MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 06-05-12, 10:15
Member since 1998

Default CMP canvas curtain bag

Hello,
I am looking for the canvas bag that fits behind the seats on the CMP 13 cab. The side door curtains are stowed in this large.

Has anyone had one made or have the measurements to replicate one.

The CMP 13 cab had these hanging off hooks under the rear window behind the seats, my 6 seater version has the bag hanging off the rear seat as in
the photo on Keith Webb's site.

Looks to be the same but what went into the front pocket?

Thanks,
Wayne.
Old 06-05-12, 10:25
MLU Administrator

Wayne,

Brian Asbury used to have them, ref. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=717. Possibly still does, he's on the forum so he'll chime in.

But possibly the Australian ones were different?

H.
Old 06-05-12, 11:32

Default bag

found it very easy to make it ourselves. the tops dictate the length and the pocket was subject of a previous post.,if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
doors 012.jpg   doors 013.jpg  
Old 06-05-12, 11:42
Member since 1998

Default curtain bag

Thanks Hanno,
That thread answers all my questions. The 6 seater has eyelets to go over the hooks so I can make that modification from the information supplied.
Old 06-05-12, 17:46

Hi Wayne,

Is your 6-seater utility a Ford or a Chev? Always liked the 6-seater: nice proportional truck with good features like the annex: would make a great MV for club outings.

I think the statement that 'the CMP cab had these hanging off hooks under the rear window' needs a little explanation. The statement is correct for Australian Chevs, but not Aust Fords with std cabs (ie my comment does not apply to FGT, etc). Aust Fords had the side curtains held against the rear cab wall by a small swivel piece, joined to a spacer, which was welded to the rear wall in the middle toward the top rail. The feet of the side curtains went into timber retaining block bolted to the floor.

There were also two sizes of curtain bag: the pre-1944 pattern, for trucks with std steel doors, which had curtains with wide 'feet' that were the width of the door sill, and bags for the 1944 pattern Australian cab that were narrower (shallower?) as the side curtains for the demontable flat canvas/steel doors did not have wide 'feet'. L and W were the same: D was less.

The pocket was for the Aust B vehicle log book, and the Aust Drivers handbook.

Mike C
Old 06-05-12, 21:36
Member since 1998

Default Bags of information

Hi Mike,
The 6 seater I am rebuilding is a Chev. There are several types of hooks, brackets and bars that I have seen on 13 cab Chevs but never yet seen a bag hanging in place.
Cheers,
Wayne
Old 07-05-12, 06:19

Default Option...

Wayne: If I'm correct, I bought the last 2 off Brian Asbury a few years ago. I'll let Brain comment as to whether he still has any stock left. If Brian does not have any stock, I can send you down photos and measurements. Not sure about the difference regarding the Australia version, but at least you'll have something to work with. Cheers......Robert
Old 07-05-12, 15:23

Default Photo and measurments Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.morrison View Post
Wayne: .... I can send you down photos and measurements. Not sure about the difference regarding the Australia version, but at least you'll have something to work with. Cheers......Robert
Hi Robert

To add to the general pool of knowledge the photos and measurements would be great. Particularly general photos front and back and then detail photos of how the thing was made, like hanging straps and the closer or snaps. Will give me another sewing project for the Fall.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 08-05-12, 05:05

Talking Dear "Mr Seamstress"

Phil ....no problem with that. Give me a few weeks and I'll photo and draft it all up. If by that time,I haven't figured out how to down load these details to the forum, I'll send them to you and you can share them with the members. PS: That little canvas boot shifter/starter cover that we talked about a month or so ago....I found one in the HUP stuff so I'll do that one up too. I don't think the sewing on mine will come up to your standard though! Robert
Old 08-05-12, 14:09
Member since 1998

Default curtain bag

Hi Robert, Thanks for the offer but I now have all the details and measurements required.
So many helpful people make this site what it is.