MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events > COROWA - THE EVENT

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 20-03-08, 08:12
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
So Keefy, after that are you still married then??

BTW, great shot of the old bugger taking the salute!
Old 20-03-08, 09:20

Default Corowa 08

Yes, Keefy's still married even after my comments at the airfield trying to clear people away for the official photos.

He made me say it though............

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 20-03-08, 10:23
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Parade ground voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pullen View Post
Yes, Keefy's still married even after my comments at the airfield trying to clear people away for the official photos.

He made me say it though............
You were magnificent, Ian!

Although Belinda was in half a mind to do a streak cricket-style.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 21-03-08, 01:58
Corowa Project 30

I must say that I was very impressed with the number of vehicles and people at Corowa this year. I must thank those people who assisted to share the load including the KVE Committee, KVE members and other partipants. With the Swim-In increasing in size it is impossible for just a few people to successfully manage the event. People have already contacted me to offer assistance for next year and if you are able to help in any way send me an email and I will put you on the list. Even though the event only goes for one week a year the planning has already started for 2009.

In the participant packs we gave people the opportunity to vote on a theme for 2012 and the outcome was 'Year of the 6X6'. Next year the themes are 'Year of the Amphibian' and 'Year of the Blitz 2'. We will be celebrating our 30th Year of this event so it looks like we could have well over 200 vehicles. In 2010 the theme is 'Year of the Jeep', and in 2011 the themes are 'Year of the British and European Vehicles'.

I am accepting entries for 2009 and you would have received a copy in your participant pack so feel free to send it in or download a copy off the website.
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 21-03-08, 04:32
Mark

Default Corowa 2009 Proposal For Fun

In light of this years heat I would like to put out a challenge to others that may be considered by the event organizers.

A Raft Race from the new East Corowa Bridge to the old bridge at Ball Park

Two Rules

1)The main flotation device that the raft is constructed from must be inner tubes.

2)The raft must be man powered with no motorised assistance.

In true Australian fashion we should bet on the winner by running a sweepstake with profit to KVE.

Whos in?
Old 21-03-08, 05:48

Default Raft Race

Mate, if we don't get any rain soon we could have a brisk walk with only our ankles getting wet.

I heard yesterday on the radio that we have been dry long enough that Lake Eildon and it's surrounding infrastructure and wildlife, will not recover to what it was five years ago within our lifetime.

I think the wide brown land is getting wider and browner....

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
Old 21-03-08, 08:23
Bruce McCann

Default Raft

Why not go back to basics and like before just use a jeep trailer, at least with the water diminishing the trailer has wheels.\

Bruce McCann
Old 21-03-08, 08:59
Mark

Default So Bruce are Section 8 up for a challenge?

Well if you want wheels thats fine by me, Jeep trailers are in, just remember to carry a bouy on a string so if they sink we can find them latter.

I however am confident that we will have enough water to float a tube raft, might have to tow an esky if its as hot next year
Old 21-03-08, 09:42
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Talking Finally!

Finally! A chance to have a good look at the pix posted from Corowa!
Tonight (Friday 21st) is the first chance I have had to get a look at what I missed... I was there, but missed a lot!
Being at the swap meet meant that I missed the parade.
Lack of sufficient food, dehydration & then a few beers means Saturday afternoon was a blurr.... (OK several beers...)
Which reminds me, thanks to the dark stranger who assisted me by assuring me that the road beneath my feet was not infact moving around as I made my way back to the swag...
But what a great day! It was so good to catch up with even more MLUers & put a face to the names. But there were STILL some that I didn't meet. Looking forward to next year being in attendance with the F15!
Talk was raised again about getting together later this year for the "Blitz Muster", I'll reopen that thread & we can discuss that after the weekend.
I'll post some photos tomorrow night... Right now I need to get the Kids fed & in to bed...
HH
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)

Last edited by Howard; 21-03-08 at 12:45.
Old 21-03-08, 10:22
Bruce McCann

Default Raft

I have been told i am attending next year in a 2a lwb Land Rover, if i can convince him to tow my trailer, i will definately put it in the water, i will tie one of your inner tubes to it for safekeeping.

