have one which is a bit shakey, you could have it operate a remote solenoid( which does away with the need to run battery cables up to the dash)
Attached Thumbnails
april 08 121.jpg   Start button 1.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 17-12-09, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Here are a couple of pictures. Like Tony Smith says, " Boring without pictures"
The first is from the McDells carrier.
Both are Lucas parts, the other being held together by 3 hollow rivets. The mounting screws, which hold it to the panel, pass through the rivets. The internals are common to a series one landrover, and a TEA fergy (gearlever start)If you have one which is a bit shakey, you could have it operate a remote solenoid( which does away with the need to run battery cables up to the dash)
Sorry Lynn but that isnt our dash, will try to get a photo up soon
Diamond T 968A 2834
Old 17-12-09, 06:19
Bluebell

Default Screw up

Sorry,my bad, Chris/Greg. It will be Peter A's. Its the only start button I've seen like that, which doesnt mean its not common. I suspect its an early one.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 17-12-09, 06:58

Pete Ashby had some army issue horn buttons for sale the other year. I got one from him and it fit really well on my dash panel. Much better then the modern Lucas type. I found it was junk and was plastic.

They did say "except Ford" however its the best looking one I have seen so far.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ghlight=button
Attached Thumbnails
dash01.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 17-12-09, 07:08

Default Horn button

I also bought one of Pete's horn buttons and it works great and there is no modifications to the dash to mount it.The only reason I could see it not being listed as a carrier horn button replacement is the round middle of the body does not fit the hole in the dash panel but the whole assembly will bolt on the outside of the dash and you run the wires behind the button through the panel hole.The 2 mounting screws lined up and bolted on without a problem.It is the next best thing to finding an original replacement.
Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 22-12-09, 22:54

Default Starter button for a Mk1 carrier

Well, I have sent a e-mail to Peter on the horn button, and recieved a good reply. This should work out better. Thanks for the tip on the horn button. The dash parts are coming together. I am having the panel, side plate fabricated as this e mail is in progress. I will post the pictures of the final product. The side plate will come with the data that was stamped into it on the origional plate. It is being lazer etched in.
I have found most of the parts for my dash from Brian Asbury. Great help there. He says that I picked up the last Mk1 speedo.
He has been a blessing onthe parts end.
Still missing the id tags, and starter button. Found the circuit breaker and the fuse block parts after some help. (see attached items).
So.. on with the final parts to comlete the dash.
Too all, Thankyou, for the advice and help on this part of my project. If it weren`t for you, this type of project would be near impossible.
Attached Thumbnails
02 carrier dash harness.jpg   fuse01.jpg   fuse block1.jpg   cirbrk01.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 23-12-09, 19:57
Richard Harrison

I pulled off my starter button today so i an try and find who makes it..... it splits into three peices and is otherwise a run of the mill starter button. the copper terminals were a bad idea and one jas snapped, luckily there is enough meat to get the nut back on...... could not locate any part numbers or names but i reckon here in england they will still be around......i will start a hunting

i also have the fiibre board with fuse and resistor and the ford canada tag........ that is it though ! i will post up a pic of my dash to show you just how bad it is.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 23-12-09, 22:38

Richard,
If things work out with the fabbing of the 4 mk1 dash panels, and the 5 side plates, I could set one a side for you. The panel was $ 75.00 Can each. The side plate was $28.00 a piece for 5 each.
The fuse block was $ 17.50 ea. (pounds), approx. $8.00 (pounds) shipping. The circuit breaker was $14.00 us each with a few dollars shipping.
Now all we need to do is get the starter button sorted out, and a good part of the dash will be done. Your thoughts?
Old 24-12-09, 01:14
Richard Harrison

sounds good....... i will get to work on the buttons front

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 24-12-09, 13:34
Richard Harrison

just on Dirks site before www.lwdparts.com and in the spares section he now has a horn button if one is required by anyone, remember Martyn can possibly gt horn buttons so dont pay through the nose for a CMP item, i noticed it was "price request" which is never good.

if anyone manages to get in touch with Dirk please remind him to quote me for my bits + postage.

in the mean time i have cleaned up my starter button and will take it around a few places i know of over here.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 02-01-10, 10:59
Richard Harrison

ok boys took my starter to my old man who is an electronics lecturer, he is of the opinion that he can replace all internals to make the Mk1 buttons work again (if you find a wrecked one) as long as the case is ok. i stripped mine down and it is close matchl to a Mk1 austin mini starter solinoid which i can get here in the uk quite easily....... just finding a way to form up the case is my problem..... i am continuing to look for a full unit and i am sure Lucas make them. does anyone have a Mk1 briish carrier with original starter button in that i can look at ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 04-02-10, 17:22

