MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-08, 07:30

Default LP rifle stowage

Hi there, could some one please tell me where the stowage was for 303 rifles aboard Local Pattern carriers in NZ & Aust, Thanks David....
Old 02-02-08, 10:24
RIP

Default Carrier Rifle Stowage

David
I can't speak for Kiwi Carriers, but the only weaponary storage/holding provisions I have seen in Oz Carriers have been for the Vickers MMG, Lewis LMG, Bren Gun, Hotchkiss MMG, Boyes Anti-Tank Rifle and the Flare Pistol. Any individual weapons would have been randomly placed near the position of its owner, i.e driver, commander and crew.
Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 02-02-08, 10:44

Thanks Bob,
Old 03-02-08, 07:16

Default LP1 Crew Rifle Stowage

G'day David and Bob,

I agree with Bob that there is no provision for rifle stowage on the LP2 carriers, but there is on the LP1.

Three crew SMLE rifles were stowed at the front of the left and right rear compartments of the LP1 - one on the left and two on the right. The butts were placed in angled, felt-lined buckets and the forestock held with spring clips bolted to the airscoop. I believe that this is the same design as in the early English MG carriers. The crewman in the left rear compartment would be able to get hold of his rifle easily, but it would have been very difficult for the driver and gunner to get at theirs.

In the factory photos of the LP1 in Mike Cecil's book, the muzzles can be clearly seen poking up above the air scoop.

I would be very keen to hear from anyone with any of these spring clips. I believe they are similar (if not the same?) as what is found in CMP cabs. If anyone can confirm this , or has images, I would love to hear from you.

On that note, if anyone has any parts or pictures of LP1s I am very interested to hear from you.

Jared