Section 8 are stepping up

Bruce
Old 22-03-08, 05:14

Default photos from corowa

col filtness has put up photos he took while at corowa on his sight

www.centurion-mbt.com
- frontidler page 6

LP2A Carrier 5004 SA Railways Islington
Old 25-03-08, 09:31
Alex McPherson

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneymver View Post
I have been told i am attending next year in a 2a lwb Land Rover, if i can convince him to tow my trailer, i will definately put it in the water, i will tie one of your inner tubes to it for safekeeping.

Section 8 are stepping up

Bruce
And I have plans to get my sea legs in the number 5 Landy Trailer....with some extra surprises...

I am not a complete idiot!!!
(Just some parts are missing)
Old 26-03-08, 00:13
www.REMLR.com

I see a battle of the land rover and jeep trailers happening here!!!
Old 26-03-08, 08:47
Alex McPherson

Sounds very much like it Richard. No5s should come out the best.

I am not a complete idiot!!!
(Just some parts are missing)
Old 26-03-08, 09:14
Mark

Default Dont Foget the inner Tubes

I will be approaching the Yass mob to see if we can put together the inner tube raft team, however I am not sure if all can swim. I am predicting that the 2009 raft race will be won by a goodyear. Go YASS OI OI OI
Old 31-03-08, 10:36

Default MLU member missed the photo!

Great photos folks.

I had heard about the MLU member photo but a fair number of us got caught up in a rather important meeting that took a number of hours ...
I'm in the green shirt keeping up my amber fluid intake.

Maybe next time have the photo in the Murray River and I'll try to make it.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
jlittle_river_army_090[1].jpg  
Old 31-03-08, 13:07

2005 we unhooked Dave Stafford in his bantom trailer from his amphib with a shovel as a paddle all was going well untill the wheels hit a tree branch and nearly tipped it. Water was comming in but he maneged to save it. He laughs about it now but back then.

Another funny story was when two mates of mine needed to oxy cut a pipe in the middle of a dam. So they put the oxy in a jeep trailer and paddled out they stood the Actylene bottle up and all was going well untill the bottle started to fall over. They both went for the bottle at the same time.
(true story)They tipped the trailer and lost the lot to the bottom of the dam.
How about 2013 The Year of The Trailer! We could see how many floating trailers we can get in the water at once.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Corowa 2005 Jeff G 204.jpg  
42 C15A
43 969A Diamond T wrecker
Type 2,3 & 4 Ausssie jeep trailers
Old 03-04-08, 12:15

Default Corowa 09

As this years event is now over, next years is just beginning. The theme for next year is Blitz & Amphibian but please do not lock yourself into these vehicles only.

I wish to remind everyone that ALL vehicles (ex-military) are welcome. We have received a number of entries for next year already which is a great sign that people are getting excited about it early. Therefore I suggest that you start thinking about booking your accommodation already. This year attracted almost 180 vehicles, next year we hope to break the 200 mark. For this we need your help, (& entries).

We are expecting a few tracked vehicles again, which proves that the formula that was used this year with the use of the airfield, was right on track (OK, pun intended).

I wish to remind people to keep an eye on the website too. As information comes to hand it will be posted.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know

Last edited by Ian Pullen; 03-04-08 at 12:36.
Old 03-04-08, 12:40
Corowa Project 30

The event for 2009 has already started. We are putting together a program of activities.

I am amazed at the response so far. I already have preregistered tracked vehicles, amphibious, Blitz's and other vehicle types. Please forward your entries as soon as possible. This makes it easier if you preregister.

It is great that people are getting excited about the 2009 event. It will be huge. Camping will be available at Ball Park and the Corowa Airport again.

Let me know if you don't have a form. I will email one out. There were copies in the 2008 packs. A copy should be available from the website shortly. www.corowaswim-in.org

I would like to thank people for the numerous positive comments about the 2008 event.
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 06-04-08, 13:23
RIP

Default Swap Meet

Jan - even though we didn't attend Corowa this year I have had a lot of private feedback. The major one is the location of the swap meet where the majority have stated they would prefer it back at the caravan park. Apparently a lot of locals didn't want to go to the airport plus the caravan park is a far better, greener and shaded locality. Food for thought.
Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 06-04-08, 14:11

Default Swap Meet

Bob, thanks for your feedback. Just a quick one though. If by locals you mean the people from Corowa itself, there were many more that attended this year than ever before. The cars parked at the Airfield entry were lined up over 200 metres either side of the gate. (I don't mean entrants either).