Default Mk1* ignition button

Maurice,
The M8 master switch works. Right on there. Thank you for the idea.
My Mk1* inst. panels are complete, the inst. panel light holders are complete (Dirk l. has the light for sale). Sets of basel rings for the inst`s are complete. The side plates for the inst. panel are complete. All turned out so very close to the origional, that once painted, it would be hard to tell the origional from new.
I am making up the headlight brackets now. The bases are complete, now have to fab up the leg`s. Will include more pic`s of the parts when my wife comes home with the camera.
All of the parts so far have been put on CAD drawings, and can be reproduced. A company called LaserTech in Edmonton has done this work. As well, I have my Mk11* inst. panel in getting drawn up, and can be fab`d up. Now somene does not have to go thru what I had to, to find some of these hard to find parts.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
200-0100_IMG[1].jpg   201-0101_IMG[1].jpg   201-0104_IMG[1].jpg   201-0103_IMG[1].jpg  
Old 04-02-10, 21:52

hi doug, Nice work on the carrier dash, I am also finishing off the mk1 carrier head lights, I was told that engine block blanking plugs were good for the washers on the springs, 7/8" one's are almost perfect, i have two original washers to patten from, i can get these washers for 55p each here in the uk, just weighting now for 25 more so i can drill and machine them to the right length. Also made up two sets of lower engine cover bolts and a set of upper engine cover knurled nuts. keep up the good work.

kevin.
1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 04-02-10, 22:09
Taisto Hako-oja

Good work you guys. we need more of you.
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 05-02-10, 00:57

Default Mk1* starter button

Kevin,
The frost plug idea that Ledsel gave us really works. I had taken a origional borrowed from Rick Debruyn, and brought it to a auto parts store. They matched it up, and now have 16 cupped washers.
Maurice`s idea of using the M8 master switch is bang on. See attach. ( I used pictures of Rick`s origional button, and some of the ones of the switch I bought). Just follow Maurice`s directions and poof, a carrier starter button. If you can`t find a M8 switch, a Land Rover starter button is darn close, so I have been told from a fellow MLU`er who just bought one. The bolt pattern is the same as on the instrument panel.

I know it has been said many time here but, ..... a big Thank you to all who have put forth the idea`s , fixes so that we can get past one more hurtel, and try to complete our projects. If you could see the smiles come, when one of the fixes work, it is really worth it.

Well, on to the next challange.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
starter button UC mk1[1][1].jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-02-10, 21:19

Default choke lever and cable?

Hi been reading your chats about the starter buttons can sounds like a good job in good hands but can anyone help out on the choke lever and quadrant bit, i have one that has seen better days is anyone making some or has anyone got one for sale?
cheers martyn
Old 08-02-10, 18:33
Richard Harrison

Martyn mine is here which is otherwise in good order which can be used as a pettern if you get stuck ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 08-02-10, 21:46
Dave Good

Quote:
Kevin,
The frost plug idea that Ledsel gave us really works. I had taken a origional borrowed from Rick Debruyn, and brought it to a auto parts store. They matched it up, and now have 16 cupped washers.
Maurice`s idea of using the M8 master switch is bang on. See attach. ( I used pictures of Rick`s origional button, and some of the ones of the switch I bought). Just follow Maurice`s directions and poof, a carrier starter button. If you can`t find a M8 switch, a Land Rover starter button is darn close, so I have been told from a fellow MLU`er who just bought one. The bolt pattern is the same as on the instrument panel.

I know it has been said many time here but, ..... a big Thank you to all who have put forth the idea`s , fixes so that we can get past one more hurtel, and try to complete our projects. If you could see the smiles come, when one of the fixes work, it is really worth it.

Well, on to the next challange.
Doug
Here is a picture of the Lucas starter switch (part # SRB311) installed in my dash and it is a direct bolt in and does not require any modifying to install. This is a excellent choice until an original can be found.
Attached Thumbnails
202-0202_IMG.jpg   201-0200_IMG.jpg  
Old 09-02-10, 00:00

Quote:
Folks,
I am trying to find a ignition buton for my Mk1 carrier dash. I have been able to round up most of the parts needed to complete a dash now, except for the ignition button, and a set of info. tags. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or has a extra one they want to part with. Any help with this request would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug
Try this one http://www.macsautoparts.com/
mosty repo parts but one hell of a range of goodies for critters like us
2x 41ford
2wc dodge
1wc56 dodge