MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-11-18, 10:00
VMVC

Default Australian Ford CMP- sunshine roof details

Good Day All,

In the process of removing what little that is salvageable from a very rotten "Sunshine Roof" I have noticed a few interesting things which members may care to comment upon.

The roof came off a 1943 F15-A Battery staff vehicle which I confirmed via the transmission s/n. As shown it has been closed in with steel over the original roof opening.

I had followed Private _Collectors posts for a few years and noted his sunshine roof in his post #1500. I am not sure how to link it to this thread otherwise I would put it here for comparison.

There are a few difference I noted between his and mine.

There are different attachment points at the top rear corners of the roof. Tony's has hooks and mine has tabs, with grommets, that are spot welded to the roof.
Mine has an external curtain rail and upon close inspection it appears to a factory fitment as it is held to the back of the cabin via drilled and tapped doubler plates that are spot welded to the inside of the cabin.

I thought of one possibility that mine may be for a Chevy as my truck had a replacement Chevy door fitted on the passenger side. Could it be as simple as that, or is mine just a different Ford production model? Early vs late perhaps?

One other interesting feature is the rubber strip between the windscreen hinge and the windscreen frame. I have never seen that before on any windscreen that I have removed, about eight of them at last count! Very old and seems to have green overspray on it indicating an original fitment. Was that the case or someone's later attempt to keep the wind from whistling through the cabin?

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0055.JPG   IMG_0056.JPG   IMG_0061.JPG   IMG_0064.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 23-11-18, 21:43
VMVC

Default Chevy sunshine roof

Good Day,

Just looked at hrpearce's post #222 and his Chevy CMP has the curtain rail in the identical position. I wonder if I has the same attaching arrangements inside the cab i.e. tapped doubler plates?

I also noted Mike Cecil's comments further on in the thread so I now think my roof is a Chevy sunshine roof fitted to a Ford chassis. It had been there for decades by the look of it and the lower back of the cabin is definitely Ford which made me think it could be original.

Why it was done is anyone's guess, but nothing surprises me with these trucks.

Anyone wants a Chev curtain rail?

Cheers,

Jacques Reed