Who ever said that the Airport was a poor location seems to go against the immense returns I have had that the Swap Meet was actually larger than ever before. According to the Rotary Club, there were almost 40 stall holders in total. Pretty good numbers I think. A lot of new faces & a wider variety of stalls too, including videos, books, models etc.

The swap meet lasted longer also, with many people still trading up to 3:00 PM.

I will agree that the lack of shade is the main problem that has been forwarded to me plus the heat. This point seems the main issue with your request. If people know that the swap meet will be held there again, bring a folding shelter, gazebo or beach umbrella. The heat encountered this year was unseasonally hot to start with. It was 41 degrees that day. I can fully accept and agree that the lack of shade was an issue. Trust me, I was out in it.........

Like every other year there was an enormous amount of trading and selling prior to the swap meet. You of all people would accept that anyway. Another draw back was that the Rotary Club who were running the Swap meet allowed trading to start before the agreed time. This is an issue I have addressed with them and WILL NOT happen in the future.

For those who are wondering about why Rotary are running the Swap Meet & not KVE, it is to do with legal issues and Public Liability insurance. (If you want more details send me a PM).

This year was a first to run it out at the airport. To be honest, the swap meet has never been held at the Van Park. It has always been Bangarang Park which is the Rotary Park located near the rear entrance to the Van Park for those who have never been there.

The members and committee have discussed the location of the Swap Meet during a meeting and with the positive feedback given to ALL committee members it has been decided to run it at the Airport again next year.
Yes, I hope that the temp is not quite as extreme, but utilising the Airport for the swap meet in addition to the photo shoot made for a better event overall which is what we are aiming at. The swap meet is just one piece of the puzzle that we have to slot together to get a better overall event that is "Corowa".

There are a few things in place already to help with running the day smoother. Bear with us. We as a committee have been doing this for 4 months only so far. Be gentle with us... We have learnt from this year and are putting processes in line to make next year even bigger and better.

There will be changes again that will become evident shortly to the parade. This is nothing that the committee takes lightly. We understand that some people may resist change and that to make this event develop at the rate it deserves there has to be changes. These will be publicised when we confirm what the local council are doing to the roadway in, around and near the parade start point. Suffice to say that the current start point and Van Park entry way may not even exist next year. Councils do this sort of thing to their roads sometimes.

Hence the committee have already been proactive in finding an alternative early to alleviate any last minute disasters that will occur when everyone arrives there next March. What with 200 expected vehicles, it will be rather large to say the least.

I suppose what I am saying Bob is that it was a trial that has been given a green light to us as a committee from the members and general public. Thanks for your feedback though.

One last point that I will mention too is that if anyone has any points etc that they wish the committee to know, Jan has raised a new thread that will encompass next year. For your information, the 08 event had just over 13,000 hits on MLU and over 350 replies in all threads. With 11 months to go, it will be interesting to see how the 09 event tallies.

CHEERS IAN

It's not what you know
It's not who you know

Last edited by Ian Pullen; 06-04-08 at 14:44.
Old 07-04-08, 00:50
RIP

Default Swap Meet

Thanks Ian - you of course have a far greater overview as we were not there. One thing I wasn't aware of was the Swap Meet starting early, but you have that addressed. I am aware it is Bangarang Park, I was just too lazy to type it out. We'll see ourselves next year.
Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 07-04-08, 07:18

Default Corowa 09

Mate, thanks for the reply and as always, looking forward to catching up at Corowa again. Hope to see you AND Project Burnt Budgie there next year.

As the 08 event is now over, I ask anyone with input, ideas or coments to place them on the Corowa 09 thread.

THANKS IAN

It's not what you know
It's not who you know

Last edited by Ian Pullen; 07-04-08 at 07:26.
Old 08-04-08, 11:57
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Thanks to everyone concerned for an outstanding effort this year, both in reorganising KVE and putting on an excellent show! See you there in '09....

I'm closing and unsticking this thread now. Please input further comments in the Corowa '09 thread which will be put up in its place!