MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-09-08, 05:16
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default Exhaust Manifold - Right Side - F8

I'm almost to the point where I'll begin to affix the exhaust pipes to the manifolds of my Ford flathead. The engine I purchased is set up for the exhaust to go out the right side of the frame. The F8 CMP with the driver's controls on the right requires the exhaust to go out the left side.

As I look at the space between the opening of the right side (driver's side) manifold and the clutch pedal arm, I can't help but wonder if this right side exhaust manifold opening originally was on a plane parallel with the ground instead of opening out at a 45 degree angle as it does now. (Although the left side is in a flat position, these manifolds are not switchable due as the bolting tabs position on each prevents that from happening.)

At this current 45 degree angle the manifold opening points directly at the pedals assembly and is approximately 1 to 1 1/2" away from the clutch pedal arm. As it stands now the right side exhaust pipe will need to be cut and formed in a severe angle in order for it fit in the available space. Only then will it point straight down before crossing under the engine to the left side and connecting with the left side exhaust pipe.

Besides having an exhaust pipe located between the clutch pedal arm and the manifold, there's also an internal body panel. How is all that going to fit in that space between the manifold and the clutch pedal arm! Not only that, the proximity of the exhaust pipe will definitely make this location on that body panel a hot one!

My question to all is this: Was there a different right side manifold made for the Ford flathead installed in the CMP truck and, if so, where can I find one? If not, how do I deal with this placement?

Any suggestions/replies will be most appreciated!

Regards,
Jim

PS The first picture below is from the driver's perspective and the second is from the front looking in.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-121S.JPG   MVC-122S.JPG  
Old 30-09-08, 11:45

Great progress, Jim. Especially the auto trans.
We are following with interest.
This is what the manifold looks like on a cab 13.
The book says part no. 78 9430.
As you can see I need a new one myself. Good ones are hard to find.
Regards,
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
RH Manifold0001.jpg  
Old 01-10-08, 00:07
Pops

Default manifold

Jim I am woundering if you have the correct manifold as it seems to have the outlet at a greater distance from the engine block making it to close to the chassie
Max
Old 01-10-08, 00:50
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Terry and Max:
I checked the part no. in my parts manual and the drawing of it looks like the one I have. Yours, Terry, however looks more like the one I think it should have. Yours appears to have a more downward pointing exhaust outlet and has a lower profile.

Max, I compared the picture of mine with Terry's and mine is made differently resulting in the outlet being a greater distance from the engine block. It did come with the engine and is correct for the right side exhaust for commercial vehicles.

Thanks to both of you for getting back to me! Anybody out there got a spare right side exhaust manifold that looks like Terry's?

Regards,
Jim
Old 01-10-08, 03:06
David Pope

I checked all my F15As (11, 12, + 13 cabs)and they all have the same manifolds as yours Jim. The right side manifold pipe flange is parallel with the block face of the manifold. The pipe has a real tight radius curve where it comes off the manifold to miss the pedal. The other side has the flange at about a 45' angle to the block face. I'll post some pix tomorrow.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 01-10-08, 03:46
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Jim, you asked this same question a little over a week ago! As I mentioned, this is not an LHD/RHD issue.

The pics you have posted show a 21A-9430 manifold from a 1942-48 car engine. The distance from the block face to the outlet face is 2 3/4in. Terry's pic he posted appears to be the correct truck manifold 78-9430, which is 2in from the block to outlet face. I note from your previous comments that you have a 221ci car engine, not the 239 that should be in a CMP.

There are frequently many of the correct 78-9430 manifolds that appear on e-bay, but none seem to be listed just at the moment. Keep watching and one should appear soon. I have a couple of spares here, but for the price of postage to the US, you could buy 5 in the US off E-bay!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Manifolds.jpg  
Old 01-10-08, 18:03
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Tony:
Yes, I did ask the same question a week ago and, after re-reading your earlier reply, it finally soaked into my brain that there was a difference between the 21- that I have and the 78- that should go with the engine. Your latest pictures really show the difference in the heighth of the two.

Thanks for your patience! My apologies for not reading your email closely enough! My Will keep my eyes open for the 78- manifold on eBay!

Regards,
Jim
Old 08-10-08, 18:24
MLU Administrator

Looks like you need one of these (source: http://www.lwdparts.com/):

Quote:
For Sale
Muffler
Pipe, inlet cross assy.
C01Q-5267B
Price: € 15,00

Name:  Pipe1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  12.0 KB
Old 09-10-08, 04:19
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Hanno:
Thanks for reminding me to email LwD! I had seen the listing for this pipe awhile back and forgot to follow up. I have emailed Dirk this evening.

Regards,
Jim
Old 09-10-08, 18:06
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Price View Post
Thanks for reminding me to email LwD! I had seen the listing for this pipe awhile back and forgot to follow up. I have emailed Dirk this evening.
Jim,

My pleasure. Dirk´s shop is closed at the moment (he´s out shopping), so it might be a while before you get a reply. Plus he will need some time to figure out my referral fee, too

H.
Old 09-10-08, 18:23
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Hanno:
Emailed LwD yesterday and got a reply from Stefan this morning! He did confirm that Dirk was out shopping (Toronto, Ontario at the moment) filling a 40 Foot container. Is this a form of "border-raiding"?

Your referral fee will be taken into consideration........

Regards,
Jim