MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-04-03, 15:48
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Question for you Aussies

Just who coined the term 'blitz' as it applies to CMP trucks? We know what "The Blitz" was, but how and when did the word become the universal nickname for the vehicle?
Old 27-04-03, 20:08
former Resident Historian

Default Blitz

The word actually means "lightning" in German. It was first used on the Opel truck range in 1931 when the name was picked out from a workers' competition in the Russelsheim factory. It was meant to signify "speed", and equipped with the 1930 Model Marquette L-head engine they were not slow! The name was in fact used continuosuly for all civilian and military Opel trucks right up to 1944, and then post-war as well. It seems that the name was used up into the Seventies when Opel sold Bedford Blitz trucks...so there was no concern at the other meanings of the word.

The term "blitzkrieg" meant "lightning war", and the term "blitz" somehow became adopted and adapated in the UK to mean "mass bombing" as "in the Blitz", probably as a contraction of "blitzkrieg" in the sense that aerial warfare by bombing was part of the German attack plan with armoured vehicles. It then seems that CMP trucks became known as "Blitz Buggies" in Australia, and I assume, and hope someone will correct me, because of their wartime order and use in military action.
Old 28-04-03, 03:22
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hi geoff,
i cant tell you where it started, but i`ve always known them as blitz`s and so have my parents. i`d say its like david said, it evolved from blitz buggy, but its an interesting one, someone should know.

Cheers,

Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 28-04-03, 05:21
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Blitz

I think it is derived partly from our spirit of irreverance - the term as it relates to CMPs was first used in the Western Desert where they were called Desert Blitzes and some old timers still call the Cab 11 and 12 shape that name.
The term Blitz Buggy was also used for the early Jeeps but didn't stick.
Back in Australia this has been the colloquial term for CMPs ever since the war.
Variations are:
Desert Blitz
Blitz Buggy
Blitz Wagon
or just plain Blitz.

I have also heard the International Harvester ACCO called the Inter Blitz or ACCO Blitz because they have a similar shape and purpose, and were to an extent a development of the CMP for the Australian Army.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 25-05-03, 16:41

G'day Gentlemen

Keith is correct the word "Blitz" is German for lightning.

My reasearch into the use of the name Blitz for Aussie CMP's revealed a rather interesting "yarn".

An old "digger" (returned serviceman), related this story to me and I have no reason to doubt his word.

Apparently during the desert campaigns Australian Forces were issued only with militarized-civilian trucks such as Fords Dodges and Chevs. These vehicles although able to cope with the harsh conditions with minor alteration, could not keep pace with the Opel's mentioned in David Haywards posting.

Eventually as the CMP's became available the Aussie boys said "these will have their blitzes buggered"

Later this simply became Blitz Bugger-ers or Blitz Buggies.

With mention to the Aussie ACCO's

Here in is another story (Will begin another posting)

Jean Du Vey
Old 25-05-03, 17:36
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Opel Blitz faster ?

I am not doubting Jeans interesting story , its probably true , as it's the best explantion I have heard so far .

But, I cannot see how the Opel Blitz with a 68 BHP 3.6 litre engine would be faster than a modified conventional Ford or Chev civvy truck . Maybe the 5 speed gearbox of the Opel was the reason .

Mike
Old 26-05-03, 11:33
former Resident Historian

Default One word answer...

"Autobahnen"...the Opel cars and trucks were all blessed with the requirement that they had to be able to speed consistently at high revs, and not blow up. Although Bart V mentions "68" bhp for the 3.6 litre engine, my information has it that it was 79 bhp, with 4 x 2 drive of course, and an engine that was based on the 1937 Chevrolet but with all the bugs ironed out. They could thus be expected to keep up fast speeds consistently. However whether the rarer Allrad version of the Blitz was much slower because of the extra transmission is arguable.
Old 26-05-03, 14:24
MLU Administrator

Default The Grass Is Greener On The Other Side

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Kelly
But, I cannot see how the Opel Blitz with a 68 BHP 3.6 litre engine would be faster than a modified conventional Ford or Chev civvy truck .
Well, isn't often the case the enemy's equipment is perceived to be better in every aspect? The Allied soldiers always complained the German tanks were much better protected and armed and had better mobility than their own. But on the other hand there were reports that "the Sherman tank's ... terrain-crossing ability ... is completely superior to our Panzers".

Of course there often was a source of truth - ask any veteran who had several tanks knocked out under him if it's true if there's fire when you see smoke - but I would not be surprised if the "The Grass Is Greener On The Other Side Syndrome" helped to name the Blitz.